• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm 80 years old this month (by cover date)!!!

58 posts in this topic

Beautiful book!! :applause:

Mickey Mouse Magazine was first released as monthly promotional pamphlets - there were 16 pages and they were in digest size (1933-35). The 3rd Mickey Mouse Magazine was a full-size, monthly children’s magazine (1935).

There's also the Mickey Mouse Book published by Bibo and Lang - the first Disney licensed magazine-type publication and it has the story of how Walt Disney met Mickey Mouse and got his name.

It's a beautiful copy, Bill, congratulations! It is also a very interesting issue because of its large size and busy cover art. It intrigues me because about a year later when the Mickey Mouse Weekly started in England, it used the large size and busy covers and continued them for years. The American Mickey Mouse Magazine downsized and shifted to the more focused art starting with the next issue and enjoyed almost five years of success with that format. In my opinion, those covers were some of the most beautiful Disney art ever published. Even downsized, they were larger than comic books and the focus on one or two characters gave them an unmatched size and beauty. In fact, they were very similar to the early sheet music covers which are so attractive.

Thanks Rich. I've had it a little while now, but still take it out often to admire it.

You are right about the artwork on the MM series. Just beautiful stuff. I need about a dozen more issues to complete the set. The quest continues. Lots of competition for them when I am bidding on them. Prices seem to vary widely. I guess some issues are more scarce than others? I finally locked down a V1.8 recently after being pummeled the prior two times a copy came available.

I have four from 1935 and one each from 1933 and 1934, plus the Buster Brown comic. This is the only 1935 copy that is already 80 years old. The rest would come later in the year.

Famous%20Funnies%206_zpsiqkrbwph.jpg