• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are key comics good investments?

723 posts in this topic

Comics are not a "good" investment long term from this point in time on.

Why?

some of the many reasons include

!. they are not liquid,

2. they are fragile, even graded.

3. they are currently at historic highs

4.there is no interest or dividend of initial investment

5. reasons 5 through 10 are even more obvious than 1-4

Who forged your high school transcript?

as of 6-14-15 GA/SA/BA keys have never been more liquid. :preach:

How long will that last? No one can answer that, but let me ask any of you. If you were to buy any major blue chip GA/SA (some BA such as Hulk 181) key at any time since they were first published did you make or lose money?

Maybe we should be more specific when we says keys.

Do some of you mean books such as AF 15, X-men 1, Hulk 181 or mean any keys even from the copper age/modern age? I wouldn't invest in buying a book such as Teen Titans #2 or Walking Dead #1 over the proven stable keys.

I agree with many here that one shouldn't be investing all their money into comics books alone without putting away at least 10-15% of their income into a retirement fund or other diversified investments portfolios. After contributing to that I will say if someone asks my advice that there are a decent amount of comics I would say are 100% good investments even with you paying current market values.

There is risk in buying anything that the value could go down without notice. We all learned that in 2008-2009. In my opinion if you make some collectibles part of your retirement diversification then I don't think you will be disappointed in the long-run.

2c

From this point in time on....key comics ARE NOT a good investment,..

That ship has already sailed..............

I always feel so warm and fuzzy inside,when you tell people they can't do something.How about,just a thought! What about incurraging the young people,instead of knocking them down?

Funny,you seem to be the kind of guy that will tell us of comics demise.Gee I wonder why? :whistle:

One thing I have learned is the more that one talks, the less they have to say,

I have also noticed that people interpret thing things in their own unusual way,..

I have mentioned before that I love comics, I collect them and like having them graded, and yes I spend too much but thank god it is disposable income and I have no illusions that they will increase in value, I could never tell anyone to collect them for any other reasons, very few young people have 5K to spend on a JIM#83 and if they do buy one they must be told the other side of the story .... that is there is a likelihood the comic will not be sold for a profit and there are better investment alternatives therefor once again "key comics are not a good investment" rantrant

What age group do you assign to "young people?"

Profitability on key comics is relatively determined by timeline. Sure, 20+ years they may not be a good "investment" but in many comics there is cash to be had in the next 5-10 years if you buy now and relatively smart. Why is this a bad decision?

I mean if you are going to provide financial advice for the betterment of the "young people" why not go even further on ensuring they invest fully in a 401k, then Roth IRA and make sure their investment portfolio is diverse? I am kidding of course, but just trying to understand why and where you draw your lines on when and to what extent you provide advice...

:shrug:

:foryou:

I think 1950's War Comics statements should be taken in the most practical (and obvious) terms. i.e., "investing" in comic books is probably a lunatic notion for you if you work at Morgan Stanley, or still live with your parents, or your family is going hungry while you are buying books, etc.

I personally see comic book collecting as an (expensive) hobby, not an investment strategy.

-J.

Collect for fun, the comic markets are at all time highs, dealers may be able to turn a profit with "key comics" but your average investor likely will not

Many on these boards say YES key comics are a good investment and that is fine.. I merely suggest that it is not so,

There are two side to every story, I choose to suggest the con instead of the pro, people can make up their own minds

As far as age brackets go , if you have children, mortgage, car payments and medical insurance premiums due monthly ,..you probably should not be investing in pricy "silver age, primarily movie driven key comics" unless you are financially secure.

I personally see comic book collecting as an (expensive) hobby, not an investment strategy.

Exactly, and anyone who seriously invests a significant portion of their income in funny books circa 2015 is just looking for trouble.

It won't be long until the Marvel Movie Mania cools off (there is evidence of it happening now, with ultra-fickle teens) and Marvel Studios will eventually lay a few expensive eggs, then the whole house of cards starts to crumble.

I won't care in the least, as I just like collecting comics, and back issues will always be around in some venue or another.

I think 1950's War Comics statements should be taken in the most practical (and obvious) terms. i.e., "investing" in comic books is probably a lunatic notion for you if you work at Morgan Stanley, or still live with your parents, or your family is going hungry while you are buying books, etc.

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

Correct.

For any of us that are usually financially responsible adding comics such as some of the ones you have in your picture below your posts can't hurt either.

-J.

Correct.

For any of us that are usually financially responsible adding comics such as some of the ones you have in your picture below your posts can't hurt either.

:gossip: you should see his other sig line

-J.

Correct.

Maybe you should mine as well :whistle:

Yours isn't so bad either! (thumbs u

All this talk of awesome sig lines juxtaposed against a need to balance net worth across traditional investments is interesting. I had no idea we had so many multi-millionaires and independently wealthy people on the boards...

:insane:

-J.

Correct.

I have nearly 100K in my sig line. I certainly didn't pay that kind of dough for them,so guess my financial decisions have indeed worked out for me.

-J.

Correct.

I have nearly 100K in my sig line. I certainly didn't pay that kind of dough for them,so guess my financial decisions have indeed worked out for me.

Would you then have no problem suggesting to someone to buy the comics in your signature line at todays prices?? In my opinion to do that at todays prices would be the same as attempting financial suicide

-J.

Correct.

Would you then have no problem suggesting to someone to buy the comics in your signature line at todays prices?? In my opinion to do that at todays prices would be the same as attempting financial suicide

So do you think buying a AF 15 or a Hulk 181 at todays prices is financial suicide?

Since I already know your mind is made up and will say yes so please elaborate on why two books that have never really gone down in price since they were published are any different than buying Apple shares at today's current prices.

Everything you buy in life has a risk to lose value. Comics are no different than stocks. I wouldn't advise anyone to only buy AF 15's the same as I wouldn't advise anyone to buy stock in just one company.

I personally think low grade is save from a major fallout. There are plenty of peope willing to spend a little to get a piece of the pie. I'd never spend thousands on a book, but a few hundred? Sure. It doesn't have to be perfect for me to be happy. I'm thrilled to have a mid to low grade piece of history.

I think there's always going to be plenty of poor folk like me that collect to keep lower grades valuable.

I personally think low grade is save from a major fallout. There are plenty of peope willing to spend a little to get a piece of the pie. I'd never spend thousands on a book, but a few hundred? Sure. It doesn't have to be perfect for me to be happy. I'm thrilled to have a mid to low grade piece of history.

I think there's always going to be plenty of poor folk like me that collect to keep lower grades valuable.

Actually the opposite. Not saying you are poor or anything but low/mid collectors of keys actually make those grades spike. Case in point Hulk 181's. Most people don't want to shell out 2-5K for a HG copy so they go down to the next lower levels of grades. Times that by many of the same mindset then of course the books goes up across the board.

Of course some market manipulation plays a part but in what free trading market business does it not.

-J.

Correct.

Yes,I would have no problem with that what so ever.

-J.

Correct.

Yes,I would have no problem with that what so ever.

You are either diabolically uncaring about your fellow man....or a "stand-up guy."

:insane: