• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cable the man out of time! (Appreciation thread)

44 posts in this topic

They aren't exactly rising either though, unfortunately, or they were and they might be slowing. The average 90 day price for a 9.2 from February to May was $325.23 and the same grade from March to June was down at $319.17. A 9.0 was going for $298.52 from February to May and $299.04 from March to June. Although the average for a 9.0 from May 2014 to May 2015 was $257.61. So yeah it is up around $40. Can it go up more before the movie, or is it tapering off with too many "hot books on the rise?"

I agree it's definitely up over the last year, but you think it's hit the peak?

why do you think any given comic these days hits its peak? Especially in the case of 1st app of characters, I would say the ultimate peak in general will not have occurred until sometime after a major movie or tv announcement has been made.

As for any dealer, if they want to sell it, there's still room to grow. If they want to buy it, it has probably hit its peak already. Not that everyone's out to make a buck, but just as we consider your motivations for asking that type of question, so should you consider the motivations of those providing answers.

Man, that NM pic certainly brings back some memories and I really stockpiled some stuff during the early days of eBay - I remember buying a monstrous box of Keown and McFarlane Hulks from some guy in Canada - must have been 5-10 of all the issues, and I was a big fan of those books so I was quite happy to get them.

And around 1999-2002 or so, I was really surprised at how incredibly depressed the New Mutants Cable run was, and I just bought and bought and bought them, knowing they couldn't go any lower. Lots of sellers had them too, as they were valuable books back in the day.

New Mutants 87 was the grail of my childhood.

I mowed lawns for a summer to afford a copy that I gleefully paid $40 for.

In the decades since I bought 11 more copies -- all for no more than $9 per, and all to honor my inner 14-year old.

Love that book.

Cable needs to get more love for sure, and I am glad to have one Minty 9.6 looking copy found in old back stock, which just found it's way home to my personal collection. 2 were located, the sticker was at $80 last week when I bought it, the other VF/NM copy was at $75.00.

Now that 98 is falling, I think it is time to have one return to my collection as well.

I Vote for "Cable and Deadpool" movie after an X-Force movie.

With over 1000 less 9.8's on the census than NM 98, it's primed to explode with even the hint of an official announcement of a movie or whatever. :ohnoez:

-J.

I started loading up last summer/fall thinking the same thing.

At one point, Cable was the #2 mutant character (behind Wolverine). He was way more popular back in the day than Deadpool was. I don't expect 87 to go past 98 anymore, but it's definitely a good candidate for a movie boom.

Was just listening to Rob on the Inkstuds podcast (...On The Road Part 12) and Rob talks a bit about the history of Cable.

For a small period of time Rob was set to take over Alpha Flight, instead of New Mutants, and Cable was to be a part of Omega Flight.

Then, when he settles in at NM, the editor and writer didn't like the name Cable and wanted Commander X or Quinn instead.

I feel like I need to add a few higher grade copies of this to my collection. The one I picked up in a big NM lot a while back (including a 98) only graded out at 8.5, (though I still feel that it looks a lot nicer than that) and really want a 9.6 or higher in my collection to go along with the rest of my high-grade NM keys.

I disagree, if/when Cable gets announced 201 wi gain value again. MGN 4 and New Mutants 1 will still be worth more than they were two years ago as well. Buckle in for the ride.

As it is now, I just don't think the market at large will be that interested in the "first appearance" of a character as a baby.

I mean look at how it treats Web of Spider-Man 18. My 2 cents.

-J.

I have found both of these for around $3 and they can bring $20 in high grade. It's not first appearance prices, but they should not command that type of money.

It was selling around $350 just last month. I keep telling myself to nab (another) one before the price gets out of my range...that was at the $200 price point :insane:

Side note...

I know lots of people hate Rob Liefeld but I just can't. It was his work on New Mutants that got me interested in the series and NM87 was one of the issues I had to have. Great book. Great new character. Iconic cover.