• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning dirt off the back covers

23 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I recently acquired some books that would be very high grades IMHO if they didnt have dirt/ ink scuffs on the back covers.

My questions to you are:

1. would you clean them or leave them as is. ( IE is cleaning considered restoration )

2. If you would clean them, what do you use? I have heard many people talk about wonderbread. well exactly how do I use bread to clean a comic?

Thanks in advance.

Artboy99

I don't like dirty covers, and don't see any point in leaving obvious dirt on a comic when it could be easily and non-invasively wiped off. To some people that counts as resto.

For me, hard core "cleaning" resto involves solvents of some kind, and removes soiling/staining that has penetrated the paper fibers. If it's just surface dirt though, I say clean it.

Next time you order supplies or whatever from this fine site , pick yourself up a cleaning pad.

I don't see any point in leaving obvious dirt on a comic when it could be easily and non-invasively wiped off.

Soft white eraser does a nice job, just be careful and gentle.

Use wonder bread. yay.gif

That takes off the gloss along with the dirt. I'm not really sure what the best way is to remove the dirt but leave the gloss. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I've never used it so confused-smiley-013.gif

I prefer to leave the books the way they are.

I did once, was vacuming for an hour right after mad.gif

I don't see any point in leaving obvious dirt on a comic when it could be easily and non-invasively wiped off.

Soft white eraser does a nice job, just be careful and gentle.

thumbsup2.gif (and can't stress enough the be careful part) but by not rushing and erasing on the white areas, you can achieve nice results. A metal erasing templet comes in handy also.

I've heard of guys trying that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Must you descend this thread into the gutter when it has great potential to be intellectually stimulating? 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.giftongue.gif

Indeed...I must. sumo.gif

Use wonder bread. yay.gif

That takes off the gloss along with the dirt. I'm not really sure what the best way is to remove the dirt but leave the gloss. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I've never used it so confused-smiley-013.gif

I prefer to leave the books the way they are.

I did once, was vacuming for an hour right after mad.gif

Did you roll up a chunk of bread into a tight ball like you're supposed to before you wiped the dirt off, or did you just smear the entire slice across your comic book? 27_laughing.gif

Art gum erasers and white erasers work great. Art gum erasers are the best, IMO. Use a flat ruler to brace the area where you're going to erase, and use VERY light pressure with the eraser. Also, make sure you leave the colored areas alone and only erase from the white areas. Otherwise you'll remove ink. The gloss hasn't been affected on the white parts when I've done it to remove ink transference or mild dirt from back covers.

Did you roll up a chunk of bread into a tight ball like you're supposed to before you wiped the dirt off, or did you just smear the entire slice across your comic book? 27_laughing.gif

I guess I should have asked how it was done before attempting it tonofbricks.gif