• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

I dunno, maybe I get crucified for this, but I see that more as a racial stereotype than as pure racism. I think of racism as hating/judging someone just based on their skin color. Here, the black people on the cover are definitely drawn in a way that evokes a racial/tribal stereotype, but is it racist? Does it evoke hate or bigotry? It certainly doesn't foster understanding, but for all we know the white guy had it coming. I think its more of a slapstick type attempt at comedy with the people and animals of Africa being the danger element chasing after the poor white sap. Not much different than a slapstick cover with another danger element such as a gator biting a guy's leg or something. To me it looks more racist in today's context than it was necessarily trying to be. Ignorant, maybe, racist no? confused-smiley-013.gif

Another example might be shock suspenstories 6. Is that a racist cover? I don't think so. It renders racist people but I think it shows the KKK as the antagonists, and therefore is anything but racist confused-smiley-013.gif

Not the best of the Arrow covers, but it is by Carl Burgos and this is a very HTF issue:

100_0973.jpg

STEVE Make mine Larson

I like the incongruous nature of the tag line "fun for the entire family", when balanced against the cover images showing a masked man knocking the *spoon* out of a pistol packing baddy, whilst a woman is being molested in the background.

Nothing says "family fun and entertainment" like that!!

I dunno, maybe I get crucified for this, but I see that more as a racial stereotype than as pure racism. I think of racism as hating/judging someone just based on their skin color. Here, the black people on the cover are definitely drawn in a way that evokes a racial/tribal stereotype, but is it racist? Does it evoke hate or bigotry? It certainly doesn't foster understanding, but for all we know the white guy had it coming. I think its more of a slapstick type attempt at comedy with the people and animals of Africa being the danger element chasing after the poor white sap. Not much different than a slapstick cover with another danger element such as a gator biting a guy's leg or something. To me it looks more racist in today's context than it was necessarily trying to be. Ignorant, maybe, racist no? confused-smiley-013.gif

Another example might be shock suspenstories 6. Is that a racist cover? I don't think so. It renders racist people but I think it shows the KKK as the antagonists, and therefore is anything but racist confused-smiley-013.gif

Very well thought out points. I don't think its a very flatering potrayal of the guy being chased either (just an observation).

Did anyone see the Amazing man books listed on Pedigree? Some nice low grade copies include a Larson for issue #6.

Where are these A-MAN books listed? Inquiring minds want to know.

Click the new arrivals link tag at the top left:

Link

Some of these Amazing Mystery Books are cheap I might pick one up.

Did anyone see the Amazing man books listed on Pedigree? Some nice low grade copies include a Larson for issue #6.

Oh man, if I didn't already have the Church copy I'd be ALL OVER that Larson A-Man 6.

Don't tell RyanH, but THE classic Eye Sees cover (Keen Detective Funnies # 20) has already been sold - and it's the Larson copy.

HEY! WHATTA LOOKING AT ME FOR!?!

STEVE (making mine Larson)

Oh man, if I didn't already have the Church copy I'd be ALL OVER that Larson A-Man 6.

STEVE (making mine Larson)

Only 5 in the census with one at 0.5, 1.8 and 3.5. Very tempting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif What is the Gerber rating on these because didn't Esquire just post a "WTB Gerber 8 and Up" thread?