• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Romance Collectors Thread
10 10

549 posts in this topic

There were a lot of high-grade Silver/Bronze romance books in the Sunday Heritage auctions recently. Anyone know where they came from?

I only snagged a few. Really love this cover!

lf_zps9ankljna.jpg

Label says Giordano, but that's got to be Neal Adams

There were a lot of high-grade Silver/Bronze romance books in the Sunday Heritage auctions recently. Anyone know where they came from?

lf_zps9ankljna.jpg

You could be right, although GCD also says Giordano. hm

lf_zps9ankljna.jpg

Of course it's Adams

These books were (I assume) on the stands in the heart of my comic buying mania as a kid, yet I honestly don't recall having ever seen them. Maybe they were kept with the teen mags? hm

Or maybe they were there with the other comics but I didn't pay any attention to them.

I'm pretty sure romance comics were invisible if you were a 12 year old boy. In my own memory I recall going from reading nothing but Harvey until I was nine, to never seeing them again.

That's probably it. I can remember going carefully through the racks looking for oddball titles -- like the erratically issued Gold Key M.A.R.S. Patrol -- but I just don't remember seeing romance books. But I probably looked past them like they weren't there. :D

I had a sister, no longer with us, who had a small stack of well read romance comics. They now reside with me.

lf_zps9ankljna.jpg

Of course it's Adams

The girl looks a little like Adams, but that's it. The guy looks nothing like Adams. This was from when Giordano was first inking Adams, so possibly the influence was already showing.

lf_zps9ankljna.jpg

Of course it's Adams

The girl looks a little like Adams, but that's it. The guy looks nothing like Adams. This was from when Giordano was first inking Adams, so possibly the influence was already showing.

agree with RJ

I had a sister, no longer with us, who had a small stack of well read romance comics. They now reside with me.

what titles did she like, Ron?

She liked the DC's. Heart Throbs, Young Love, Girls Love, Secret Hearts, Young Romance (that Giordano/Adams cover I have, when I saw it as a kid I thought: Adams), Girls Romance, Falling in Love, I knew them all and READ them all. I used them to help draw girls. All the books you guys are looking at through slabs, I've known for decades.

Back in the eighties, I had a girlfriend who had no special interest in comics, herself, but since she was dating a comic book nut, she went to shows with me and started collecting inexpensive romance comics. At this point in my life, I was busy filling in my SA superhero runs and EC's, and I hadn't yet developed my own interest in romance comics.

When she left, she left her comics behind. Just a few dozen books, mostly lower grade SA DC titles (which I still have to this day). It wasn't until 2002 and my discovery of eBay that I really started collecting romance, and that's mainly because I finally started seeing some of those legendary Baker covers that I'd only seen pictured in Overstreet, up to that time.

lf_zps9ankljna.jpg

Of course it's Adams

looks more like Sparling. Even Giordanos early Adams inks (and this is 1968) didn't obscure this much of Adams pencils if Adams had penciled it. The only Adams I can see is the girls face and the man's pants folds.