• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on choice of 'restored' 9.0 or 'unrestored' 7.0 Key

16 posts in this topic

Not too long ago a Golden-Age book was sold on Ebay with a CGC 'Restored Grade' of 9.0 The grade was 'slight restoration '- color touch, small piece added'. As a 9.0 of a 1941 key book it is the highest grade on the Survey. The highest unrestored grade for that particular issue is CGC 7.0 with no CGC qualifying remarks other than page whiteness value. There are no books listed on the survey beween the unrestored 7.0 and the restored 9.0. Keeping in mind this is a book which guides at $1500. in NM, if you were offered the two copies for the same amount of money, which would you choose?

Without a doubt I'd go for the original, untouched copy. There are those on here who say that as time goes by, restored copies will become more accepted and increase in value, but I only see the reverse happening.

Every copy that a "key comic" seller gets ahold of, is one less unrestored issue on the open market. For true rarities, getting a clean comic might become more and more difficult as the undisclosed restoration really heats up.

...definately the unrestored 7.0.................i would never touch a restored book with amateur resto and only a pro one if it could be easily removed........

...in this case, since a piece has been added, if the resto was removed the grade would drop from the (A) 9.0 to below a 7.0...........so the 7.0 unrestored is in fact the highest grade of the two books..............

I'd say the 7.0, but I wouldn't exclude restored books from consideration as a rule, especially Golden Age books. This one has color touch and pieces added, which are pretty radical procedures, even if slight.

However, many purple label books have neither of these and are restored in terms of "Cover reinforced", "Tear Seals", "Centerfold reinforced", "Glue on the spine" etc.,. Personally, I think "restored" books like these, where nothing has been added (except adhesives and/or adhesive paper like Japan Paper) are worth a look if the price is right (and often, it is).

Not all Purple Labels are created equal!!!

Same amount of money...go with the 7.0 no question. I have, however, seriously softened my view on restored books. I don't have all the qualms I used to about buying them that I used to.

I like to have nice copies in my collection restored or not. I have an X-Men 30 9.4 that is restored due to 'slight color touch' and trimming...no regrets! It's a gorgeous copy!

Hmmm, I don't get it. Maybe I am misunderstanding about the grading on restored books. Doesn't CGC look at the book and grade it as if they waved a magic wand and all the restoration disappeared? This would mean that without the restoration the book would have graded 9.0 So WHY would someone even think about attempting to restore it if it was 9.0? Let me know if I am way off base here but it doesn't make sense to me.

Phil

"Hmmm, then that sux. Seems like it should be the other way around."

..that's a nice idea, but in practice it would be imposible for cgc to grade on book on how it would look without the resto, unless it was actually removed............ confused.gif

Minor RESTORATION being noted is another pet peeve of mine. If the comic has major visible restoration, I can understand grading it with the dreaded purple label. But if the comics has restoration that it takes a mechanical means to detect it, like a tiny dot being seen by microscope, then I don't agree with giving it a RESTORED label. (personal note: If I can't see it I don't care.) I've seen too many books with color touch and some get the UNIVERSAL and some get the RESTORED. The restored comics do not sell well. Everyone knows this and many are reluctant to send books in for fear of getting the purple death. CGC should make a decission as to what really needs to be noted as far as restoration.

Interesting story: Someone sold a 1.0 Detective Comics #33 Universal grade for $3000. Another person sold a RESTORED 9.0(?) Detective Comics #33 and got less. Collectors are not comfortable with RESTORED graded comics. So I don't see things changing as far as buying habits of RESTORED books. The only way I see this changing is if minor restoration was given the blue label and major restoration was always given the purple label.

As far as myself buying a RESTORED purple labeled book, I would not. I'd take a lesser grade anyday.

>>It's actually the opposite and CGC grades a Restored Comic in the state that it appears, with restoration. <<

CGC uses the accepted "Apparant" appelation to the grade and depends on the brief description of the restoration to fill in the blanks. This is ALMOST right. No restorer worth their salt would restore a book without full disclosure as to what was done. Most have a standard form where the work done is described (not necessarily the processes used but the extent of the work itself). CGC should have more detailled descriptions. If they can see how much inpainting was done, then they should say how much was done. If there is a spine tear seal, they should say the length. Etc.

If they really can see all the restoration they should also be able to determine the grade BEFORE restoration and sue a dual grading system. Something like 4.0/8.0 where the first number is the condition before restoration and the second number is after restoration.

I also feel they should, if possible state who did the restoration.