• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MOTOR CITY COMIC CON, May 13-15, 2016, Novi, Michigan

38 posts in this topic

Friday's not bad. Saturday is the Queen Mother of lines.

And everyone should be aware that I-275, the closest North-South freeway, is CLOSED for construction, just east of Novi. They're tearing everything up and redoing the pavement and several bridges. Come in from the north or the west, or take surface streets. Novi Road and Beck Road are the two closest N-S streets that run into Grand River.

You Have Been Warned.

Rick,

275 is actually open north bound, but closed south bound. So, anyone coming from the airport can still take 275 to get there. Haggerty and Beck might be the best choices going back south to M-14, which can then be taken back to I-275 South. Either way, prepare for a little extra time and traffic..

I will say that the traffic was better last year. I think they made a serious effort to get people in and out more quickly. They also opened up some parking in a lot next to Rock's parking. That helped.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't make that clear. MDOT has a site that shows just where what is closed. The thing is, just the Lookie Loos in the northbound will slow things to a crawl, lol

I'm coming in from the west, I-94 to US 23 North (to bypass the closed section of M-14), M-14 to Beck at exit 18, Beck north to Grand River, and there you are. Heh heh, and I'm doing it Thursday morning.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't make that clear. MDOT has a site that shows just where what is closed. The thing is, just the Lookie Loos in the northbound will slow things to a crawl, lol

I'm coming in from the west, I-94 to US 23 North (to bypass the closed section of M-14), M-14 to Beck at exit 18, Beck north to Grand River, and there you are. Heh heh, and I'm doing it Thursday morning.

Yeah,

You will miss a ton of it. Beck will probably be horrible though. Still likely you're best option. Two lanes were closed tonight on 94 East tonight though, but they were east of 23. :censored: My God, traffic in Ann Arbor is awful.

Off to Motor City this morning.

Don't forget to drag your unwanted funnybooks along, Steve and I will be happy to make a not-quite-insulting offer for them, lol

I had an enjoyable friday. First big con I've attended. Came 90 minutes before it opened and was not even in the first 100 people to get in. Stayed for about 6 hours which was enough to go up and down every aisle.

Wide variety in dealer types were apparrent; there's the ones who want to move as many books as they can with undervalued prices, the guys where every book is a high end quality book that is marked up 20-30% over market value, then the little guys who are doing it more for fun and are probably not going to break even on table costs. I found maybe 2 or 3 dealers I would go back for next year. Not sure that is worth the $25 admission next time though.

Most of the time I felt over-loaded with information to process and was forgetting a lot of what I was actually looking for. I had to narrow down my search to just daredevil, deadpool, doctor strange, and x-men just to keep my mind organized. Well enjoyed trip though, it was an experience.

I got in there about an hour after they opened today but I was in a rush before work. Barely had time to get a book signed and sent some stuff to CGC. The turnout was wonderful, atmosphere was great, and saw a few gorgeous timelys that stood out but no time to really shop. The only thing disappointing is I didn't get to stick around.

Friday was fun. Alan davis won't sign miracleman published by eclipse, but aside from that and my phone dieing, was very enjoyable.

Harley Yee had some al feldstein signed mads for $5 to $10. Hot modern books priced very reasonably and I found three copies of new gods #7. Woo woo $$$

Friday was fun. Alan davis won't sign miracleman published by eclipse, but aside from that and my phone dieing, was very enjoyable.

Harley Yee had some al feldstein signed mads for $5 to $10. Hot modern books priced very reasonably and I found three copies of new gods #7. Woo woo $$$

And you can't forget the guy that had two long boxes of Larry's store variants at $2 a piece. Picked up 24 copies of the curse #1 variant.

Insanity

I just parked and I'm already not happy.

Hopefully, when I get up to the facility, it will be better.

Was it? hm

It wasn't bad once I got inside. I'm not happy about waiting an hour to get in two hours after the show opened, even though I prepaid for tickets.

I wasn't anticipating spending a bunch (closing on a house), so I only had a little more than my expected purchases, but I came across something I liked, and needed an ATM, and the two at the convention center weren't working, so I had to walk down to the hotel.

I don't know if I'd go on a Saturday. I was struggling to navigate certain areas.

Lots of wasted time trying to get to things, you know? I like to be efficient, and I struggle with that. I did get to meet with several of the artists I wanted to meet, got Alan Davis to sign the Mighty World of Marvel book I got from the UK for my brother, got to see some boardies' booths.

I wish I could have stayed a bit longer, but I just didn't have it in me to fight the masses today. Some days are just like that.

Sounds like some people got some nice deals, though!

Sounds like it was a good buying Con but anyone have a sellers report? Just curious if its worth the time and effort.

It was worth my while

Had a great time at the Motor City Comicon. Found a couple of very high grade Canadian Whites and some cool esoteric comics (thumbs u

Great buying show.

IMG_3446_zpsmizt0cfu.jpg

IMG_3447_zps6pc8b3ap.jpg

Where's the thread in CG? I used to go this show 20 years ago prior to my move to Alberta...