• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: Flash 105 or Justice League of America 1?

Bigger SA Key: Flash 105 or JLA 1  

285 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA Key: Flash 105 or JLA 1

424 posts in this topic

My logical connections started with a quote substantiating my POV. I can't prove what they did or did not talk about, but it really doesn't matter because Stan was quoted saying the JLA did influence the creation. Either way it isn't a reach to assume people in the comic business talk about their direct competition's new releases. This is pretty standard business behavior.

Your points start and end with your opinion.

:shrug:

I don't disagree with anything you've just said, nor have I disagreed with it at any point.

You're looking for windmills that don't exist.

Scratch that...I do disagree, mildly, with the contention that creators talk about their direct competition's new releases.

I have asked creator after creator after creator what they thought about thus and such, even including creators who worked in the same title directly before them (in this case, Wolfman and Starlin on Batman), and they have told me that they don't consider what someone else did when they do their work. It's someone else's work.

If that's true on the same title within the same company, it probably holds for other titles from the competition, as well.

My logical connections started with a quote substantiating my POV. I can't prove what they did or did not talk about, but it really doesn't matter because Stan was quoted saying the JLA did influence the creation. Either way it isn't a reach to assume people in the comic business talk about their direct competition's new releases. This is pretty standard business behavior.

I don't disagree with anything you've just said, nor have I disagreed with it at any point.

Scratch that...I do disagree, mildly, with the contention that creators talk about their direct competition's new releases.

I have asked creator after creator after creator what they thought about thus and such, even including creators who worked in the same title directly before them (in this case, Wolfman and Starlin on Batman), and they have told me that they don't consider what someone else did when they do their work. It's someone else's work.

If that's true on the same title within the same company, it probably holds for other titles from the competition, as well.

Many people claim their work is original or not influenced by others. However, by the act of reading and seeing the other comics they are by default, influenced.

However this really isn't the point as the level of influence is really what you are debating and I only have the one quote to substantiate.

Don't worry if RMA is wrong or not, it only matters that RMA speaks with conviction about RMA's point of view and in that RMA is certain. Oh and the critical dissection of posts helps draw attention away.

Don't worry, RMA is correct. Just ask RMA.

You have an RMA-shaped chip on your shoulder, and you need to get rid of it.

Don't be angry when you are challenged. The simple solution to "put me in my place" is to prove me wrong. While you may think I'd have a problem with that, the opposite is true.

All this silly aggression serves no good purpose.

Not sure what is aggressive about it...?

Then you have a great problem.

I think it is funny that you think people's animosity with you is misplaced.

You're a mind reader...? That's pretty good chutzpah. You do not know, and cannot speak to, what I think about others. Whether your animosity is "misplaced" or not is irrelevant. You can have animus towards me all you wish, justified or not...you cannot, however, express it.

I am hardly the first person on here to get frustrated with you.

You are also hardly the first person on here to make ill-informed, erroneous statements, or who lets their emotions overrule their reason.

You justify your lashing out because "everyone else is doing it"...? Others have said you couldn't be more than 15 by the way you react to people. I tend to agree.

Many people claim their work is original or not influenced by others. However, by the act of reading and seeing the other comics they are by default, influenced.

That's quite a bold statement.

You mean, if I saw a movie 30 years ago, by virtue of the fact that I saw it, then...by default, mind you...it has now influenced everything else I do?

And how do you know that Wolfman red or saw Starlin's Batman work?

However this really isn't the point as the level of influence is really what you are debating and I only have the one quote to substantiate.

Yes, that is correct. From the original post which inspired ( :D ) this current thread of conversation, I am speaking to LEVELS of influence.

You were quick to say "Well, Stan Lee SAID it directly influenced FF #1, so THERE!" as if I'd said that wasn't the case.

I did not. Even a casual reading of what I said demonstrates that.

The "RMA isn't wrong. Just ask RMA" posts that followed were aggressive, unnecessary, and designed only to provoke.

Don't worry if RMA is wrong or not, it only matters that RMA speaks with conviction about RMA's point of view and in that RMA is certain. Oh and the critical dissection of posts helps draw attention away.

Don't worry, RMA is correct. Just ask RMA.

You have an RMA-shaped chip on your shoulder, and you need to get rid of it.

Don't be angry when you are challenged. The simple solution to "put me in my place" is to prove me wrong. While you may think I'd have a problem with that, the opposite is true.

All this silly aggression serves no good purpose.

Not sure what is aggressive about it...?

Then you have a great problem.

I think it is funny that you think people's animosity with you is misplaced.

