• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for posting Steve. I'd like your opinion as to which of the Arrow covers you think are rarest. I've seen fewer of 40 & 41 than any of the others, but other collectors I've spoken to seem to favor 42. In my personal experience (10 years or so), I'd say in order of increasing rarity they go: 35 (I've seen a lot of these), then a group in the middle with 3.7, 3.10, & 4.1, then 42 & 39 being a little tougher, then 40 & 41 by far the toughest.

It's really hard to get a good assessment though, given their rarity and small sample size (there will be times when 3 of a given issue are available, then none again for 7 years). Your thoughts?

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for posting Steve. I'd like your opinion as to which of the Arrow covers you think are rarest. I've seen fewer of 40 & 41 than any of the others, but other collectors I've spoken to seem to favor 42. In my personal experience (10 years or so), I'd say in order of increasing rarity they go: 35 (I've seen a lot of these), then a group in the middle with 3.7, 3.10, & 4.1, then 42 & 39 being a little tougher, then 40 & 41 by far the toughest.

It's really hard to get a good assessment though, given their rarity and small sample size (there will be times when 3 of a given issue are available, then none again for 7 years). Your thoughts?

FWIW (and I'm not Steve, so obviously take it with a grain of salt), #40 is my pick for the toughest of that group. I've got a copy of #42, I passed on a #41 once because of price, but I've never seen a #40 for sale anywhere.

Dan, I think you're pretty close to the mark. After 25 years with Centaurs, the following represents my personal subjective opinion only:

The Funny Pages 39-42 are all rare. If I had to separate the group, I'd say the 40 is the toughest to find (very rare).

The Funny Pages 36-38 are all scarce. I'd say the 36 is the most difficult to locate in the group.

The Funny Pages 35 is uncommon - I have seen handful of them over time (I don't own one, but would like to).

The Funny Pages 3/10 and 4/1 are both very scarce. It may be surprising that I think the 3/10 is more of a toughie than the 4/1.

The Funny Pages 3/9 (not an Arrow cover) is uncommon - I have seen a handful of these over the years.

The Funny Pages 3/7 is scarce (I don't own a copy, but would like to).

No matter how we slice it, they are great books.

STEVE Got Larson?

Hi Steve,

Just got through going over your FOX books on the FOX thread, and then I hit this... you have some incredible books. I have a weak spot for Centaur's, and these rare books of yours are really amazing. Would love to see any AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES you have lying around...

893applaud-thumb.gif

Ryan

Hello, I rarely post but lurk a lot around here. What a great thread this is. Here's a Centaur I'ld like to share. Published in 1941. I believe Centaur went belly up after Man of War #2 was published. Let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks!!

headbang.gif

1409341-ManofWar1.jpg

1409341-ManofWar1.jpg.055bb8aba5e37c8767d85fcd5bc2b9cb.jpg

Edited by drbenway25

these are some obsure Centaurs that i had listed, per a request in the Gerber thread...jon 1409293-littlegiant1.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Any other Little Giant books you have scans of? I really like the Movie Funnies, but I haven't seen any from the other titles.

Dan, I think you're pretty close to the mark. After 25 years with Centaurs, the following represents my personal subjective opinion only:

The Funny Pages 39-42 are all rare. If I had to separate the group, I'd say the 40 is the toughest to find (very rare).

The Funny Pages 36-38 are all scarce. I'd say the 36 is the most difficult to locate in the group.

The Funny Pages 35 is uncommon - I have seen handful of them over time (I don't own one, but would like to).

The Funny Pages 3/10 and 4/1 are both very scarce. It may be surprising that I think the 3/10 is more of a toughie than the 4/1.

The Funny Pages 3/9 (not an Arrow cover) is uncommon - I have seen a handful of these over the years.

The Funny Pages 3/7 is scarce (I don't own a copy, but would like to).

No matter how we slice it, they are great books.

STEVE Got Larson?

Thanks for sharing Steve. I tend to agree that the 4.1 probably got a "rare" designation that's relatively unwarranted (at least compared to its surrounding issues).

Just for funsies, here's my run - pirated photo from the "group shot" thread.

1285400-IMG_0129.JPG

Hi Steve,

Just got through going over your FOX books on the FOX thread, and then I hit this... you have some incredible books. I have a weak spot for Centaur's, and these rare books of yours are really amazing. Would love to see any AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES you have lying around...

893applaud-thumb.gif

Ryan

Ask and ye shall receive (I feel like a beaming daddy showing off pictures of his kids - I hope that everyone is enjoying them).

(Note: the skewing is me and the camera, the books are square).

Here's a book close to your heart, Ryan:

100_0847.jpg

And a pretty nice Larson:

100_0848.jpg

STEVE Got Larson? (why yes, we do)

That 2/5 is from the estate of artist Claire Moe ("Circus and Sue" in this title). I picked up a handful of books circa 1983.

Going to watch the second half of the USC - Arizona, so this will be it for today (enjoy).

Church...

100_0849.jpg

Not a pedigree per se, but very close to Church in quality and appeal (I used to own the Church copy at one time):

100_0851.jpg

STEVE Got Larson?

My lord, those are nice books. And rare, too! I didn't realize that I should be insanely jealous of someone else besides Jon Berk.

Har! (good one, Win). Make no mistake, JB is Big Daddy and I am Diaper Boy.

STEVE Got Larson?

Edited by sacentaur

BTW, I do like that Man of War 2...the goofyness of the cover is kind of appealing.

I can't resist, so one more Centaur for a late night snack - this is another tough book.

100_0891.jpg

STEVE Got Larson? (not here, but we are in New Hampshire territory - slight resto, but bone white interiors)