• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you rather own?

5 posts in this topic

If the money was the same, would you rather own a nice copy of the very best character's first appearance? Or would you rather own the single highest graded copy (with no chance of another popping-up) of a good-but-not-as-good character's first appearance?

General question. Don't take these examples literally, as they are not equal in price. Think of it in general terms please. But I will list a few examples just for a basic guide.

Of course the Golden Age example would be a 7.0 or so Action 1 or Tech 27 vs. the Mile High copy of AA 16, Flash 1, Cap 1, or any character you like. Assuming a single highest graded exists; no ties.

The Silver Age example would be a high-grade Spider-Man or very-high-grade Iron Man or a few others....vs. the best copy of someone like Ant-Man or Doctor Strange or something. A big assumption would be that a Silver Age comic would have a copy that is clearly the single highest graded.

Just a general question. Which would you prefer?? -thanks -always been curious about this.

For Golden Age - I'd want the sole highest graded of the second tier character (AA16, Flash 1 etc.) because of the rarity of it. I'd have the best copy out there and would be in the discussion any time someone talked about the character (as was stated in the other thread). In this instance: rarity > best character

For Silver Age - I'd want the nicely graded but not best AF15 or TOS39 because there really isn't the same air of rarity with those books as the Golden Age so I'd take the better character.

Above 9.4 does nothing for me. The flaws are already so minimal and insignificant that my appreciation of the book isn't going to be increased. Especially with older books it's going to be more about freshness, richness of color, page quality, that sort of thing, than if there is a 1/4" crease on the back cover or some non color breaking ticks at the spine. Of course with GA, the highest graded copy may fall well short of 9.4. Using the Church copies as examples is an good choice, as I'd rather have a Church that only makes it to 8.0 for a minor flaw or two, but still retains the legendary qualities of the pedigree, than a 9.0 that seems a little dull in comparison.

But when it comes to whether I'd have the nicest copy of a key I care less about than a decent copy of one I do, I'll go with the book I'd want more regardless, and it's more about characters I like than who is considered more important.

Money aside, I'd rather own a 7.0 More Fun #52 than a 9.0 Action #1. I appreciate the awesomeness of a high grade copy of the king of keys, but I'm just not that big a Superman fan. The Spectre on the other hand, is a character I always thought was very cool.

But when it comes to whether I'd have the nicest copy of a key I care less about than a decent copy of one I do, I'll go with the book I'd want more regardless

This.

I've always dreamed of owning a Tec 27. I have never coveted MF 73, or AAC 16, etc. So...I'd rather have the best copy I can afford of my single favorite comic book of all time, than to dump that money into the highest-graded copy of a book that means nothing to me personally. In the case of the latter, that would strictly be an investment. With the former, it's both personal grail and investment, so it ticks both boxes.

Of course, if your favorite character is Aquaman, and you can afford the highest-graded copy of his first appearance, then that's great. Depending on character preferences, etc, some "personal grails" are much more affordable (relatively speaking) than others.