• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need advice: Strange Tales 110 CGC 9.0 or higher

48 posts in this topic

We all have opinions. Mine is that there is definitely more room to grow. This is only the second real Lee-Ditko character and we all know how the other one fared.

It did shoot up because people know that they had to get a copy if they ever want one. And because there are many fewer ST110 than for example Preview 4 (which is a newer book) demand affects prices more and there is not the same possibility that speculators will gather 100 books and flood the market (again like Preview 4).

Also, Feige has clearly said that the phase that Marvel's cinematic plans are entering is the Mystic Phase... lead by the good doctor. I think he will be a stable in the marvel cinema universe for many years to come.

Let's save this thread and look back at these opinions in two years. I submit that GPA on average across all grades will surely have gone up.

Isn't the actor playing Dr. Strange signed to at least like 4 movies ?

-J.

I haven't heard about that.. but would make sense given all the other signals from Marvel.

That is standard operating procedure for contracts these days. They do it all the time in the event that a character or movie becomes popular. However, we have far many stories of failure than success.

Also, show me be article that directly quotes Feige stating this is the "Mystic Phase" lead by Dr. Strange. I have read lots of articles and nowhere I can find is he direct about that intention. In fact he really only seems to talk about all the other character movies they are bringing that are not really linked in any shape or form.

FYI - let's also not forget that their job is to hype *spoon* to keep it current in people's minds and many times it doesn't come true.

Lastly, no one cares if it is a Lee-Ditko character or what order it came in. People on comic forums that are well knowledgable might, but the general public just want an entertaining movie with an aspirational lead character. Does D Strange have potential, sure. Is he a sure thing, far from it.

Still can't find any article that has Feige calling phase 3 the "mystic phase..."

I am calling shenanigans until proof is given.

:shrug:

I've heard something similar as well.

Alexander may be paraphrasing a bit, but Feige essentially says it here:

http://marvel.com/news/movies/23542/marvels_doctor_strange_conjures_up_a_november_2016_release_date

-J.

Thanks for the article, but this is far from his statement that Feige is establishing Dr. Strange as the "center" of Marvel phase 3. He essentially highlights what he would like to explore using Dr. Strange as the movie to do it. This is no different than how they are using Guardians of the Galaxy, the Inhumans or any other of their properties...

I am all for Dr. Strange love (heh), but the statement and quote is untrue.

The gist of the phases if I recall was iron man, et al- science phase, guardians, et al- cosmic phase, strange, et al- mystic phase.

-J.

meh

Got the quote or article?

Even then it is still far from saying that Dr. Strange is going to be the center of Phase 3. Iron-Man was the center of phases 1 and 2 - not just 1 - if you are to take the paraphrase literally....

"The idea of the film is to open up a whole new corner in the cinematic universe."

Feige says that in the article I already linked. It's likely why so many are bullish on the book. (thumbs u

-J.

???

All he does is hype the movie and the "cool" angles he would like to take with the movie. He makes similar statements about Antman, Black Panther, Inhumans (etc) and more recently about potentially bringing back other characters. This says nothing about Dr. Strange being the center of the new phase.

People are bullish about the book because they are whore-mongering speculators or Dr. Strange enthusiasts.

Taking quotes, twisting them to drive additional hype is a large reason why people are so bullish about the book. B list character with a first appearance that doesn't have him on the cover is a risky investment based on a single green-lit movie.

Books are worth money long term because they have enduring characters. Dr. Strange hasn't proven himself yet. So unless you are buying to flip, you are taking a large inflated risk. (thumbs u

You are entitled to that opinion (thumbs u

As the Harry Potter movies started rolling out and the CG started becoming unbelievably awesome when magic was being used, I remember thinking to myself that Marvel could make an unreal Doctor Strange movie. I had this thought before any Dr Strange hype or announcements started. It was really the one time I went "all in" on a comic as I bought about 20 issues of St110 with my highest grade copy being a 9.0.

I am more excited about this movie than any other Marvel movie. I believe it will be another GOTG moment.

I don't see Dr Strange as a speculation "risk", I see it as a "cant miss". It's going to be awesome! The Cumberbatch casting is icing on the cake.

I still see some room for growth on ST110, but at this point I'd focus more on ST169, which is really a cool comic and is way more affordable. If you've got a few $K to spend find a nice 9.6 or pull the trigger on a 9.8.

Buy what makes you happy money and then don't look back. (thumbs u

-J.

:applause:

This is the answer to every comic book purchase question.

You're right, That is the answer to every comic purchase

Whenever I hear someone say such a statement "don't worry about the price, just buy what you like"... I always wonder if the motive is along these lines:

"just let me make money on comics and worry about value... you should just buy my stuff and I don't need you to worry about value.

When I give that advice, my motive isn't to sell them anything at all. They will buy or they won't buy.

I just don't like deciding for someone what they should buy or should they do it at all.

+1 When I say "Buy what you like", I'm saying "Don't expect to make a profit on the book". Included in this is don't pay more than you would for something to simply enjoy. So actually I'm saying you should be totally concerned with price, not the other way around.

The real issue is where will it land after the movie has launched. The new normal is buy to hold after the irrational exuberance of movie hype is over.

Yup, if I was looking to buy this book in High Grade, I would wait until at least 6 months after the movie comes out, and probably at or around the time the next Marvel movie is about to be in theaters stealing all the attention.

Then I would look for copies around the range I wanted that were in AUCTION format only, decide my real maximum bid, and look to steal a copy from an under performing auction during a time when the book is being ignored and has come off its movie highs....

The real issue is where will it land after the movie has launched. The new normal is buy to hold after the irrational exuberance of movie hype is over.

Yup, if I was looking to buy this book in High Grade, I would wait until at least 6 months after the movie comes out, and probably at or around the time the next Marvel movie is about to be in theaters stealing all the attention.

Then I would look for copies around the range I wanted that were in AUCTION format only, decide my real maximum bid, and look to steal a copy from an under performing auction during a time when the book is being ignored and has come off its movie highs....

This is some seriously great advice.

So... I guess sometime in 2017 start looking for a copy.

As the Harry Potter movies started rolling out and the CG started becoming unbelievably awesome when magic was being used, I remember thinking to myself that Marvel could make an unreal Doctor Strange movie. I had this thought before any Dr Strange hype or announcements started. It was really the one time I went "all in" on a comic as I bought about 20 issues of St110 with my highest grade copy being a 9.0.

I am more excited about this movie than any other Marvel movie. I believe it will be another GOTG moment.

I don't see Dr Strange as a speculation "risk", I see it as a "cant miss". It's going to be awesome! The Cumberbatch casting is icing on the cake.

I still see some room for growth on ST110, but at this point I'd focus more on ST169, which is really a cool comic and is way more affordable. If you've got a few $K to spend find a nice 9.6 or pull the trigger on a 9.8.

Kinda hard to be unbiased at this point...?

:shrug: