• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JONNY QUEST directed Robert Rodriguez

21 posts in this topic

Robert Rodriguez Set To Direct JONNY QUEST For Warner Bros.

Robert Rodriguez may be best known for his violent action/crime flicks like Sin City and Desperado, but he's also directed some successful children's adventure movies such as Spy Kids and Sharkboy and Lavagirl, making him a good fit for Warner Bros.' live-action adaptation of '60s Hanna-Barbera animated series, Jonny Quest. According to THR, he'll direct and co-write with Terry Rossio (The Lone Ranger, Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

The show focused on the globe-trotting adventures of young Jonny Quest and his father. They were accompanied by Jonny's dog Bandit, a Kolkatan orphan named Hadji, and government agent/bodyguard Race Bannon. It originally ran for only one season, but has since spawned '90s cartoon revivals and comic books.

robert_rodriguez_jonny_quest_split.jpg

I was thinking about his movies today. I really think they have lost their edge over the years and now look somewhat lazy (too much greenscreen trickery and stunt casting). Other than Predators (which wasn't too groundbreaking), I haven't cared for his productions in a long while. My 2c

Jonny Quest begs to be done in 100% CG or stop motion. Right in there with the Lego movies, Minions and the like. An all ages monster hit. :wishluck:

Still love that stop-motion production. Talk about a fan of the show.

:applause:

Robert Rodriguez Talks 'Jonny Quest' Film

So how is the -script coming along? Rodriguez says:

"Really good! I love Jonny Quest. The originals are so cool. They were really ahead of their time. I grew up with them because they used to play in syndication, and my kids still love them. They’re action-packed. That was an action cartoon. They had to cancel it after the first season because they couldn’t keep up with it. The amount of drawings was like four times the amount of drawings. It was an adventure. Before Indiana Jones, it was anIndiana Jones/James Bond action-adventure strip with a kid in it. It just happened to have a kid. It wasn’t a kid’s story. It was an action-adventure story that had a kid in it. So, that’s what it’s going to be with the movie. I made Spy Kids movies, but those are more kids being spies and their family. This is more of a legitimate action-adventure film that has a kid in it."

Rodriguez also mentioned the tone of the film and what it will be.

"It will be PG or PG-13. It depends. Sometimes with the action, even if it’s not bloody, it depends on how the ratings’ board feels. I tried to make Spy Kids G-rated. They made it PG, just ‘cause there’s action. It depends on how far you push that."

:whee:

I also should point out that there is a Jonny Quest documentary on youtube if you are a big fan of Jonny Quest:

Ron Vail produced this documentary and they talk about it's creation and inception. It's broken into three separate 50 minute parts. And I LOVE the detail that they go into.

Specifically for the music, Ron mentions that Hoyt Curtin (composer) retaliated to ribbing from the horn musicians that his music was too simple. And wrote the frantic ba-ba-ba-ba-ba of the theme which caused the trombone players to do full slides back and forth at an impossible pace. And Hoyt would sit in he control booth laughing hysterically as the horns cursed and fumbled the score.

-Terry

Jonny Quest begs to be done in 100% CG or stop motion. Right in there with the Lego movies, Minions and the like. An all ages monster hit. :wishluck:

Still love that stop-motion production. Talk about a fan of the show.

:applause:

The guys in the flying garbage cans were the jazz.

:banana:

I also should point out that there is a Jonny Quest documentary on youtube if you are a big fan of Jonny Quest:

Ron Vail produced this documentary and they talk about it's creation and inception. It's broken into three separate 50 minute parts. And I LOVE the detail that they go into.

Specifically for the music, Ron mentions that Hoyt Curtin (composer) retaliated to ribbing from the horn musicians that his music was too simple. And wrote the frantic ba-ba-ba-ba-ba of the theme which caused the trombone players to do full slides back and forth at an impossible pace. And Hoyt would sit in he control booth laughing hysterically as the horns cursed and fumbled the score.

-Terry

Thanks a bunch for that link Firespitter. (thumbs u I'll be Roku-ing all 3 parts over the weekend. Always in for an interesting indepth documentary. :cloud9:

Producer talks characters & rating for Robert Rodriguez's Jonny Quest

Rodriguez is co-writing the -script with PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN scribe Terry Rossio, working from a previous draft by Dan Mazeau (WRATH OF THE TITANS), and Askarieh says they want to present it to the studio sometime after Labor Day.

"So Dan and I are now working with Robert Rodriguez, who’s directing and co-writing with Terry Rossio, and they’ve turned in a draft which is phenomenal. We’re doing a little more work on it; we hope to turn it in after Labor Day to the studio. And I really feel the timing might finally be upon us that we’re going to make the Jonny Quest movie. It really is an extraordinary -script. A lot of the credit actually goes to Dan Mazeau because we’re re-writing his original draft, but Terry and Robert have brought a zing to it. I think Robert is going to really, really hit it out of the ballpark. He’s very passionate about it."

Askarieh goes on to say the film will be based on the 1964–1965 animated series.

"We’re working based on the original 1960s Jonny Quest prime time animated show. That is our source of, not only inspiration, but the pool that we’re culling our inspirations from. I know a lot of people like The New Adventures of Jonny Quest, and that’s fine, but we are now focusing on the original 60s animated show. Robert, Dan Lin, Terry Rossio, myself, big fans, and look, there’s nothing wrong with it, so if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. That thing is a work of genius. We’re lucky to have it to reference."

I declare the Jonny Quest tv theme... The Greatest TV Theme Music In The History Of All TV Theme Music Ever.

SO SAY WE ALL. :sumo:

It's WAY up there. I prefer Cowboy Bebop.

As long as they have the giant Spider-Eyeball and the Sumo dude walking the Komodos on a leash :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u