• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Hulk 181 cover recreation by Trimpe

7 posts in this topic

There is an inked recreation up at the comic link auction.

Dude had it on ebay for 10k prior..

I think if I recall someone wrote an article particularly about the piece up for auction.

Apparently, it sold on eBay for 600-1000 bucks and then resold to the current owner for 3K+...And he was trying to turn it around and sell for 10. I guess it didn't pan out.

I assume that's why its a reserve auction.

Hope this helps!

Ricky

Many years ago, I commissioned Herb Trimpe to do a Hulk #181 cover recreation and he charged $1,500 for that as a commission where it's a full 11" x 17" inked and the only thing that was a paste-up was the logos to make it look like a cover. I think he told me at the time if I wanted it all hand drawn it would have been slightly more.

I know he's done quite a few of the recreations over the years, and some in pencil on small paper, and others of varied effort/quality. So, I think there's a lot of those floating around in collectors collections.

I also had him draw me the last panel from Hulk #180, the actual 1st appearance of Wolverine as a full 11" x 17" pin-up splash page with dialogue as well. I think that's unique and one of a kind, or at least at the time of the rendering he said it was the 1st time he's been asked to do that.

I was going to follow up with a request at this year's Big Wow Comic Fest for recreations from Hulk #182 and the title splash page of Hulk #181, but unfortunately he passed away the week before the show.

There is an inked recreation up at the comic link auction.

Dude had it on ebay for 10k prior..

I think if I recall someone wrote an article particularly about the piece up for auction.

Apparently, it sold on eBay for 600-1000 bucks and then resold to the current owner for 3K+...And he was trying to turn it around and sell for 10. I guess it didn't pan out.

I assume that's why its a reserve auction.

Hope this helps!

Ricky

Yeah, thanks for the heads up, reserve auction...

Many years ago, I commissioned Herb Trimpe to do a Hulk #181 cover recreation and he charged $1,500 for that as a commission where it's a full 11" x 17" inked and the only thing that was a paste-up was the logos to make it look like a cover. I think he told me at the time if I wanted it all hand drawn it would have been slightly more.

I know he's done quite a few of the recreations over the years, and some in pencil on small paper, and others of varied effort/quality. So, I think there's a lot of those floating around in collectors collections.

I also had him draw me the last panel from Hulk #180, the actual 1st appearance of Wolverine as a full 11" x 17" pin-up splash page with dialogue as well. I think that's unique and one of a kind, or at least at the time of the rendering he said it was the 1st time he's been asked to do that.

I was going to follow up with a request at this year's Big Wow Comic Fest for recreations from Hulk #182 and the title splash page of Hulk #181, but unfortunately he passed away the week before the show.

Very useful info. Thanks