• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second (err I mean Third) Most Important Fantastic Four Book

46 posts in this topic

Reason I can't place FF4 before FF48 is because Surfer is just too cool, and Namor is like Aquaman's shirtless older brother.

So, what you're saying is that you haven't read any Namor? Thanks for talking out of your other end.

Reason I can't place FF4 before FF48 is because Surfer is just too cool, and Namor is like Aquaman's shirtless older brother.

So, what you're saying is that you haven't read any Namor? Thanks for talking out of your other end.

Figured that's the only end you could understand, so you're welcome.

If the question of importance is in relation to just the FF, then it's got to be #48. As to importance in the overall MU, I'd probably still give the nod to #48, though I think a strong case can be made for Namor. Fwiw, I think Namor's importance started to wane by the mid-80's while interest in SS and Galactus continued to grow.

Last I heard rights reverted back to Marvel. From wikipedia:

On June 3, 2014, Kit confirmed that Marvel, not Universal now has the Namor film rights. On July 18, 2014, Feige told IGN in an interview that the Namor film rights are not with Universal and Legendary Pictures, but he explained there are a number of contracts and deals that need to be sorted out.

Looks like you're correct. Though, it is mentioned a few times, that it's not "quite that simple"... I dunno what that means.

I'm not sure either, but I'd love to see them run with it. I feel like he'd be tough to make a movie around, but if DC is doing Aquaman....maybe there's hope?

I think Namor is an important character and appreciate his Golden Age impact with Timely/Marvel - but I just don't see how he is more important to the Silver/Bronze/Copper Marvel universe than Silver Surfer and Galactus.

Am I missing something or is this just a love for Namor/Sub-Mariner that I don't have?

I would put it this way: Namor is a very important character but chiefly in its relationship with the Fantastic Four, while Captain America, as he was properly reintroduced in the SA became an equally relevant character as it was in the GA.

Anyway, I still mantain Namor is more difficult to write: we aren’t definitely in times of "honor and bold heroes" (with his peculiar code of honor, but regardless) and neither much love for monarchy, so Cap might be written easier, although it remains another character requiring a good background to write it properly.

Acquaman? DC Comics has never been anying close to Marvel, just something different so I won’t compare the two publishers…

And Silver Surfer is another character which is not so easy to mantain, so similar to Namor anyway, and not the easiest to write as well.