• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now with pics! (page 5) So I sent 6 TMNT books to CCS to be pressed...

84 posts in this topic

PS. Congrats on the Raph #1 9.4. That's a tough book in high grade!

:)

Thanks, and thanks for all the feedback.

Hopefully they offer to fix it for free and fast track it so I'm not waiting another 4 months.

Also get someone with a little more experience working on them.

RMA and Joey have said most of what I would say. And a few people have already stolen all the best jokes. So I would only add that the first three issues of the original run of TMNT are particularly challenging books to press. Odd size, odd paper, the first issue will get fingerprints just by getting close to it.

I'm pretty sure that CCS will take care of this when brought to their attention. It should be easy enough to "fix". Just goes to show anyone pressing can make a mistake.

Thanks Tony.

One more thought: it is not up to CGC to determine this. They have no way of knowing what happened to the book before it reached their hands. They can only grade a book as it exists in front of them.

That is why it is absolutely critical that the PRESSERS in the business take this issue by the horns, and have the professionalism to tell customers if a book is a potential problem for "quick" pressing and/or onsite grading, and discuss all that could potentially happen.

No one but the presser is in the position to make those kinds of calls.

I know I've released books before they were ready; some of them are sitting in my own collection. I've seen the same from CCS, and Matt runs a tight ship, and I've seen the same from other pressers, too.

So, any presser you choose has got to have the integrity to tell customers, upfront, the risks involved, including this one, so that the customer can decide if it's worth it to them. It makes choosing a presser who will be upfront and open, rather than elusive and secretive, that much more important.

(And no, this isn't an ad, complainers.)

So I got the books back in hand today.

The books were flat for the most part before being sent to CCS.

The #1 3rd print got it the worst -

7683C86C-D435-4923-86B7-C3BD07AD046B_zps4rnk4rch.jpg

C74F89A3-DDE2-4E7B-A736-7C52BBA3343C_zpszk2c8rq7.jpg

467804C3-6794-437D-9DAC-1984ED344F56_zpsod39656s.jpg

The Raphs -

7EECF726-B1BA-4A54-96EE-CEC9EEE5AD5D_zpskvat9zhy.jpg

A382490F-B257-4C77-8BD6-87C5693D3C23_zpsz0obvirq.jpg

And the 4 -

53E1BF33-1235-4908-A807-6D9F7F69BF7B_zpsyokuizjq.jpg

Ugh! :sick:

Awful job.

That looks pretty bad.

Who from CCS actually did the job?

Thanks Tony.

One more thought: it is not up to CGC to determine this. They have no way of knowing what happened to the book before it reached their hands. They can only grade a book as it exists in front of them.

That is why it is absolutely critical that the PRESSERS in the business take this issue by the horns, and have the professionalism to tell customers if a book is a potential problem for "quick" pressing and/or onsite grading, and discuss all that could potentially happen.

I know I've released books before they were ready; some of them are sitting in my own collection. I've seen the same from CCS, and Matt runs a tight ship, and I've seen the same from other pressers, too.

So, any presser you choose has got to have the integrity to tell customers, upfront, the risks involved, including this one, so that the customer can decide if it's worth it to them. It makes choosing a presser who will be upfront and open, rather than elusive and secretive, that much more important.

RMA, you've got a lot of great points. The bolded text isn't one of them. How did they put those books in those labels looking like that? I find it hard to believe that the waviness in these books magically appeared after the books were graded given the time between a press and the grading of a slow track book.

George, this one ranks right up there with the guy that got his batman book partially sealed in the inner well. Terrible, hope they make it right for you buddy.

Thanks Tony.

RMA, you've got a lot of great points. The bolded text isn't one of them. How did they put those books in those labels looking like that? I find it hard to believe that the waviness in these books magically appeared after the books were graded given the time between a press and the grading of a slow track book.

This response doesn't make any sense. Did you read the whole thread? The waviness, in this case, didn't magically appear. It existed at the time of grading. Gsims already stated that the notes include ""Full/Right Front Cover Rippling/Warping". which means the books were that way when they got to the grader. CGC can only grade a book as it exists in front of them.

Now, if you have an issue with the way CGC graded the book, that's a completely different topic.

The Raphs -

And the 4 -

Awful job.

That looks pretty bad.

Those grades are pretty decent to me.

Thanks Tony.

This response doesn't make any sense. Did you read the whole thread? The waviness, in this case, didn't magically appear. It existed at the time of grading. Gsims already stated that the notes include ""Full/Right Front Cover Rippling/Warping". which means the books were that way when they got to the grader. CGC can only grade a book as it exists in front of them.

Now, if you have an issue with the way CGC graded the book, that's a completely different topic.

If that waviness existed at the time of grading, then this whole mess ranks right up there with another grading companies problems involving a TMT book. Those books in that state are no where near the grades on the labels.

Thanks Tony.

If that waviness existed at the time of grading, then this whole mess ranks right up there with another grading companies problems involving a TMT book. Those books in that state are no where near the grades on the labels.

I don't (necessarily) agree, but I can certainly understand why someone would think that way.

All things considered, rippling/waviness is the least worrying, and most fixable, defect a comic can have.

:facepalm:

This thread will be 200 pages by Monday and it's all going to be your fault.

Thanks Tony.

I don't (necessarily) agree, but I can certainly understand why someone would think that way.

All things considered, rippling/waviness is the least worrying, and most fixable, defect a comic can have.

Something to remember is that the books also change how they look in the slabs. Meaning a book in the slab sometimes looks different than the same book outside the slab.

Stuff like static or pressures of the inner well can affect how a book sits at rest.

PS. Congrats on the Raph #1 9.4. That's a tough book in high grade!

:)

Thanks, and thanks for all the feedback.

Hopefully they offer to fix it for free and fast track it so I'm not waiting another 4 months.

Also get someone with a little more experience working on them.

If they don't I will George. I just want to offer some additional insight on the rippling you see on the books.

1. This can be caused by how "tight" the inner well is. Sometimes the seam on the well is so close to the edge of the book it "squeezes it" similar to the way a raw comic would if it was jammed into a bag that was too small for it. I have cracked out many a slab where the book had this type of rippling and once freed of its plastic tomb the book laid pretty flat. Typically the rippling is only on the top or bottom edge.

2. Magazine size comics are a completely different animal. I have presses set up that I ONLY use for magazine size comics. Once I was able to get them set up the way I wanted, I decided it was not worth changing out to do regular comics. Fortunately for me I get in tons of magazines (with excellent results) so they never sit idle (yes, it is a shameless plug). Due to the materials used on these books proper hydration and a proper cooling down cycle are essential.

I am surprised they got the grades they did which lends me to believe some of the rippling occurred after they were encapsulated.

The Raphs -

And the 4 -

Awful job.

That looks pretty bad.

Those grades are pretty decent to me.

Looks like Greggy pressed them with his butt.

I heard Matt is not doing the pressing anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

Last I heard from CCS is that he only works personally on the high-value books.

and the non-high-value books sit around for 3 years :frustrated:

Update for inquiring minds...

Called CCS this morning.

They are being repressed and regraded for free. They stated that "there was a time when things where in flux and this May have happened to a few books", not sure what that means...