• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Startling 49

8 posts in this topic

I'm sure most of you experts have an opinion on this book.

I'm being offered a Startling 49 CGC 5.0 OWWP (the Robot cover). I have not been buying GA long enough to know the difficult books, but every time I've seen this book up for auction (which is not often) it does pretty well, regardless of grade. Does 49 typically go for over guide in graded condition (I should be able to get it under graded guide)? Is it abundant in low grade but tough in high grade? Gerber lumped it in with the surrounding issues and gave it a 5, but of course Overstreet has it as the second most expensive Startling. Seems like almost all of the GGA Startlings get plenty of action (and a good price) when listed.

While I'm at it, I'd appreciate any advice re: what's a reasonable % of guide for mid-grade CGC Schomburg/Frazetta Excitings and Thrillings (issues in the #60's). Like these books and will own them all one day but can be patient for a decent price.

Whomerjay,

I picked up a CGC 4.5 for a few dollars under guide last year, although it had some foxing along the bottom of the cover. As for graded copies: the CGC census lists 26 universal label copies. 13 are in 6.0 or lower while 13 are 6.5 or higher with 2 9.4's, split pretty even as to low versus high in the graded market. Metropolis Comics has a couple of copies ungraded (what they are calling 5.0 for $1100 and 9.0 for $4600). Comiclink has one of the 9.4 CGC copies for $20000!!!!!! saw it in person at Comic-con last year. This book has one of my favorite covers. As for supply, Gerber is probably accurate (from what I have seen) but the book is very popular making it much more valuable than the other Startlings with the exception of #10 and therefore a bit harder to find (again from what I've seen). Hope I was able to tell you something you didn't already know.

I'm sure most of you experts have an opinion on this book.

I'm being offered a Startling 49 CGC 5.0 OWWP (the Robot cover). I have not been buying GA long enough to know the difficult books, but every time I've seen this book up for auction (which is not often) it does pretty well, regardless of grade. Does 49 typically go for over guide in graded condition (I should be able to get it under graded guide)? Is it abundant in low grade but tough in high grade? Gerber lumped it in with the surrounding issues and gave it a 5, but of course Overstreet has it as the second most expensive Startling. Seems like almost all of the GGA Startlings get plenty of action (and a good price) when listed.

While I'm at it, I'd appreciate any advice re: what's a reasonable % of guide for mid-grade CGC Schomburg/Frazetta Excitings and Thrillings (issues in the #60's). Like these books and will own them all one day but can be patient for a decent price.

I have been collecting a lot of GA good girl art issues these days (over 100). I was able to purchase most of the Thrilling and Exciting Comics jungle issues for around 95% guide in 6.5 to 7.5 range (that includes the $25 grading fee). I wouldn't pay anything higher for these books. I would say that most of the good girl art issues in mid grade can be purchased for or slightly below guide. The exceptions are some Junior Comics, Blue Beetle #54, Phantom Lady's and a few others. Jungle and Jumbo comics can usually be purchased for below guide most of the time. However, if you're looking at 8.0 and above books, then you'll typically have to pay a little extra (1.25 to 1.5 X guide).

This is a book that used to go for multiples of guide - but Overstreet has caught up with it's actual value based on what I've seen it sell for on ebay. The problem is that some dealers think that because it was a triple guide book 10 years ago, it still should be screwy.gif

I have been collecting a lot of GA good girl art issues these days (over 100).

I know- you've beaten me out of more than one book on ebay!

Sorry about that. I only have a few more books to go before moving on to something else. Just don't make the same mistake I make of overpaying for a book, and then a month later another one sells for a reasonable price.