• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now with pics! (page 5) So I sent 6 TMNT books to CCS to be pressed...

84 posts in this topic

And 4 of them came back with the following graders notes -

"Full/Right Front Cover Rippling/Warping"

or warping somewhere on the cover

A quick search for CGC warping turned up the following -

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3385&Pressed-Books

Prior to CCS, defects caused by pressing went unreported. Look at this as progress--the right hand of CGC documenting mistakes made by the left hand of CCS has made the pressing process far more efficient. :insane:

It happens. Every book is unique. A book may look perfect out of the press, and a slight ripple shows up a day or two later. And, a book can look perfect in hand, but when put in a bag/board and/or a slab, it can demonstrate some warping.

And, of course, many, many, many books (including several issues of MIrage's TMNT) had rippled cover and interior stock to start with.

Check out your copies of New Warriors #9, for instance, or X-Men #282. See how many you have that DON'T have some vertical rippling.

It's the single #1 problem with pressing. Too little humidity, and the book doesn't respond and/or paper memory kicks in and defects come back. Too much, and you have warping/rippling. It is an absolute tightrope walk.

There is an answer to fix it....most of the time...but I'm not going to cross that line with y'all. ;)

Looks like we're getting fallout from the notes....

:popcorn:

(PS. I do hope this post doesn't come across as an ad. lol )

Av 257 has similar issues.

TONS of mid 80's Marvels have these "issues." Secret Wars, New Mutants Special #1, Punisher limited series....lots of books from this era.

Not sure if this fits the bill, but a lot of copies of Silver Surfer's Thanos run (34-45 or so) I have come across have full rippling on back and front cover.

Yup.

#41 and #42 seem to be the worst of the lot, but it's throughout the run.

And 4 of them came back with the following graders notes -

"Full/Right Front Cover Rippling/Warping"

or warping somewhere on the cover

A quick search for CGC warping turned up the following -

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3385&Pressed-Books

Prior to CCS, defects caused by pressing went unreported. Look at this as progress--the right hand of CGC documenting mistakes made by the left hand of CCS has made the pressing process far more efficient. :insane:

Frankly, this should have happened years ago.

Keeping everything so secret has NOT benefitted anything; quite the contrary.

Plus...CGC benefitted greatly by adding CCS in-house. CGC graders started looking for things they never looked for before. See: butterfly/flared corners.

Rippling, flared corners, cockling, warping, and other pressing after effects aren't damaging to the book, and they are relatively easy to fix...but it takes time and patience...and time and patience...and time and patience.

Isn't rippling caused when you don't allow a book to properly cool before removing it from the pressue of the press?

Of cours, this could be your problem as well George:

So I sent 6 TMNT books to CCS

:foryou:

:P

Isn't rippling caused when you don't allow a book to properly cool before removing it from the pressue of the press?

That will cause some rippling/cockling/warping on many books, yes.

However, a book may be completely cold in the press, and still have rippling or waviness show up when removed, and sometimes even show up a while after being removed from the entire process.

Water causes cellulose fibers to fill, expanding them. Those expanded fibers have to go somewhere, and that creates ripples, cockles, and warping. If the moisture in the paper fibers isn't returned to its original "balance", even after pressing and heating, those defects will come back.

Tons of late eighties early nineties Marvels have the ripples'...drives me nuts,going through my collection and seeing books I remember buying off the stands and know they never came close to getting moist.Going to a show and seeing that all the other copies are the same makes me feel a bit better....

Pressing is never a sure thing.

It never is.

You're dealing with paper that is decades old, and was never meant to be preserved in the first place.

Frankly, I'm amazed at what's possible.

I have a few issues in my collection that have slight rippling to them. They were LCS bought brand new and just came that way. Doesn't look like water damage or anything like that. Just slightly wavy.

So does the rippling return after it's been pressed? If you have a rippled comic pressed and it was stored (properly) for a while, will it revert back to its original rippled state?

Part of the question is why would a book be downgraded for a production issue like rippling? Must every book be pressed and glass-flat to not be punished?

So does the rippling return after it's been pressed? If you have a rippled comic pressed and it was stored (properly) for a while, will it revert back to its original rippled state?

Part of the question is why would a book be downgraded for a production issue like rippling? Must every book be pressed and glass-flat to not be punished?

Because it "hasn't reached its full potential"? (shrug)lol

In some cases it will revert back, but at a percentage of the original waves or ripples. It is the main reason I hold some books the additional time to make sure I hit them again if it does happen.

I bet Matt will be retraining one of the new cocklings at CCS shortly.

I feel like I should hit the mod button, but I'm really not sure.

I feel like I should hit the mod button, but I'm really not sure.

You guys think this is so funny. It's all fun and games. moisture and pressing until someone's cockling gets hurt.