• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So long to the voice of Simsons Characters Ned Flanders, Mr. Burns, Mr. Smithers

8 posts in this topic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3081191/The-Simpsons-loses-voice-Mr-Burns-actor-Harry-Shearer-quits-26-years-contract-issues.html

The Simpsons loses the voice of Mr Burns as actor Harry Shearer quits after 26 years over contract issues

Voice actor Harry Shearer has announced that he's leaving The Simpsons after being a cast member since its US premiere in 1989.

Cartoon veteran Shearer, who voices Mr Burns, Ned Flanders and Principle Skinner, tweeted to confirm the news on Wednesday, saying that he wanted 'freedom to do other work'.

TMZ reports that the 71-year-old has quit following a breakdown in talks over his contract and it was Simpsons writer and director James L. Brooks' attorney who broke the story via Twitter.

He says a decision was made by the show's producers not to renew his contract.

Sharing a message from the lawyer, Shearer quoted the team as saying that the show will go on without him.

He wrote: 'from James L. Brooks' lawyer: "show will go on, Harry will not be part of it, wish him the best." '

In a second tweet, Shearer continued: 'This because I wanted what we've always had: the freedom to do other work. Of course, I wish him the very best.'

Memorable: Shearer is best known for voicing Homer's boss Mr Burns

Later Shearer - who is also known for characters Kent Brockman and Smithers - added his own words to his followers, saying: 'Thanks, Simpsons fans, for your support.'

Sources told TMZ on Wednesday that Shearer was the last cast member to sign a two-year extension to his contract because he has disputed 'back end and merchandising parts' since October last year.

He reportedly refused to sign the contract, while all other members of the cast took on the new terms.

I can do a pretty convincing Burns. I will work for a fraction of the salary he demanded.

Seriously...

Yeah, I was shocked at how much he got paid (300K/episode).

And that's not even including whatever residuals he may get. How does that work? Is it different with voice actors? I'd imagine it's similar/same to whatever "real" actors get.

The show is almost in perpetual run.