• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone have pics of cleaned and replaced staples? (pics added)

22 posts in this topic

Hey I'm looking for some example pics or cleaned and replaced staples because I'm suspicious of my asm 300

thanks in advance

front

ASM%20300%20front.jpg

Back

ASM%20300%20back.jpg

top staple pic

asm%20300%20top%20staple%20hole.jpg

Bottom staple pic

asm%20300%20bottom%20staple%20hole.jpg

Top staple centerfold pic

asm%20300%20top%20staple%20pic.jpg

Bottom staple centerfold pic

asm%20300%20bottom%20staple%20pic.jpg

Dirt on page pic

asm%20300%20dirt%20on%20page.jpg

Hey I'm looking for some example pics or cleaned and replaced staples because I'm suspicious of my asm 300

thanks in advance

why, is there something that looks odd. enlarged staple holes? are there different indentations in the centerfold where the prongs are pressed into the paper?

thanks in advance

why, is there something that looks odd. enlarged staple holes? are there different indentations in the centerfold where the prongs are pressed into the paper?

well the staples have a hole near them and I'm not sure if that because the staples moved around that much or someone messed with the staples I also check the staples with a loupe and the bottom on looks fine but the top one looks scratched to hell and front what I can see there's no rust but there are tears in the centerfold

It's unlikely that a book that new would have the staples replaced. Unless you see rust staining on the covers/pages around the staples, there would likely not be a need to clean/replace them. 2c

thanks I'll update the thread tomorrow with pics

What he said...pics?

how do I get a good close up of a staple?

Try a photography forum? (shrug)

Use a strong, natural light like sunlight to get as much detail as possible.

Don't be too close or too far with the camera.

You'll probably need a proper, decent camera rather than a cell phone.

Focus.

Hold still while you snap the picture.

What he said...pics?

how do I get a good close up of a staple?

Try a photography forum? (shrug)

Use a strong, natural light like sunlight to get as much detail as possible.

Don't be too close or too far with the camera.

You'll probably need a proper, decent camera rather than a cell phone.

Focus.

Hold still while you snap the picture.

Thanks that last part will be hard as I have shaky hands but I'll do my best

Lean up on something to reduce shaking.

Use a chair next to the book as a tripod. Something like that.

Lean up on something to reduce shaking.

Use a chair next to the book as a tripod. Something like that.

ok I'll give that a try :)

.....and my photography teacher said slow your breathing first and hold it,if you can,while taking the picture.Ive been practicing taking pics of coins.Roy's advice about using sunlight is spot on,just turn off the flash,and dont forget the book in the sun! :angel:

the OP sent me these pics a few minutes ago. In my opinion ( for what its worth ) the top staple does look suspect. the holes seem a bit too big, but aside from that, look at the centerfold pic and the way the staples are bent, plus the color of the staples looks dif. I'd really like to see this book in hand. makes no sense why someone would tamper with a newer book like this.

front

ASM%20300%20front.jpg

Back

ASM%20300%20back.jpg

top staple pic

asm%20300%20top%20staple%20hole.jpg

Bottom staple pic

asm%20300%20bottom%20staple%20hole.jpg

Top staple centerfold pic

asm%20300%20top%20staple%20pic.jpg

Bottom staple centerfold pic

asm%20300%20bottom%20staple%20pic.jpg

Dirt on page pic

asm%20300%20dirt%20on%20page.jpg

It's funny how things look when you magnify them like that -- every way up-close shot of staples that I've ever seen has looked much worse than in-hand (even on 9.8 books where people posted 10x views of the staples).

Add to the fact that the OP mentioned getting this book for cover price, I can't see any scenario where it would end up in NM condition for so long, had the staples replaced, and then ended up in a dollar bin for sale. It would be like color-touching a Batman 1 then selling it at a yard sale for 10 cents, it just wouldn't happen like that.

It's funny how things look when you magnify them like that -- every way up-close shot of staples that I've ever seen has looked much worse than in-hand (even on 9.8 books where people posted 10x views of the staples).

Add to the fact that the OP mentioned getting this book for cover price, I can't see any scenario where it would end up in NM condition for so long, had the staples replaced, and then ended up in a dollar bin for sale. It would be like color-touching a Batman 1 then selling it at a yard sale for 10 cents, it just wouldn't happen like that.

so you think it had some work done to it regarding staples?

No! lol My point is that it would make no sense for the staples to replaced on a book that would eventually end up being sold for $1.50.

No! lol My point is that it would make no sense for the staples to replaced on a book that would eventually end up being sold for $1.50.

ah I see I'm going to wait for a few more opinions before I decide to get this pressed and graded and I'll take into consideration what is said by you as well :)

I have replaced staple before and they look exactly like those pics-the lateral tearing, the unnatural bend to the staple....

ah I see I'm going to wait for a few more opinions before I decide to get this pressed and graded and I'll take into consideration what is said by you as well :)

I would be concerned a press would further damage the staple area. That staple tear look nasty.