You're a mind reader...? That's pretty good chutzpah. You do not know, and cannot speak to, what I think about others. Whether your animosity is "misplaced" or not is irrelevant. You can have animus towards me all you wish, justified or not...you cannot, however, express it.

I am hardly the first person on here to get frustrated with you.

You are also hardly the first person on here to make ill-informed, erroneous statements, or who lets their emotions overrule their reason.

You justify your lashing out because "everyone else is doing it"...? Others have said you couldn't be more than 15 by the way you react to people. I tend to agree.

I guess better to be the 15 year old expressing frustration with someone who refutes anything they don't personally agree with, than the (just guessing here) Greatest Generation board member who clearly acts as if they are educating people on here on just about everything.

You point at me and say I have a problem, I point at you and say your attitude and approach are a problem.

eh

For the record my statements are neither ill-informed nor erroneous, you just don't happen to agree with most of them. Your opinion versus mine 99% of the time. I try to include facts where I can, but admittedly the nature of all of this is personal opinions. We don't like what each other say or how we say it.

Again eh

FYI - your choosing to focus on "how" is a "way of talking around a point."

How, exactly? Educate me. I am the pupil, you are the teacher. Instruct me how, exactly, that a discussion which I initiated (I'm talking about the topic of influence, and its affect on FF #1, now, not the whole thread) is "talking around a point"? Which point, exactly, was "talked around", and how was it done?

:popcorn:

How, exactly? Educate me. I am the pupil, you are the teacher. Instruct me how, exactly, that a discussion which I initiated (I'm talking about the topic of influence, and its affect on FF #1, now, not the whole thread) is "talking around a point"? Which point, exactly, was "talked around", and how was it done?

now that is funny - you pretending anyone around here can teach people things beside you

lol

I guess better to be the 15 year old expressing frustration with someone who refutes anything they don't personally agree with, than the (just guessing here) Greatest Generation board member who clearly acts as if they are educating people on here on just about everything.

And this is all your business to get upset about...how?

Let's assume what you've said is true. Let's assume the only reason I'm here is to "educate people on here on just about everything" (which is, of course, ridiculous hyperbole, but let's assume it's true for the sake of the argument.)

How is that your business?

Is it your place to "warn" others about me?

Isn't that incredibly presumptuous?

Isn't everyone perfectly capable of making up their own minds, for themselves, who is what to them? Aren't you being incredibly presumptuous to imagine that other people see me the same way you do? And even if some do, that doesn't mean everyone does...does that give you the right to continually make a public issue of it?

And doesn't EVERYBODY who posts a disagreement simply "refuting something they don't personally agree with"...?

You point at me and say I have a problem, I point at you and say your attitude and approach are a problem.

I think your attitude and approach are a problem, too.

So?

Do I have the right to point it out?

Nope.

Do I have the right to make aggressive posts....unprovoked...like you did here?

Nope.

Who am I, to publicly complain about how and what you post?

Nobody.

So what right do you then have to do that?

Answer: none at all.

For the record my statements are neither ill-informed nor erroneous, you just don't happen to agree with most of them.

You have made many ill-informed and erroneous statements, including this one:

"Don't worry, RMA is correct. Just ask RMA."

That is an ill-informed, erroneous statement that is flatly contradicted by the vast body of posts I have on this board. I am not averse to being wrong. But asking that you PROVE me wrong, rather than just say "you're wrong! You always think you're right!!" is hardly unreasonable.

That makes that statement...among many, many, many others...ill-informed and erroneous.

Your opinion versus mine 99% of the time. I try to include facts where I can, but admittedly the nature of all of this is personal opinions. We don't like what each other say or how we say it.

And where do you find me making personal statements against you, unprovoked?

You don't.

And yet, you do that, and not just to me (you did it to Muster Mark in this very thread.)

That is the critical difference which you must understand.

I don't care what you do or say, provided you don't make it personal. If you want to disagree with me, disagree. I'm a big boy, and I can certainly handle it. And that's the critical difference between you and me. You have a problem with what I say. I don't have a problem with what you say, except when it's personally directed at me. Basic, foundational, critical difference.

The point remains: you let your "frustration" (that is, your emotions) rule your reason, and so you lash out. You think said lashing out is not only justified, but acceptable since you "aren't the only one who feels that way."

If you have a problem with what I say, and how I say it, take it up with the moderators. If they agree, they'll certainly step in and take care of it.

But if they don't....then it's not your place to go around lashing out at people, and that puts YOU...not your targets...at risk.

now that is funny - you pretending anyone around here can teach people things beside you

lol

That's a perfect example of unnecessary aggression and hostility...not to mention, erroneous and ill-informed.

This statement sums up my problem with you.

