• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking in wall display stands for selling comics

16 posts in this topic

My friend and I are going to book a table for a small local comic con next month. I am thinking of finding a cheap way to display some of our comics on wall (behind us by table). We are only doing one show ... we don't know if we'll do another show again but is on our minds. My friend has some books (long boxes) he wants to sell away, and mine are some few keys and SA/BA/CA books.

Anyone have ideas what I should do - build a simple stand with materials from Home Depot or Rona? Rent or borrow one from a local seller who don't go to a show? Or buy a used one somewhere? I'm not gonna spent hundreds creating a wall stand for one-time show. If I was selling often in many shows ... yeah, I can see myself do that. ;)

Thanks for any advice (thumbs u

greg,

Recommend you go to Wal-Mart or Costco to buy a $20-24 6 foot tall plastic urethane build it yourself portable shelf unit. About 36 inches wide and 18 inches deep (not the 24 inch deep shelf). You may be able to find a 12 inch deep urethane shelf at Wal-Mart that may work with this design also. Comes in black or white/cream color.

Then go to Rona or Home Depot to buy 5 standard 6' or 8' wide (depends on what may be on sale) closet wire racking that is about 12(?) inches tall with an L-shaped bottom lip to support your comics.

Lean the wire racking about 45 to 60 degree angle inside the upright struts of the shelf. Put together in about 5 minutes.

:blush: Collapsible to fit into a hatchback or mini-van along with your long boxes and hand cart. Keep in mind you have a limited amount of floor space immediately behind your 8' x 3' table if you are selling at the Vancouver Comic Show June 7/15 Sunday else 6' x 2.5' table at Heritage Hall.

Regarding Mike's excellent PVC tubing design, you need some power tool skills to build it. Also raw cost of PVC tubing and corner fittings in Canada is 8 times higher than in USA due to price gouging. Then add your friend's labor in cutting and machining the ends.

Sorry, I don't have a pic of the simple wall rack design, as I built my own overly heavy comic wall rack with a thinner 2 inch side profile. It fits in a mini-van.

Basically, the Home Depot/Lowe's closet wire rack top leans at an angle against the back struts of the shelving unit. The front bottom of the wire rack is buttressed against the front struts of the shelving. Not ideal for slabbed comics depending on the overall design but good for mylared comics, and quick to set up. Good if you don't have a mini-van. Does not even need zap-straps unless you think your vendor neighbors will keep on bumping into your portable comic wall rack.

For the very top flat shelf, you can display action figures, toys, portfolios, prints, original comic art or your signage.

After the con, re-use the Wal-Mart or Costco shelf to hold your comics or potted plants. (thumbs u

Sorry, I don't have a pic of the simple wall rack design, as I built my own overly heavy comic wall rack with a thinner 2 inch side profile. It fits in a mini-van.

Basically, the Home Depot/Lowe's closet wire rack top leans at an angle against the back struts of the shelving unit. The front bottom of the wire rack is buttressed against the front struts of the shelving. Not ideal for slabbed comics depending on the overall design but good for mylared comics, and quick to set up. Good if you don't have a mini-van. Does not even need zap-straps unless you think your vendor neighbors will keep on bumping into your portable comic wall rack.

For the very top flat shelf, you can display action figures, toys, portfolios, prints, original comic art or your signage.

After the con, re-use the Wal-Mart or Costco shelf to hold your comics or potted plants. (thumbs u

Thanks for the details, Allan. I should take a look in your shelf rack on June 7th at the show (if you are going?). And thanks for the link to Mike's stand how-to stuff. I think I might had a :idea: in the design. It does present an interesting challenge ... if I can work out all bugs out. Then stamp my copyright on it. I love doing these projects.

Anyone else have a wall stand of a different design?

gregory,

My buddy Rob set up at Vancouver Comic Show and Heritage Hall with the basic Wal-Mart shelf and closet wire racks laid at an angle horizontally across, thus you would have seen this portable comic rack design.

Yes, I will be at my normal wall table booth next to the front door for next Van Comic Show. :hi:

I set up at small shows and use one of these:

Small Display

You can find them for just under $50 bucks, holds 24 fully faced comic books.

714qH3kfzLL._SL1000_.jpg

Most importantly, is Captive Women 4 better than the original Captive Women?

BTW, that PVC built rack is pretty awesome.

Small Display

714qH3kfzLL._SL1000_.jpg

I like these but I'm a little concerned about the rack toppling over if someone bumps hard into the table. Did you use anything other then weight to keep it in place?

Small Display

714qH3kfzLL._SL1000_.jpg

I like these but I'm a little concerned about the rack toppling over if someone bumps hard into the table. Did you use anything other then weight to keep it in place?

Ditto with same concern... I presume you put some weight to hold down the rod behind rack? Like a bag of ball bearings or beans? I like the idea of a rack on counter table, that would increase the number of books on table and greater notice by buyers passing along.

Anyone else have a wall stand of a different design?

I have built two so far. The first one used the closet shelving and PVC piping that was very poorly designed shell. The second one was very similar to Mike's as I used his instructions but modified as I went through.

My next one which I will be doing in the very near future will be back to the wire racking & PVC. I will build two end caps out of PVC and glue them together in small sections (that way it can be disassembled and fit into a vehicle easier. The middle section will be the wire racking, I prefer this to the PVC tubing for holding of books.

Found a pic of the simple Wal-Mart polyurethane 6' tall shelf with basic closet wire racking (from Lowe's or Home Depot) leaned in horizontally then slanted so that one can lay mylared comics against it. Takes about 5 minutes to put together and ideal for those that have no mini-van and no power tool skills. Sorry for the huge pic:

30.jpg