• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To resubmit or not to resubmit, that is the question

35 posts in this topic

Going by the graders notes, I'd crack, press, and re-sub. Hard to see the front wear, but it doesn't look severe enough to keep it from a 9.6 if those other bends were addressed. Let us know how it goes!

Just checking but if he was to crack and resub, wouldn't this then get a GLOD since those signatures would then be unverified? The only way to keep the Yellow Label would be to submit it in the case, but then they would likely just grade it a 9.2 again.

According to the CGC rules someone could still send this to CCS or Joey for pressing and still retain the yellow SS label.

To clarify, you would have to leave the comic in the yellow label slab when submitting it for pressing.

When I said "crack, press, and re-sub" I didn't mean to crack it out on your own.

The presser would crack and press and the book would retain it's yellow label.

To clarify, you would have to leave the comic in the yellow label slab when submitting it for pressing.

When I said "crack, press, and re-sub" I didn't mean to crack it out on your own.

I'm not sure if this is exactly true. In this day and age when everyone is a presser I would think you would have to submit, in the slab, to CCS only. Otherwise, what's the point ? If you are correct, the whole premise of Signature Service being witnessed by a CGC employee or representative is moot.

I'm not sure if this is exactly true. In this day and age when everyone is a presser I would think you would have to submit, in the slab, to CCS only. Otherwise, what's the point ? If you are correct, the whole premise of Signature Service being witnessed by a CGC employee or representative is moot.

Bob, CCS and Joe can do it. I don't know about anyone else.

There can't be that big of a reason to get it pressed and then graded yet again.. put it in your box and move on .....

Sure there is.

It's called the registry.

Unless he uses a different name, his books are not in the Registry.

I'm not saying he would, just that he could.

My books are in the registry, and I use a different name. ;)

Bob, CCS and Joe can do it. I don't know about anyone else.

There is....another....

(No, it ain't me. Yet.)

Wasn't there a thread a while back where someone cracked opened a slab with a Sig and it got a Yellow label because a CGC employee vouched for the submitter. He posted the Yellow slab on the Boards, thanking the CGC employee and the Boards got out the pitchforks. So much so that Paul Litch responded that it was a misunderstanding and they were recalling the book.

Just recently Paul Litch made this statement.....

The CGC Signature Series is the leading & most trusted authentication service in the hobby for a reason. With our program you can be 100% sure the signature is authentic. We are proud of what we built, as are many of the people on this board & in this hobby that have contributed to it's growth, integrity, acceptance and market strength. If we didn't see it get signed, it doesn't get the prestigious CGC Signature Series label. Everything else is just a COA to us.

here's another quote from Paul.....

Effective January 1, 2010, signings must be witnessed by CGC employees to qualify for the CGC Signature Series labels. Since inception of its innovative witnessed signature authentication program, CGC has allowed deputized witnesses to observe signings on its behalf. Now, signatures can no longer be witnessed by non-employee authorized witnesses to qualify for this designation. Witnesses must be either full or part-time employees of CGC.

With all of the above in mind, why are pressers allowed to vouch for the signature ? Puzzling to me.

Wasn't there a thread a while back where someone cracked opened a slab with a Sig and it got a Yellow label because a CGC employee vouched for the submitter. He posted the Yellow slab on the Boards, thanking the CGC employee and the Boards got out the pitchforks. So much so that Paul Litch responded that it was a misunderstanding and they were recalling the book.

The CGC Signature Series is the leading & most trusted authentication service in the hobby for a reason. With our program you can be 100% sure the signature is authentic. We are proud of what we built, as are many of the people on this board & in this hobby that have contributed to it's growth, integrity, acceptance and market strength. If we didn't see it get signed, it doesn't get the prestigious CGC Signature Series label. Everything else is just a COA to us.

Effective January 1, 2010, signings must be witnessed by CGC employees to qualify for the CGC Signature Series labels. Since inception of its innovative witnessed signature authentication program, CGC has allowed deputized witnesses to observe signings on its behalf. Now, signatures can no longer be witnessed by non-employee authorized witnesses to qualify for this designation. Witnesses must be either full or part-time employees of CGC.

With all of the above in mind, why are pressers allowed to vouch for the signature ? Puzzling to me.

Are you thinking of the Hulk #1 CGC SS resub?

The pressers are vouching that the book was cracked from a yellow label, are they not?

The pressers are vouching that the book was cracked from a yellow label, are they not?

Indeed, nothing different than a facilitator cracking a yellow label to add another signature. That keeps the chain of the yellow label intact.

In the case of the Hulk #1 above, the owner of the book had cracked the book out by himself. Then he sent the raw signed book to a presser to have it regraded, and the presser vouched for the book despite not having cracked it themselves. CGC put it back in a yellow label, and the owner trumpeted his "success" on the boards, unleashing the pitchforks. I was a pitchfork wielder myself.

Indeed, nothing different than a facilitator cracking a yellow label to add another signature. That keeps the chain of the yellow label intact.

But the if the pressers are non CGC employees, that is counter to Paul's comments that the program is completely 100% inhouse. If CGC does not accept the word of the artist or signer himself does it make sense to take it from a presser ?

Correct me if I am wrong but upon obtaining the original signature you can submit the book for both a pressing and grade. To submit the book after the fact for a press is hindsight so these situations should be minimal. If the presser is an outside party you are subjecting the book to more handling and risk. Additionally, is the presser allowed to perform resto removal as long as he vouches for the signature ? Does the presser have an assistant. IMO, this all gets too messy. It's not a matter of questioning the integrity of the presser, it's just a matter of keeping the process clean and simple. If you claim the system is 100% inhouse, it should be.

But the if the pressers are non CGC employees, that is counter to Paul's comments that the program is completely 100% inhouse. If CGC does not accept the word of the artist or signer himself does it make sense to take it from a presser ?

Correct me if I am wrong but upon obtaining the original signature you can submit the book for both a pressing and grade. To submit the book after the fact for a press is hindsight so these situations should be minimal. If the presser is an outside party you are subjecting the book to more handling and risk. Additionally, is the presser allowed to perform resto removal as long as he vouches for the signature ? Does the presser have an assistant. IMO, this all gets too messy. It's not a matter of questioning the integrity of the presser, it's just a matter of keeping the process clean and simple. If you claim the system is 100% inhouse, it should be.

CGC isn't simply accepting the "word of the presser", Bob - the pressing company has signed various legal docs with CGC which allows the SS chain to stay intact while they're working on a book. It's no different than a CAW who's contracted by CGC as a witness for a particular show.

CGC isn't simply accepting the "word of the presser", Bob - the pressing company has signed various legal docs with CGC which allows the SS chain to stay intact while they're working on a book. It's no different than a CAW who's contracted by CGC as a witness for a particular show.

That's good to know that there is a legal contract involved. Before this thread I didn't realize that this was possible. I couldn't find anything about this on the CGC site or in the FAQ thread. Are they allowed to work on the book for anything more than a press, specifically resto removal ?