Side note - short of using profanity, posting about politics or religion, disparaging CGC, promoting a competitor or being extremely disrespectful (and I do mean extreme) - you can pretty much say anything on here. There are no "rights" to or for anyone.

Side note - short of using profanity, posting about politics or religion, disparaging CGC, promoting a competitor or being extremely disrespectful (and I do mean extreme) - you can pretty much say anything on here. There are no "rights" to or for anyone.

You completely ignore the rest of the post, and pluck one sentence out of it to complain.

Amazing. How do you not see it? There is none so blind, after all....

You must understand it, or you are going to continue to be frustrated and annoyed by things that you shouldn't let frustrate and annoy you.

You think I'm ordering you to do something. That sums up the problem you actually have. You do what you want, and nobody puts Baby into a corner. Don't you dare disagree with rfoiii, or he gets personal.

If you won't understand, or can't understand, you will remain annoyed and frustrated. The choice is yours. You are, as always, free to believe what you want.

And no, you don't have the right to say anything you want. If you imagine you can go after people personally, you got another think coming.

You completely ignore the rest of the post, and pluck one sentence out of it to complain.

You must understand it, or you are going to continue to be frustrated and annoyed by things that you shouldn't let frustrate and annoy you.

You think I'm ordering you to do something. That sums up the problem you actually have.

If you won't understand, or can't understand, you will remain annoyed and frustrated. The choice is yours. You are, as always, free to do whatever you want.

And no, you don't have the right to say anything you want. If you imagine you can go after people personally, you got another think coming.

:blahblah:

Seriously do you ever get off your soapbox?

Everything you say and how you say it is condescending.

FYI - you frequently pick and choose what you want to respond to within posts. In fact, it is core to your entire posting style. Pot meet kettle.

You think I'm ordering you to do something. That sums up the problem you actually have.

If you won't understand, or can't understand, you will remain annoyed and frustrated. The choice is yours. You are, as always, free to do whatever you want.

:blahblah:

Seriously do you ever get off your soapbox?

Do you ever get off yours? This whole conversation began with you getting on your soapbox, and you ask if someone else gets off theirs...?

The disconnect is amazing.

Everything you say and how you say it is condescending.

To people with chips on their shoulders, yes, that's how it always looks.

Is that your right to complain publicly about your perception of my posting?

Nope.

FYI - you frequently pick and choose what you want to respond to within posts. In fact, it is core to your entire posting style. Pot meet kettle.

That is, of course, another erroneous statement (is using "of course" offensive to you? I rather think so.) I don't "pick and choose" any such thing. I reply to each thought separately, but in serious discussions, nothing is "edited out."

Taking each thought as it comes, but preserving the entire post within that context, is not anywhere near the same thing as "picking and choosing what I want to respond to." That you make that claim only reinforces everything I've been saying.

So, no, no "pot meet kettle." You have a chip on your shoulder, and it looks like me. Unless you get rid of it, you will always have this problem.

Unless you get rid of it, you will always have this problem.

Thank you for teaching me about my problems.

Don't you ever get tired of giving so much?

FYI - I love that even my "problem" is about you. So arrogant. lol

Aren't you, telling me how this I am, and how that I am, doing the exact same thing...?

One of us has a problem, rfoiii, that's for sure..

No, your problem is about you, not me. I am only the current focus. Unless something changes, you will have this problem long after I am gone from your world.

Aren't you, telling me how this I am, and how that I am, doing the exact same thing...?

No, your problem is about you, not me. I am only the current focus. Unless something changes, you will have this problem long after I am gone from your world.

Still teaching, or is it preaching? Feels a bit preachy as it goes along...

Seriously, do you ever get tired of the sound of your fingers on the keyboard (I would say "sound of your voice" but I hope you don't read it all out-loud)?

Is there anything wrong with how you do things? Approach these conversations? Your tone is always even and your are never acting out of place? Or is everything you say and do "just great?"

Zero accountability, is it all me? :shrug:

Still teaching, or is it preaching? Feels a bit preachy as it goes along...

Seriously, do you ever get tired of the sound of your fingers on the keyboard (I would say "sound of your voice" but I hope you don't read it all out-loud)?

Is there anything wrong with how you do things? Approach these conversations? Your tone is always even and your are never acting out of place? Or is everything you say and do "just great?"

Zero accountability, is it all me? :shrug:

Let's wrap this up with something that is unequivocal: If you have a problem with the way I post, take it up with the moderators. I don't tell you or anyone else how to post...neither should you be telling anyone else how to, either.

Otherwise...mind your own business, and I'll mind mine. If you come after me, I will respond. If you refuse to let it go, *I* will take it up with the moderators.

It really is that simple.