• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if? Complete Collection of DC or Marvel

54 posts in this topic

While there are runs and partial runs from both companies I wouldn't mind having - I have no interest in owning anything remotely resembling complete collections of either company's output.

What a good job I don't feel the same way.

While there are runs and partial runs from both companies I wouldn't mind having - I have no interest in owning anything remotely resembling complete collections of either company's output.

Same here.

If I had to choose, it'd be Marvel. I just prefer Timelys, Atlas and Silver / Bronze Age Marvels.

Sorry greggy. tongue.gif

Should I care? Less competition! 893applaud-thumb.gif

If I had to choose, it'd be Marvel. I just prefer Timelys, Atlas and Silver / Bronze Age Marvels.

Sorry greggy. tongue.gif

...Thank God!!!,...the ramifications of the increased competition in the DC Romance market would be insurmountable if there ever existed two people out there buying that crape ,....I shudder to even think about it..... blush.gif

Sorry greggy. tongue.gif

...Thank God!!!,...the ramifications of the increased competition in the DC Romance market would be insurmountable if there ever existed two people out there buying that crape ,....I shudder to even think about it..... blush.gif

Best not to. Now that greggy has thrown down the gauntlet, I won't rest until every HG DC Bronze Age book (especially the Romance crape) is wrested from his sweaty little paws. I'll outbid him at every turn. You'll see. sumo.gif

...Thank God!!!,...the ramifications of the increased competition in the DC Romance market would be insurmountable if there ever existed two people out there buying that crape ,....I shudder to even think about it.....

Well it might be crape as you call it, but it's very very rare crape.

...Thank God!!!,...the ramifications of the increased competition in the DC Romance market would be insurmountable if there ever existed two people out there buying that crape ,....I shudder to even think about it.....

Well it might be crape as you call it, but it's very very rare crape.

So you're saying that it IS crape? tongue.gif

So you're saying that it IS crape?

Oh go back and read it again, Andy.

He was SPECIFICALLY talking about the romance titles. Most of the early ones are ridiculously rare, and never show up. There are a couple of Girls Love that I badly need to upgrade, and they have never once showed up either on e-Bay or on anyone's website. It's a miracle I've even got poor copies of them. The fact that I have full runs of every DC romance comic is a staggering achievement. It doesn't mean I like them however - they hardly excite me like having every Detective Comics does. But still, having the COMPLETED rare runs, even of a title that I'm not crazy about, excites me because of their amazing scarcity.

So you're saying that it IS crape?

Oh go back and read it again, Andy.

He was SPECIFICALLY talking about the romance titles. Most of the early ones are ridiculously rare, and never show up.

I know, I know, I understood all that. They do have kitsch value, and some are unintentionally funny, but to be fair it shows the breadth of your effort that you've managed to chase every single one without the requisite enthusiasm for the genre.

DC by a landslide.

The depth and breadth of their output is just staggering. Every genre is represented and you're looking at 50+ year runs of some titles!

The 3 runs I would most want to have from either company are all DCs: Action, Adventure and Detective. Then comes Marvel Mystery, but then back to DC for More Fun.

Obviously, Marvel is way ahead in SA titles, but there's a lot of good stuff on the DC side, too.

I think the answer to Ian's rhetorical question as to which company's output he'd rather have is obvious. It's gotta be Marvel. I mean, who would want two complete sets of DC? 27_laughing.gif

Money issues aside, I'd rather have the marvel set. Better reading. But if I had to choose betweent the two I'd take the DCs as they are more valuable. But I wouldn't want to own either set either. The early stuff would be great, but there are so many titles in the last 30 years that are both crappy and common... yeesh.. I wouldn't even want to store those.

Make mine Marvel, hands down. With all the silly DC covers/characters over the years I think I'd probably bury half the collection in storage and never look at it twice.

Gotta agree...really lame stories and characters abound in DC's. Marvel hands down. Kudos to DC for Supes and Bats, but it ends there...

Make mine Marvel, hands down. With all the silly DC covers/characters over the years I think I'd probably bury half the collection in storage and never look at it twice.

Gotta agree...really lame stories and characters abound in DC's. Marvel hands down. Kudos to DC for Supes and Bats, but it ends there...

And Marvel hasn't produced a lame story in 40+ years? West Coast Avengers anyone? Dazzler? Contest of Champions? SECRET WARS II??!!!! I think you Marvel zombies are sweeping way too much under the rug.

And Marvel hasn't produced a lame story in 40+ years? West Coast Avengers anyone? Dazzler? Contest of Champions? SECRET WARS II??!!!! I think you Marvel zombies are sweeping way too much under the rug.

No one said that but in comparison they are not even close and even hardcore DC fans will agree. There are enough gay Batman and Robin covers alone to cover all of Marvel's blunders.

No one said that but in comparison they are not even close and even hardcore DC fans will agree. There are enough gay Batman and Robin covers alone to cover all of Marvel's blunders.

...Yeah,...thank God Marvel doesn't have any of those..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

buc.JPG

I would take DC. Then sell New Adventure 26 to IAN for guide and throw in all the DC Giveaways for free - especially the Rain-Blow and Super Gear. I would offer the Pre-Green Lantern All-Americans to CentaurMan below guide (as I believe they are overpriced), I would donate a huge portion of the comics, hand stacks of them out for holloween, etc... As for the Action #1 I would have to turn down the $1,000,000 offer.