• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Congrats!! Ryan!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif Both books look great. I have a AMan # 9 also but mine has tape on the spine "Phooey" but complete though . Definately a hard book to find in any grade as Centaurman pointed out.Your Funny Pages looks great; spine roll or not , like you said , it presents real nice. headbang.gif

My Wife "Santa " just bought me 2 Amazing Mystery Funnies for Christmas , can't post them untill then ... She says I have to wait till Christmas to get them smile.gif. It will be worth the wait. cloud9.gif What a great Wife, She understands my Passion for Comics . 24 years of Marriage & I'm Blessed.

Punny now I know why I like you so much, what a lucky guy. hail.gif Can you tell us which issues? 893applaud-thumb.gif

Vol. 2 # 9 & Vol. 2 # 10 great covers & great art by Paul Gustavson, Tarpe Mills, etc. Gotta love those Centaurs , Pre- Timelys. & Scarce to boot!!!

If those were the copies on Pedigree I think your wife hit the BIN button minutes before I was going to. tonofbricks.gif Well at least they have a good home. thumbsup2.gif

Congrats!! Ryan!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif Both books look great. I have a AMan # 9 also but mine has tape on the spine "Phooey" but complete though . Definately a hard book to find in any grade as Centaurman pointed out.Your Funny Pages looks great; spine roll or not , like you said , it presents real nice. headbang.gif

My Wife "Santa " just bought me 2 Amazing Mystery Funnies for Christmas , can't post them untill then ... She says I have to wait till Christmas to get them smile.gif. It will be worth the wait. cloud9.gif What a great Wife, She understands my Passion for Comics . 24 years of Marriage & I'm Blessed.

My #7 has a taped spine as well (on the inside)... maybe Centaur's were prone to cover splits? Like CentaurMan said, the #5 is usually in rough shape, or restored. The copy I secured is the former, but it still has pretty nice eye appeal (from what I can see from the scans). Maybe kids who bought AMAN really "loved" these books!! But I'm just happy to have decent readable copies.

What an amazing Santa, PH!!! How does Santa know where to find these rare books??? 27_laughing.gif

Maybe I should write Santa a letter... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

I think #9 is tougher than #5. The problem with #5 is it's usually in terrible condition, or else restored.

Which is why I don't own an A-Man 5, though I'd be willing to accept a slight-to-mod resto copy if the pages are naturally nice.

STEVE

...maybe Centaur's were prone to cover splits?

No more so than any other company (at least that is my experience).

STEVE

Then you haven't seen my Centaurs!! 27_laughing.gif

I have to say whoever fixed those with the tape on the inside spine at least did nice job, so they are still enjoyable and solid.

....and yes it is quite restored, but 'beggars can't be choosey"....

oh and a bit of an oddity....the first super hero to debut in his own comicbook

1519093-aman5.jpg

That is one cool book Jon. But oddly when I think of you and your collection, the word "beggar" somehow doesn't leap to mind..

poke2.gifwink.gif

1519093-aman5.jpg

Very nice, Jon!

The logo looks to be by Everett but not the main image. Curious.

1519093-aman5.jpg

hello all....

lovely, quite lovely....I don't own a single centaur, but maybe these times are a changing...

rick

Hello,

I'm new on this thread and I want to introduce myself.

First, I want to apologize about my english level. I'm french and english is a non native language for me. So excuse me by advance about mystake.

I read all the thread and I'm very happy about it. I think I'm one of the few french collector knowing much about Centaur (I made extensive research on the web).

I send this post because as a Centaur addict I think you could be interested to know that some Centaur story was published in France.

It was Amazing Man, Fantom of the Fair, The Eye & The Clock.

If you let me know how it is possible to attach some pictures I could send on the thread some.

PS : By the way, as I knew that you are also a Fox addict The Blue Beetle Comic Stip was also published in France (just take a look on the picture here : Early Jack Kirby (on Pimpf)

Edited by jmf

Hello,

I'm new on this thread and I want to introduce myself.

First, I want to apologize about my english level. I'm french and english is a non native language for me. So excuse me by advance about mystake.

I read all the thread and I'm very happy about it. I think I'm one of the few french collector knowing much about Centaur (I made extensive research on the web).

I send this post because as a Centaur addict I think you could be interested to know that some Centaur story was published in France.

It was Amazing Man, Fantom of the Fair, The Eye & The Clock.

If you let me know how it is possible to attach some pictures I could send on the thread some.

PS : By the way, as I knew that you are also a Fox addict The Blue Beetle Comic Stip was also published in France (just take a look on the picture here : Early Jack Kirby (on Pimpf)

Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

How to attach pictures

Welcome to the board, jmf.

What years were those Centaur stories published in France?

STEVE

Between 1940 and 1946. I know that it is strange regarding the fact that Centaur ceases his activities of comics publishers in 1942.

I think some materials was sold to a comic strip agency for the sales abroad.

I think the first apparition of a Centaur Line Character was in "L'aventureux" n° 6 February 11th 1940 and it is Masked Marvel

I post some scan of my collection because he appear in the "cover" (in fact L'aventureux was a newspaper for young reader and there are no "cover" but a firts page).

It was join after by Fantom of the Fair

Laventureuxn8de1940.jpg

LAventureuxn9.jpg

Laventureuxn11de1940.jpg

LAventureuxn12.jpg

Laventureuxn15de1940.jpg

Just after March 24th 1940 Amazing Man appear in Hurrah ! n° 251. But, he never appear in cover.

Edited by jmf

All the french newspaper for young reader had been interrupt in 1940 due to the Nazi invasion of France.

Part of France was still "free" and some publishers moved from Paris to Lyon or Nice.

The publishing of Characters Centaur Line continu but with gap or lack.

After the war, due to the shortage of paper publishers move from a newspaper for young reader format (where the story was published to a "be continued" method) to a complete story small magazine.

Some are republishing of all story published in newspaper for young reader and other seems "new" one.

A small collection of leaflet (8 pages) called "Collection Le Fantôme" published many super-heros story including Centaur Story in 1946.

I post only Cover relating to Centaur Characters (but in fact some other issues published Centaur Story but with cover of Fox or DC characters confused.gif

Latragdieducirque.jpg

Laviateursolitaire.jpg

Lefantmelexposition.jpg

Lefaucon.jpg

Lemasquerouge.jpg

Lemystredelakermesse.jpg

Lhommeprodige.jpg

Loeilvengeur.jpg

Masquenoir.jpg

Oralavilledore.jpg

As you can see, some are reprint of existing Centaur cover (the firts). Some are new one (Le Fantôme à l'exposition) by french artists and some are refurbishing of existing one from Centaur or others american publishers (the last is an update of Adventures Comics # 39).

Edited by jmf