• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is this seller? - Alleged High Grade AF#15s on E-bay

8 posts in this topic

I quickly scanned the threads and did not see any reference to this topic, so forgive me if I simply missed the discussion.

There are two auctions ending soon on e-bay regarding AF #15

eBay item 6510331225 (Ends Feb-13-05 09:45:06 PST) - AMAZING FANTASY 15 NM+ 9.6 GORGEOUS

eBay item 6510335073 (Ends Feb-13-05 09:57:42 PST) - AMAZING FANTASY 15 NM- 9.2 BEAUTIFUL

The seller is "gio72", whose e-mail address is apparently eclipse1078@yahoo.com.

Obviously any reasonable person interested in comics (is that possible?!) would be interested in these books. However, there is no way I would spend such a significant amount of money on a raw book without personally inspecting it (unless I knew the seller of course). I wrote the seller and asked:

"Are the two AF #15s available to inspect prior to the auction ending? If they meet my satisfaction and I end up bidding, I can pay immediate cash. Please let me know. Send me your contact information so we can coordinate. Thanks! Mark S. Zaid, Esq."

The response was:

"hello sorry they are not,also there is only 20 hrs left.also i don't take only paypal.my feedback is over 140 and all positive,ive been a user for years now,i offer refunds and any picture you want.bid with no worrys."

Now, whenever I see errors of grammar and sentence structure (or responses that don't particularly make sense), an unwillingness to allow inspection of the item, an attempt to persuade a buyer to rely on prior feedback as if that should control without question, and an apparent disdain for cash, my eyebrows go up. I've dealt with e-bay frauds before and there are patterns that one can discern.

Some people have told me they suspect this seller is another infamous individual whose name has been discussed elsewhere on these boards. I wrote the seller back questioning them. They responded denying any impropriety. I remain suspicious, but it could be misplaced.

I should also note that the other auctions for which this person sold were primarily for small budget items (sometimes a dollar or two) such as single baseball cards or computer printer cartridges. Right now they have four of the top SA comic books on e-bay.

Anyone know who this person is?

I am cross-posting this thread in several areas on the boards to maximum response.

I am cross-posting this thread in several areas on the boards to maximum response.

Instead of cross-posting, just put it in Comics General next time. Pretty much everyone reads that forum anyway, so you'll get the same effect. thumbsup2.gif

Mark,

Only a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person or a personn who just woke up from a 6 year coma or a fraud/scammer would take a book that looks that nice and sell it raw.

I will bet my entire collection that the book is a restored/formerly graded/trimmed/married, etc., etc copy that would be in a purple label if sent (back?) to CGC.

It's probably a reknown scammer using a different email address/ebay name.

Stay away from unslabbed books that you know would command 10x the unslabbed amount, my friend,

Best,

Doug

Mark, just curious but do you own a copy already? Its an obvious scam. We are talking about $200,000 worth of books. You think the seller would negotiate a flat listing fee on one of the big dealers sites where they could get proper exposure. A 9.6 would have no problem selling.

No, I've never had the pleasure. I am under no illusion that this is in all likelihood a scam, though one has to be obviously careful as a matter of law to simply outright call someone a fraud without anything more than suspicion.

I'm tired of the frauds on e-bay, particularly on books I would like to own. If I can help put them out of business, I try my best.