• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now with pics! (page 5) So I sent 6 TMNT books to CCS to be pressed...

84 posts in this topic

Has Friday come early!
I almost added a line "is it Friday yet?"

Really I am curious if it has to do with the cover stock and if anyone else has had this issue with TMNT books.

Initial post was mostly frustration, but really am curious.

A lot of new comics have a ripple to them, not 100% but I think it's the ink saturation on inferior paper. Or just wrong ink levels for the stock used.
These were from the 80s.

It happens. Every book is unique. A book may look perfect out of the press, and a slight ripple shows up a day or two later. And, a book can look perfect in hand, but when put in a bag/board and/or a slab, it can demonstrate some warping.

And, of course, many, many, many books (including several issues of MIrage's TMNT) had rippled cover and interior stock to start with.

Check out your copies of New Warriors #9, for instance, or X-Men #282. See how many you have that DON'T have some vertical rippling.

It's the single #1 problem with pressing. Too little humidity, and the book doesn't respond and/or paper memory kicks in and defects come back. Too much, and you have warping/rippling. It is an absolute tightrope walk.

There is an answer to fix it....most of the time...but I'm not going to cross that line with y'all. ;)

Looks like we're getting fallout from the notes....

:popcorn:

(PS. I do hope this post doesn't come across as an ad. lol )

It happens. Every book is unique. A book may look perfect out of the press, and a slight ripple shows up a day or two later. And, a book can look perfect in hand, but when put in a bag/board and/or a slab, it can demonstrate some warping.

And, of course, many, many, many books (including several issues of MIrage's TMNT) had rippled cover and interior stock to start with.

Check out your copies of New Warriors #9, for instance, or X-Men #282. See how many you have that DON'T have some vertical rippling.

It's the single #1 problem with pressing. Too little humidity, and the book doesn't respond and/or paper memory kicks in and defects come back. Too much, and you have warping/rippling. It is an absolute tightrope walk.

There is an answer to fix it....most of the time...but I'm not going to cross that line with y'all. ;)

Av 257 has similar issues.

TONS of mid 80's Marvels have these "issues." Secret Wars, New Mutants Special #1, Punisher limited series....lots of books from this era.

And 4 of them came back with the following graders notes -

"Full/Right Front Cover Rippling/Warping"

or warping somewhere on the cover

Was this defect there before you submitted? Seems like cover ripping/warping could easily be fixed by... :gossip:

TONS of mid 80's Marvels have these "issues." Secret Wars, New Mutants Special #1, Punisher limited series....lots of books from this era.

Not sure if this fits the bill, but a lot of copies of Silver Surfer's Thanos run (34-45 or so) I have come across have full rippling on back and front cover.