• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any rules while buying at Cons? Is it ok to create a bidding war?

127 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if there are any unwritten rules when it comes to buying at a Con. For example - I walked up to a booth today and a guy beside me is looking over a MP 1 and the book was sweet. I obviously did not have it in hand but from looking over his shoulder it looked 9.0 or possible 9.2! The dealer put the book back in the bag for the guy and told me his books were 25% off the marked price and pointed to the MP 1 and said this one would be $75 rather then $100. I couldn't believe the guy was still thinking about buying it at that price and I was considering offering the guy $125 for it but I thought it broke some rule.

I checked out the dealers other books but kept an eye on the MP 1 which the potential buyer kept in his hands while he looked at other books. I ended up getting impatient and told the dealer that I'd like to put the MP 1 on hold if the other guy declined on the book. The buyer kind of gave me a stop stepping on my toes look. Did I break a unwritten code by asking to hold the book if he said no since the dealer now knew he had a sale at full price? I always see deals going down that if love to offer a higher price but never do. What's your thoughts on the matter?

This is THUNDERCON!

Two men enter, one book leave! :sumo:

:grin:

Golden rule: Do unto others and you would have them do unto you. How would you react if someone started out-bidding you for a book you're holding in your hand and contemplating buying?

Maybe to the other guy, you'd appear like a shill-bidder surreptitiously working for the dealer.

You didn't break any rule but you would have been better served not to say anything and simply watched the guy holding the book while he looked at other books.

If that potential buyer heard your comment it may have tipped him off that the book was a great deal.

Oddly enough, people want things more when they know other people want it too, it's a strange flaw people have.

Also lets not forget your social akwardness. Next time stop drooling with your tongue out and just wait him out. :D

I would have flipped through everything else at the dealers table while they were waiting and eying the situation. If the book is that important to you then you can wait it out while the guy tosses and turns.

1 - If the guy buys the book then even if you spoke up you weren't getting it.

2 - If you speak up, as was mentioned, it might spark the guy into buying the book.

3 - The minute the guy says, "I'll come back, I need to think about it." or something that is not a definite purchase short of a, "Please put this on hold so I can go to the ATM", you hold up your :takeit: sign.

I would have flipped through everything else at the dealers table while they were waiting and eying the situation. If the book is that important to you then you can wait it out while the guy tosses and turns.

1 - If the guy buys the book then even if you spoke up you weren't getting it.

2 - If you speak up, as was mentioned, it might spark the guy into buying the book.

3 - The minute the guy says, "I'll come back, I need to think about it." or something that is not a definite purchase short of a, "Please put this on hold so I can go to the ATM", you hold up your :takeit: sign.

Which is exactly what the guy did. I came back to claim the book and the first guy had placed it on hold while he ran to the bank to get cash. Oh well - guess I should have stood there and waited but I got impatient.

I have been in that situation at Wondercon. I just waited for the potential buyer to give the book back to the dealer. I looked it over real quick,and bought it. I think it would be rude to bother someone who is a potential buyer,surely I wouldn't want someone doing that to me.

I'm wondering if there are any unwritten rules when it comes to buying at a Con.

There are no written rules. Consequently, buying comics at a show is a matter of common sense, courtesy, and respect for the seller and others at the booths.

Someone's looking through a box you want to look through? Wait your turn.

Someone's examining a book you want to examine? Wait your turn.

Someone's considering whether to buy a comic they've pulled and looked over that interests you as well? Wait your turn.

Someone's put a comic on hold? It's no longer available for others to consider buying.

There's millions of comic books out there to collect. There's certainly no need to be disrespectful to other collectors or sellers when collecting your tiny share of them.

Going over the top is in poor form. If I'm negotiating/trying to buy (and at cons this takes time as the dealer is multi tasking and often other books are worked into one deal.) I don't care for outside interference. The end results are going to be yes or no. There is enough pressure and to have someone spouting off interests on books I'm working a deal on sucks. I usually(as it's happened to me) just say " here, take it buy it" and I walk off.

I don't do cons anymore, but the thing that bugged me back in the day were box hogs, the guys ( and it was always guys) who body blocked or put their backpack on top of the next box or two they wanted to go through. Sorry, just because you got to the table before me, doesn't mean you get to look at every book in boxes before me.

I once had a guy tell me he was going to look at "that box next" when I started checking out the one to his right. My response was along the lines of "'Sure, when I'm done." I got a grumpy frown, but that was it.

I remember before guardians of the galaxy came out i sold a gotg #1(2008) to a comic dealer at a con for credit and he immediately put it on the rack for $100, well this guy came up and he was debating on buying it so i told the guy, its a hot book and that the movie is coming out really soon and its only going to heat up and after about 5 minutes of me telling this kid this stuff he bought it. After the kid paid and he walked away the owner of the stand said do you want a job. i just laughed. I did buy a vf nm #98 he knocked off 20 on the price for me. It was a cool experience. but do what ever makes you happy 1cool. And don't sweat the small stuff.

but do what ever makes you happy 1cool. And don't sweat the small stuff.

No. Others have put it more eloquently than I can, but doing what makes you happy may offend whoever's personal space you're infringing upon, and end up escalating quickly. Get there first, and there's no dilemma.

I'm wondering if there are any unwritten rules when it comes to buying at a Con.

There are no written rules. Consequently, buying comics at a show is a matter of common sense, courtesy, and respect for the seller and others at the booths.

Someone's considering whether to buy a comic they've pulled and looked over that interests you as well? Wait your turn.

Someone's put a comic on hold? It's no longer available for others to consider buying.

There's millions of comic books out there to collect. There's certainly no need to be disrespectful to other collectors or sellers when collecting your tiny share of them.

:golfclap:

:golfclap:

With the exception of when someone is on their phone while standing in front of the comic bins and when you ask them if you can get by they raise a finger at you to hush because after all, they are on their phone.

Offering a dealer more than his asking price while another person is thinking about it is horrible form.

How would you respond if someone did it to you?

If someone came over the top and offered more for a book I'm looking at I'd be so pissed and that's why I don't do it even in the case where I really wish I could. I wouldn't be mad at someone trying to get next in line if I declined on it but I guess others would see it as poor taste. As usual most of my questions are in the interest of sparking a discussion about the issue.

What you can do is look at the book and start holding back snickers like you know something about its falling value he doesn't-no one wants to be the fool and that will assure he puts it back down-quick.

My take is, why ruin someone else's experience by getting in the middle of their business? At the very least by indicating your interest you're impacting greatly their ability to negotiate a price.

It's a Con...there are several other copies of that same book out there. Go find yours. If you missed out on that one you'll find another. It can't be important enough to act rudely. Plus, if you're a believer in karma... That kinda stuff will come back to get you, most certainly.

And you know what? If it's one of those "great deals" you can't believe you missed and the guy is hemming and hawing? Again, go with karma. WHISPER to him "hey buddy, that book is a great deal you should definitely grab it."

It'll be your good deed for the day and you get a story to tell.