• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Image scraps retailer variant program

12 posts in this topic

While I know this is a bummer for some, I cannot help but think if all the publishers followed this would be healthy for the industry. It seems like the new issue market right now is overly dependent on variants. Nobody talks about the actual comics anymore, just which variant is fetching the most money. Very unhealthy!

And we saw the launch of a new company in March whose sole purpose is to sell comic variants! That is a good indication things have gone too far.

All IMHO of course.

While I know this is a bummer for some, I cannot help but think if all the publishers followed this would be healthy for the industry. It seems like the new issue market right now is overly dependent on variants. Nobody talks about the actual comics anymore, just which variant is fetching the most money. Very unhealthy!

And we saw the launch of a new company in March whose sole purpose is to sell comic variants! That is a good indication things have gone too far.

All IMHO of course.

:golfclap:

Remember, Image takes something like $6500 from every book it produces and the rest of the money from sales is split between the creators of the book.

So this decision won't hurt Image's bottom line but it will effect money generated by creators and long term will probably bring great original content away from publishers like Image.

Remember, Image takes something like $6500 from every book it produces and the rest of the money from sales is split between the creators of the book.

So this decision won't hurt Image's bottom line but it will effect money generated by creators and long term will probably bring great original content away from publishers like Image.

I would support it more if the secondary market had to pay royalties to the creators.

The issue isn't the Variants themselves, it is the secondary bubble market.

Honestly, I would welcome a solution that drives more of that revenue back to the creators instead of in an out of comic flipper's hands.

Nobody talks about the actual comics anymore, just which variant is fetching the most money. Very unhealthy!

That's here on this forum.

There are many shops in America where variants make up an extremely small portion of their business. Very small.

Like 2% small.

I would support it more if the secondary market had to pay royalties to the creators.

Honestly, I would welcome a solution that drives more of that revenue back to the creators instead of in an out of comic flipper's hands.

Image doesn't provide art for free. They have in the past, but usually you have to pay.

Books a Million for example, had to pay Cameron Stewart $850 for the Kaptara Cover art, which is all digital.

if we look at Jim Zub for example, do you think sales of Wayward allow the book to continue being produced? Or is it the general chunk of cash he received after doing 10 variant covers for issue #1, that funded the run? - I never see that book sell so I don't think sales of issues are whats funding it being on-going.

In my shop, Image books have succeeded without the help of any variants whatsoever.

Image doesn't provide art for free. They have in the past, but usually you have to pay.

Books a Million for example, had to pay Cameron Stewart $850 for the Kaptara Cover art, which is all digital.

if we look at Jim Zub for example, do you think sales of Wayward allow the book to continue being produced? Or is it the general chunk of cash he received after doing 10 variant covers for issue #1, that funded the run? - I never see that book sell so I don't think sales of issues are whats funding it being on-going.

I guess I am more concerned with the secondary market and the impending bubble burst that could dissuade current adopters from being life-long collector's. I like that variants draw interest into the hobby, I don't like seeing kids or young adults invest hundreds (sometimes thousands) into variants thinking they have a 401k alternative.

However, if Chuck is right and variants are a small portion of sales overall, maybe it is a non-issue.

:shrug: