• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Philadelphia -- June 2-5, 2016

93 posts in this topic

This may have been my last one. They should just rename it the Funko Pop Con. That seemed to be every other booth.

I totally agree with this statement. For every 1 comic dealer, there was at least 3-4 Funko Pop dealers.

This may have been my last one. They should just rename it the Funko Pop Con. That seemed to be every other booth.

I totally agree with this statement. For every 1 comic dealer, there was at least 3-4 Funko Pop dealers.

A guy selling Funkos today warned me he thinks they are the beanie babies of the future. At least he is being honest. I asked him why he then had them front and center and the books in back. He said the Funkos bring in 5 times what he makes a books.

Took my nephew on Saturday. He really wanted to meet Christopher Lloyd. Which never happened. Lloyd showed up an hour late for his signing and cut off signing right on time. Even some VIP's didn't get their stuff signed. The waiting lines were not really thought out very well. Chalk lines don't really keep the people in the back in place like fencing and barricades do. When the people from Wizard were handing out numbered cards for the next signing, people in the back were rushing to the front to get early numbers and the volunteers and security did nothing about it. We just decided to leave. Went to the ticket booth for a refund and the people at the ticket kept trying to talk us out of it. Didn't want to wait another 2 hours to wait another several hours and still not getting my nephew to meet him. I will not go to another Wizard Convention but I did get several good books out of it. I was also disappointed in the amount of dealers there. Maybe they were at AwesomeCon in D.C. that going on this weekend too.

Awesome Con had the best selection of dealers I've seen at any shower other than Wizard World Chicago or Baltimore.

Took my nephew on Saturday. He really wanted to meet Christopher Lloyd. Which never happened. Lloyd showed up an hour late for his signing and cut off signing right on time. Even some VIP's didn't get their stuff signed. The waiting lines were not really thought out very well. Chalk lines don't really keep the people in the back in place like fencing and barricades do. When the people from Wizard were handing out numbered cards for the next signing, people in the back were rushing to the front to get early numbers and the volunteers and security did nothing about it. We just decided to leave. Went to the ticket booth for a refund and the people at the ticket kept trying to talk us out of it. Didn't want to wait another 2 hours to wait another several hours and still not getting my nephew to meet him. I will not go to another Wizard Convention but I did get several good books out of it. I was also disappointed in the amount of dealers there. Maybe they were at AwesomeCon in D.C. that going on this weekend too.

Awesome Con had the best selection of dealers I've seen at any shower other than Wizard World Chicago or Baltimore.

I'm guessing these are the only three shows you go to. Check out Pug Productions shows if you're in N. NJ and the Essington airport show if you're in S. NJ. Less admission, less crowds, dealers that know their inventory, etc.

I'm guessing these are the only three shows you go to. Check out Pug Productions shows if you're in N. NJ and the Essington airport show if you're in S. NJ. Less admission, less crowds, dealers that know their inventory, etc.

As far as upcoming shows in the Northeast, Eternal Con NY, coming up this Friday thru Sunday...and in July, there is Garden State Comic Fest.

Both of these shows have a very high percentage of comic dealers.

http://www.eternalcon.com/

http://www.gardenstatecomicfest.com/home.html

Yeah. The shows in Cherry Hill and the one at the Clarion have more comics than what was at WW. They may not have as many high dollar books, but they sure as heck have more comics overall.

No, I've been to shows all over, but mostly mid-Atlantic or south. I was more commenting on shows that aren't purely comic based (though Baltimore is almost entirely). For a show that is pop culture focused, as most wizard shows are, awesome con had a really good selection of dealers as compared to some other shows I've been to in the last year.

No, I've been to shows all over, but mostly mid-Atlantic or south. I was more commenting on shows that aren't purely comic based (though Baltimore is almost entirely). For a show that is pop culture focused, as most wizard shows are, awesome con had a really good selection of dealers as compared to some other shows I've been to in the last year.

It was disappointing with the lack of dealers there but that wasn't my big complaint about the convention. The ones they did have were really good dealers and nice guys. It was the autograph booth set-up. It was just the fact there was no first-come, first-serve in getting back in the autograph line if the guest's time runs out and will return later. People in the back rushing over the chalk lines and grabbing all the early number tickets. And eBayers made it worse with wanting 10,20 or 30 items to have autographed when all my nephew wanted to do was meet the guy who played one of favorite characters. Wizard World should've capped the total number of autographs to be sold and how many autographs that 1 person can get.

It was disappointing with the lack of dealers there but that wasn't my big complaint about the convention. The ones they did have were really good dealers and nice guys. It was the autograph booth set-up. It was just the fact there was no first-come, first-serve in getting back in the autograph line if the guest's time runs out and will return later. People in the back rushing over the chalk lines and grabbing all the early number tickets. And eBayers made it worse with wanting 10,20 or 30 items to have autographed when all my nephew wanted to do was meet the guy who played one of favorite characters. Wizard World should've capped the total number of autographs to be sold and how many autographs that 1 person can get.

It is an interesting dilemma. It is akin to limiting new comics to 1/person - there are pros and cons on either side but each individual retailer makes their own decision and then customers can react accordingly. But Wizard is likely too big to care about individual customers and is only concerned with the bottom line. It may be how big companies become smaller companies but many seem to go this route.

Wizard World is a Hollywood event and not for most collectors. :(

I would agree and think that the Baltimore show is a much better choice if you are looking to buy books. Reece, Storms, Roberts are almost always all there plus a bunch of others.