• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are those Mile High Books?

59 posts in this topic

Looking at the current books in the upcoming Heritage auction I am just blown away that after all these years & with all the different pedigree books noted the Mile High books still seem to stand out. The quality is just stunning on some of the current books being offered....just WOW! Anyway it got me thinking do we know where or should I say who has say the top 10 key from this masterpiece collection? Yes I know the story of the Dentist & Action 1. But where are the Tec 27, Whiz (1) 2, Cap 1, Action 7, Marvel Mystery 1,Was there a Pep #22 in the collection? Also have most been graded at this point? Just wondering if we know as a community where the best of the best are? I assume many members have a few Mile High books but I am asking about the big dogs here, I didn't name all of them but please feel free to add any I left out?

Best known copy of Tec 27 is the Allentown owned by dentist. Not graded.

Church Tec 27 was second hand.

Cap 1 can be seen by searching Heritage Archive. It's restored. The 9.8 on the census is the Allentown owned by a prominent dealer.

Whiz(1) is super high grade, probably owned by dentist. Not graded.

Marvel 1 is super high grade owned by prominent dealer X. Not graded.

First part of Action run Church copies owned by dentist. Not graded.

Pep 22 is high grade last known to be owned by dentist. Not graded. Most all of the Pep run was last owned by Metropolis who shared some scans.

All American 16 is the 9.4 on the census owned by a prominent dealer X.

More Fun 53 is restored and can be seen in the Heritage Archives.

Flash 1 is the 9.6 on the census and owned by prominent dealer Y. I held it in my hands last month and it was gorgeous.

Heritage Archive is a good place to search for more. Many of the big Church books haven't been graded yet and owned by some of the people listed above as well as being spread among many collectors.

Best known copy of Tec 27 is the Allentown owned by dentist. Not graded.

Church Tec 27 was second hand.

Cap 1 can be seen by searching Heritage Archive. It's restored. The 9.8 on the census is the Allentown owned by a prominent dealer.

Whiz(1) is super high grade, probably owned by dentist. Not graded.

Marvel 1 is super high grade owned by prominent dealer X. Not graded.

First part of Action run Church copies owned by dentist. Not graded.

Pep 22 is high grade last known to be owned by dentist. Not graded. Most all of the Pep run was last owned by Metropolis who shared some scans.

All American 16 is the 9.4 on the census owned by a prominent dealer X.

More Fun 53 is restored and can be seen in the Heritage Archives.

Flash 1 is the 9.6 on the census and owned by prominent dealer Y. I held it in my hands last month and it was gorgeous.

Heritage Archive is a good place to search for more. Many of the big Church books haven't been graded yet and owned by some of the people listed above as well as being spread among many collectors.

Where can I find the metro scans of the Pep run?

I can't imagine being Chuck Rozanski & having all these books in one spot at one time, I know he has said it all worked out and he is cool with having had to let them go, but I have to be honest it would kill me, just kill me did I say kill me!

On the other hand, Chuck bought them for salvage prices, so it was all found money anyway.

I met Chuck a number of time in my youth in the early 80's. He was very nice to a young collector.

They were hosted temporarily on the Metro website years ago.

Anyone know the whereabouts of the Mile High copies of Batman 1 and Superman 1? I've seen the photo of Chuck holding those 2 books in his apartment right after the purchase, but I've always wondered what the grades were and where they're at today.

A missing Mile High that's intriguing is All-American #20 - not a major key obviously, but a very cool book (1-page origin).

I have a now de-slabbed CGC 8.5 that I purchased raw (long ago) from Gary Carter (as an infamous "Indian Reservation" copy).

It's been several years, but rumor had it that John Verzyl had a lead on where the book was - I don't know if there was a follow-up result or not.

I thought the Superman 1 was restored and owned by Bechara.

It was un-restored and now resides in the 8.0 blue label slab.

I know who has the Crime SuspenStories #4 :shy:

:grin:

lol But seriously, I've always wondered why there aren't more HG ECs in that collection.

Burrel Rowe bought most of the MH ECs. One of the very first Mile Highs I ever saw was International Crime #1. I am pretty sure he sold Geppi the bulk of what he had left in1982 or so. He had sold some individual books prior to that but he never labeled them as Mile Highs, just high grade copies.

Thank you. If anyone wants to share I would be grateful.

I think the images were protected so unless some took screenshots they aren't likely to be found.

They were incredible!

Thank you. If anyone wants to share I would be grateful.

I think the images were protected so unless some took screenshots they aren't likely to be found.

They were incredible!

Bummer! Their image hosting is difficult to save photos from still.

I know who has the Crime SuspenStories #4 :shy:

:grin:

lol But seriously, I've always wondered why there aren't more HG ECs in that collection.

Burrel Rowe bought most of the MH ECs. One of the very first Mile Highs I ever saw was International Crime #1. I am pretty sure he sold Geppi the bulk of what he had left in1982 or so. He had sold some individual books prior to that but he never labeled them as Mile Highs, just high grade copies.

Appreciate the info! Sounds like we won't see them come to the market anytime soon :sorry: