• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm 80 years old this month (by cover date)!!!

58 posts in this topic

I was just looking at this book yesterday and thought, "WOW, it's 80 years old!!!" I doubt this thread will go very far, as not much was out at this time, but let's see!!! Post your May 1935 books here now .... and next month post your June 1935 books & so on ..... paging Jon Berk .....

There can't have been many comics published that month, can there?

I can only think of one other off the top of my head - New Fun #4 is May '35.

I think the oldest comic I own is a New Comics from 1936.

1/36 for me (More Fun #7)... could make an interesting thread, "What is the oldest comic book you own" (excluding Platinum Age books like Obadiah Oldf uck, which is not a comic book).

There can't have been many comics published that month, can there?

I can only think of one other off the top of my head - New Fun #4 is May '35.

I think the oldest comic I own is a New Comics from 1936.

1/36 for me (More Fun #7)... could make an interesting thread, "What is the oldest comic book you own" (excluding Platinum Age books like Obadiah Oldf uck, which is not a comic book).

Yep, the 80 year old club is going to be relatively exclusive through the end of 1935/2015... Famous Funnies and New Fun. Big Book of Fun Comics and New Comics near the end of the year.

It'll open up next year though... plenty of Centaur collectors in these parts. :shy: More Fun, some Dell & related stuff, etc.

here's a list of the first comics published in the old CBM issue 13

Famous Funnies 10 is the 18 comic published, also that month is New Fun comics issue 4 as the 19 comic. Fun to compare your early comics to this list.

155467.jpg.8f2236a2096c490093da5deca2dab048.jpg

2285578621_423dd90fb2_z.jpg

My Popular 1 is #36 from 1936. I had an earlier Famous Funnies but sold it. I have several more from 1936 and 1937. King, Tip Top, Ace and Famous Funnies are all pretty good collector items. You can still find cheap copies with nice paper.

2091862105_0e6432f49e_z.jpg

You gotta wait Bruce, this one will run like the one number per week thread :rulez:

I've got exactly one book on that page, so I won't get to play until the end of 1936. With that said, even around here I doubt that many people have anything of that vintage.

Famous Funnies 10 is the 18 comic published, also that month is New Fun comics issue 4 as the 19 comic. Fun to compare your early comics to this list.

I have always enjoyed the early comics. As this list of the first 100 comics is now over 30 years old, I just wondered if anyone can add books to the list. I would enjoy seeing an updated list if anyone has any changes. Thanks!

OK, since you're going there... I've got an older one. This rat chewed beauty is Famous Funnies #4. From November 1934. (81 years old) I think this is the oldest "comic book" I own. Came out of a barn cheap with a few others. Totally roached but I had to hang on to it because it was from 1934. I also liked the football cover and 4th appearance of Buck Rogers by Calkins in a comic.

comfamousfunnies4_zpstifh59zx.jpg