• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second (err I mean Third) Most Important Fantastic Four Book

46 posts in this topic

I was having this debate with some friends and my choice was Fantastic Four 48 - it was met with opposition, but I still think i am right :)

What is the board consensus? FF48 vs FF2 vs FF12 vs FF45 vs FF52 vs ?????

blargh - sorry to leave #5 off my initial list - silly mistake! Oddly enough it didn't really come-up in the debate :( Which was mainly focused around how FF45 and FF52 are somehow more expensive now than FF48 - which is uttelry ridiculous.

So I may have to admit that #5 is the second most important - but I will just state that FF48 has a Marvel Universe tilting story with the Surfer/Galactus storyline (FF48-50) and has 2 of the most important first appearances in the entire FF line. (but I think I have to admit that #5 comes second still - geesh how do I forget that book - I blame it on the beer).

So let's say THIRD most important book - clearly FF48 right????

FF4 is mighty close to FF5.

Then FF48.

I just can't see the re-introduction of Namor as more important than the 1st Silver Surfer and Galactus. Namor was huge in Marvel/Timely's Golden Age, but not so much in the silver age, bronze age etc. Especially compared to the impact of Silver Surfer and Galactus in the Silver, Bronze and copper age.

To me it is FF1 > FF5 > FF48 > FF4 > FF2 > FF52 .... not sure about 12, 45, 13, 3 etc.

FF 1 > FF 5 > FF 2 > FF 48 > FF 52 > FF 45

Where does FF 12 or 4 fit into the above?

I pretty much agree with this, but FF#2 and FF#48 have pretty much the same level of importance. Not just because of the Skrulls, but FF#1, 2 and 3 are all key books for one reason or the other. FF#3 in some way is the proper beginning of the saga, as they don costumes and establish headquarters.

After these, I would put FF#13 before #45, as the Blue Area of the Moon, which would have been such a key element for both the Kree civilization and the Inhumans, predates the introduction of the Inhumans. And I would also have doubts in chosing FF#45 over FF#36 because, aside from Medusa, the Frightful Four are as much important as Dr. Doom and Galactus as FF's first enemies.

FF#12, fun as it may be, is not a key to me. Just because it’s the first time the Thing meets Hulk?

And for Namor, honestly I believe they are more important certain books from his own run or from Super-Villain team up to see his complex character developing from the Golden to the Bronze Age. #4 is important, but clearly not as #5 or #48, because he is simply reintroduced. Maybe FF Annual #1 would be a better choice than #4 in terms of content, although #4 remains important in a similar way to Avengers #4.

blargh - sorry to leave #5 off my initial list - silly mistake! Oddly enough it didn't really come-up in the debate :( Which was mainly focused around how FF45 and FF52 are somehow more expensive now than FF48 - which is uttelry ridiculous.

So I may have to admit that #5 is the second most important - but I will just state that FF48 has a Marvel Universe tilting story with the Surfer/Galactus storyline (FF48-50) and has 2 of the most important first appearances in the entire FF line. (but I think I have to admit that #5 comes second still - geesh how do I forget that book - I blame it on the beer).

value and importance aren't always the same thing, when the population varies widely. FF 48 is unusually common due to a warehouse(s) find. I recall seeing stacks of uncirculated copies selling for a few bucks each.

value and importance aren't always the same thing, when the population varies widely. FF 48 is unusually common due to a warehouse(s) find. I recall seeing stacks of uncirculated copies selling for a few bucks each.

Oh I realize value does not always equal importance. I was just frustrated with people arguing that FF45 and 52 were more important and pointing to their value as an indicator :)