• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if? Complete Collection of DC or Marvel

54 posts in this topic

And Marvel hasn't produced a lame story in 40+ years? West Coast Avengers anyone? Dazzler? Contest of Champions? SECRET WARS II??!!!! I think you Marvel zombies are sweeping way too much under the rug.

But at least Marville kicked some major [#@$%!!!] ...eh ?

Make mine Marvel, hands down. With all the silly DC covers/characters over the years I think I'd probably bury half the collection in storage and never look at it twice.

Gotta agree...really lame stories and characters abound in DC's. Marvel hands down. Kudos to DC for Supes and Bats, but it ends there...

And Marvel hasn't produced a lame story in 40+ years? West Coast Avengers anyone? Dazzler? Contest of Champions? SECRET WARS II??!!!! I think you Marvel zombies are sweeping way too much under the rug.

No one said that but in comparison they are not even close and even hardcore DC fans will agree. There are enough gay Batman and Robin covers alone to cover all of Marvel's blunders.

...Yeah,...thank God Marvel doesn't have any of those..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

buc.JPG

A good example but Marvel was smart enough to kill off Bucky in the GA era. At least he wasn't called the "boy wonder". stooges.gif

Make mine Marvel, hands down. With all the silly DC covers/characters over the years I think I'd probably bury half the collection in storage and never look at it twice.

Gotta agree...really lame stories and characters abound in DC's. Marvel hands down. Kudos to DC for Supes and Bats, but it ends there...

Yeah, god knows DC hasn't done anything beyond Superman and Batman. yeahok.gif

Yeah, god knows DC hasn't done anything beyond Superman and Batman.

Yeah, you're right: all the Neal Adams silver and bronze covers, Bernie Wrightson horror stuff, Alan Moore Swamp Things, GL/GA 76-89, Watchmen, the Alex Ross books. It all sucks. And the worst thing they ever did was to preserve the superhero genre through the 1950s when everyone else had given up. If only Wertham had managed to kill that stupid stuff off earlier then we wouldn't have had to deal with all this superhero junk now. Jeez!

makepoint.gif

sorry.gif

Yeah, you're right: all the Neal Adams silver and bronze covers, Bernie Wrightson horror stuff, Alan Moore Swamp Things, GL/GA 76-89, Watchmen, the Alex Ross books. It all sucks. And the worst thing they ever did was to preserve the superhero genre through the 1950s when everyone else had given up. If only Wertham had managed to kill that stupid stuff off earlier then we wouldn't have had to deal with all this superhero junk now. Jeez!

makepoint.gif

sorry.gif

I was joking, so I'm probably the last guy to aim that history lesson at. Of course, you don't know me or my reading/ collecting habits, so the fact that it was a joke might have flown by you without sticking to anything.

Although the Spider Jerusalem image in my avatar might have provided at least a small clue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Or of course you might be joking in response to my joke and I might be the one missing the point right now. If that's the case...

frustrated.gif

I would take DC. Then sell New Adventure 26 to IAN for guide and throw in all the DC Giveaways for free - especially the Rain-Blo and Super Gear.

Ohhhhhhhhhh (sad sigh).

Batman/Rain-Blo, and Supergear.

Don't forget the Aquateers Meet The Super Friends, The Flash TV Brochure, the Scooby Doo Werewolf mini-comic, the Warlord mini-comic, How You Can Defend Your Home, and the 1949 Worlds Finest Giveaway.

Ever elusive and impossible giveaways.

Ohhhhhhhhhh - wishful thinking.

I think the answer to Ian's rhetorical question as to which company's output he'd rather have is obvious. It's gotta be Marvel. I mean, who would want two complete sets of DC? 27_laughing.gif

Ian's second DC set is probably way better than most peoples first set.

Just to chime back in on this whole discussion, DC and Marvel both ROCK! I collect both, but I would give DC the slight edge based on its longer history, the fact the Superman and Batman are my two favorite heroes, and there's just so much comic history to read - more than half a century. I will never be able to say a bad word about silver and bronze Marvel.

Joe

makepoint.gif

sorry.gif

Is this where they coined the phrase "trouble in doggy land"?

Just for those still on the fence. Here are a few 10 cent books to ponder.

722031-Batman92.jpg

Super key? Ah yes keep the tradition alive, maybe DC should have given up as well. Gives a whole new meaning to reading next to a warm fire place. Sorry I couldn't resist. 27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

722029-Action241.jpg

Hmm lets see if money were not object, then worth of the collections wouldn't matter because, well money is no .......

So throwing off the cost shackles, lets see. I don't collect GA, again if money were no object maybe I would, then again I like the Beyonder's answer to that 27_laughing.gif So the length the DC's cover is not an issue. Even though I have been constantly unimpressed with Marvel over the Past 10 - 15 years, I will say that Period from '60 - '90 is the key factor and there Marvel wins hands down.

Throw the Complete EC's to supplant the Golden Age of either company and You have a deal thumbsup2.gif

Even though the DCs would be more expansive to behold, and more reflective of the entire history of comics, I'd take the Marvels, especially if you're throwing in the Timelys!! Then I'd sell them all for 3x guide and squander the money building a retail comic book empire...muhahahahahah