• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need advice: Strange Tales 110 CGC 9.0 or higher

48 posts in this topic

Hello,

I could really use and appreciate this forum's advice.

I have been a huge Doctor Strange fan for some time and was thrilled when I bought a Strange Tales 115 in CGC 9.2. However I also would like a high grade Strange Tales 110 as well.

That being said, prices have exponentially rose on this book and I am worried prices may fall due to a lackluster movie or if fans lose interest. What are your thoughts? Is it now overvalued, especially at the 9.2 level?

Any help is truly appreciated.

Kindly,

mint

It is certainly not overpriced at this stage. Rather it still has some time to go before it reaches a temporary plateau. There has been hardly any hype so far (except amongst the die-hards). This phase is the mystical phase for Marvel according to Feige... in other words (roughly speaking).. the time of Dr Strange! The current prices will look cheap in a year, and even cheaper in 2.

The real issue is where will it land after the movie has launched. The new normal is buy to hold after the irrational exuberance of movie hype is over.

Movie hype is over.... Tales of Suspense 39 was never a big book. Iron-man was at most a second row character. "A movie is coming, but when the hype is over.." ... and now many years later.... Iron-man is still at the center of Marvel's cinematic endeavors...

History shows that Marvel often do not see characters they choose to put the spotlight on as use and throw away.... rather they become and more used.

Again, who knows? But I think ST110 is prices are higher in both 1, 2, and 3 years. It's a bit unrealistic to look further into the future than that...

But the OPs question seems to be if the book has already topped - I definitely think not.

Hello,

I could really use and appreciate this forum's advice.

I have been a huge Doctor Strange fan for some time and was thrilled when I bought a Strange Tales 115 in CGC 9.2. However I also would like a high grade Strange Tales 110 as well.

That being said, prices have exponentially rose on this book and I am worried prices may fall due to a lackluster movie or if fans lose interest. What are your thoughts? Is it now overvalued, especially at the 9.2 level?

Any help is truly appreciated.

Kindly,

mint

It has some room to move, especially with no trailer yet etc.

However hard to predict what will happen shortly after. Selling around the movie is really common, that's usually the best time to sell, not to buy.

Even the people who spent 150K on TOS 39 9.4 or 70K on a 9.2 I'm sure aren't very excited about current prices, so if you want to buy, I would suggest to do it quickly.

That's the question. Is Strange Tales 110 another Tales of Suspense 39? Or another Marvel Preview 4. With the Iron Man movie ToS 39 basically tripled and has risen a bit more slowly since then. With the Guardians of the Galaxy movie Marvel Preview 4 went up tenfold and has pulled back. Strange Tales 110 seems to be somewhere in the middle at 4 or 5 times prehype levels. Could continue to rise, could drop. Buy a comic because you want the comic, not to speculate on its future value and you can't go wrong.

Truth is, nobody knows today whether the book will increase or decrease in selling price over the next couple years.

The last sale of a 9.0 copy recorded in GPA is from August 2014 for $23,500 ( :banana: ), which more than crushed the prior recorded high of $6,200. That's a lot of price appreciation in a short time period. Whether it will sell even higher in the near term is anyone's guess.

Truth is, nobody knows today whether the book will increase or decrease in selling price over the next couple years.

The last sale of a 9.0 copy recorded in GPA is from August 2014 for $23,500 ( :banana: ), which more than crushed the prior recorded high of $6,200. That's a lot of price appreciation in a short time period. Whether it will sell even higher in the near term is anyone's guess.

And that is what truly scares me. I missed out on a Hulk 1 in CGC 9.2 I could have had for $70,000 because I like to spend $3,000 or less per book. However, I really like Dr. Strange and don't want to make that kind of mistake again. I'm already ecstatic as several key books I have have literally tripled in price and I already let go of these to put the money into something...like a ST 110.

If you really want it as a keeper and can afford it then go for it. For my taste it shot up too quick which usually means speculators are in it. It still has room to grow.

Think Green Lantern.... You never know.

This would be my take as well.

A tiny bit of data from GPA: There was that $23,500 sale of a 9.0 last August, but an 8.5 went for only $10,456 in February.

Now, of course, maybe the 9.0 looked improvable and the 8.5 may have been weak for the grade -- I don't know because I don't follow this book that closely. Still, possibly a straw in the wind.

One other point often made about this book is that the failure of Doctor Strange to appear on the cover may put a ceiling on prices.

A tiny bit of data from GPA: There was that $23,500 sale of a 9.0 last August, but an 8.5 went for only $10,456 in February.

Now, of course, maybe the 9.0 looked improvable and the 8.5 may have been weak for the grade -- I don't know because I don't follow this book that closely. Still, possibly a straw in the wind.

The record 9.0 was my copy, and was thought by some to be improvable. To my eye, it looked like a 9.0 with only a long shot at 9.2:

ST110cgc.jpg

Depends do you want the book long term or to flip. Because if you buy in now its going to cost more for HG. But if you wait until after the movie it might receed. IMO 110s have platued a bit and the big run up is already passed by.

Case and point 2 years ago I got a 7.5 for $1650 it recently sold for 6k and it was not an easy sale. I had to do some leg work to move it. I would think there would be another spike with a trailer and some more actors attached villains ect.

Doc should gain more popularity but seeing a epic Hulk like Spike of last summer I would not bet on that.

I think the book was really undervalued. Yes there is some speculation in the current prices . If your a huge fan and really just want the book in high grade grab one. If a good percentage of the cash you have saved is from proceeds on the recent hype you don't have a lot to loose.

Buy what makes you happy and then don't look back. (thumbs u

-J.

He knows this and has probably given this advice over 100 times before.

In my opinion, Dr. Strange is probably close to as high as it will ever be. I think it's a book that jumped insanely already. Let's not forget he's a 2nd tier/3rd tier character. (thumbs u

Book is getting really expensive due to speculation on a relatively little known character.

If you are looking to make money or hold value, wait until 6 months after the movie when the speculators are bailing. Most of these minor keys see deflation post a speculation period.

If you are looking for it because you love the character, same advice.