• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are key comics good investments?

723 posts in this topic

On yeah one other thing.....

I've been told of comics bubble bursting for forty years,and people telling me that the hobby is dead for forty years......

Where were you, a mental hospital?

Who told you! lol

I've been told of comics bubble bursting for forty years,and people telling me that the hobby is dead for forty years......

Where were you, a mental hospital?

Who told you! lol

Seriously, I never hear a whit about any comic meltdown until the early-90's (when I got out of Moderns for good) and really nothing about vintage until CGC started up and the bubble began to really grow.

As rational people, we all realize that no bubble can keep growing forever, but I think we have another 10-20 years of stability until the house of cards comes falling down.

You've been hearing this for forty years? Where were you, a mental hospital?

People telling comic books were dead,they didn't specifically say "bubble". Does that make you feel better?

New fans will continue to be made not tons that get into collectinf but the appreciation for them will also be there to a degree. They'll never be worthless like sports cards.

I'm sure that's what sports card collectors said too about other hobbies.

A lot of my relatives are still into vintage sportscards, but anything from the past 30-35 years has literally fallen into the garbage bin. A while back I was shown an article in a card mag that outlined the reasons for this:

1) Newer card issues are far too expensive (some are/were $100-$1,000 a pack retail) and most concentrate on artificial-scarcity "limited" variant/auto cards rather than set collectibility.

2) Price, retail location and distribution has driven out all but the more-affluent "adult speculator".

3) Adults priced/forced out (what remained of) the kids in the 90's and turned it into a pure money-making scheme.

Some of these sound familiar?

lol that sure does. That definitely doesn't sound good for any moderns

New fans will continue to be made not tons that get into collectinf but the appreciation for them will also be there to a degree. They'll never be worthless like sports cards.

A lot of my relatives are still into vintage sportscards, but anything from the past 30-35 years has literally fallen into the garbage bin. A while back I was shown an article in a card mag that outlined the reasons for this:

1) Newer card issues are far too expensive (some are/were $100-$1,000 a pack retail) and most concentrate on artificial-scarcity "limited" variant/auto cards rather than set collectibility.

2) Price, retail location and distribution has driven out all but the more-affluent "adult speculator".

3) Adults priced/forced out (what remained of) the kids in the 90's and turned it into a pure money-making scheme.

Some of these sound familiar?

When I was 12 I was faced with a choice since funds were tight. To this day besides moving to California from the east coast I would say this decision changed my life forever.

Either collect sports cards or comics books. My mentor and future boss at the comic book store said to me, "John the real difference hear why comic books are better is you don't have to worry about Spider-man hitting .300 every year."

hm

That day I sold every sports card I had.

I was lucky to get out when I did.

I don't think anyone has said people should stop collecting comics.

Exactly. People who are over-invested emotionally and/or financially in comics because they have been good to them can't seem to understand that times have changed, prices are orders of magnitude higher and people have limitless options these days of hobbies to pursue. People growing up today are having a completely different relationship with comic characters that we did, much as people growing today are having a completely different relationship with sports fandom than we did. Who needs sports cards when you can Google stats, watch YouTube clips of past games, get every game on satellite or cable and play fantasy sports? Comics offer perhaps a more robust experience than sports cards, but more and more people are opting to get their superhero fix through the movies, TV, videogames and merchandising. Long-term popularity of superheroes <> long-term demand for vintage comic books :idea:

If people are discouraged from getting into comics because they read this thread and conclude it won't be the gravy train it has been for guys like Oakman over the past 35 years, then F 'em. :sumo:

Anyone with a 1st grade education saw the sports card collapse coming same as the housing bubble.

Seeing the sports cards collapse was just as easy as seeing King James losing yet again in the NBA finals.

Ziiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg

No of course not.

Collectors collect,because there is value to the collection Understand?

You tell someone who collects that their collection is going to be worthless in say 5 years,then what's the point collecting it?

So now you have little Bobby Brown coming on to read these very forums,and reads that comic books are going to be worthless in 5 years,then in his mind he's thinking why should I spend money on collecting comic books when they won't hold their value!

It's a collectors mindset,you could replace comics for toys or watches or just about anything collectors collect,And the thought process would be the same.

Anyone with a 1st grade education saw the sports card collapse coming same as the housing bubble.

Anyone with a 1st grade education can see that young people today aren't going to spend as much on vintage comics when they grow up as Gen X and the Baby Boomers did, let alone spend even more as implied by your prediction of ever-rising prices.

Anyone with a 1st grade education can see that young people today aren't going to spend as much on vintage comics when they grow up as Gen X and the Baby Boomers did, let alone spend even more as implied by your prediction of ever-rising prices.

See that is where a college education comes in and say I disagree.

As long as oil keeps trading low can I really have a bad day? :headbang:

No of course not.

You tell someone who collects that their collection is going to be worthless in say 5 years,then what's the point collecting it?

So now you have little Bobby Brown coming on to read these very forums,and reads that comic books are going to be worthless in 5 years,then in his mind he's thinking why should I spend money on collecting comic books when they won't hold their value!

It's a collectors mindset,you could replace comics for toys or watches or just about anything collectors collect,And the thought process would be the same.

That's simply not true. I collect watches and would probably take a 6-figure hit if I sold my collection. But, hey, guess what - I don't care. I feel like they reflect my personality and sense of style, I feel good about owning them, and, of course, I wear them regularly. That they do not hold their value does not enter into the equation or stop me from collecting them.

Similarly, I have a pretty spiffy comic art collection which I fully expect to be a bad investment over the length of time I plan on holding it. But, I get a lot of pleasure owning and viewing my collection and have no intention of selling just because it makes financial sense. I built a collection I'm proud of and I enjoy owning it.

Again, I feel sad if people are only owning their collections because they feel that prices won't go down. I feel prices will go down and I own my collection anyway - because I love it. Can everyone else here say the same? Evidently not. :sorry:

No of course not.

I guess we are all different. Personally I don't collect comics with the thought of what they are going to be worth down the road. My assumption is they won't be worth much (probably less than I paid for them). Now I also don't collect really expensive comics.

No of course not.

That's simply not true. I collect watches and would probably take a 6-figure hit if I sold my collection. But, hey, guess what - I don't care. I feel like they reflect my personality and sense of style, I feel good about owning them, and, of course, I wear them regularly. That they do not hold their value does not enter into the equation or stop me from collecting them.

Similarly, I have a pretty spiffy comic art collection which I fully expect to be a bad investment over the length of time I plan on holding it. But, I get a lot of pleasure owning and viewing my collection and have no intention of selling just because it makes financial sense. I built a collection I'm proud of and I enjoy owning it.

Again, I feel sad if people are only owning their collections because they feel that prices won't go down. I feel prices will go down and I own my collection anyway - because I love it. Can everyone else here say the same? Evidently not. :sorry:

I would like for them to at least hold their value,wouldn't you?

Believing that comics will hold their value over the medium term is not the same as ONLY owning them because of that.

Don't be a tool.

Sure, except that my wanting the stuff I own to hold its value or, preferably, appreciate wildly in value, has no bearing on what the market will actually do. As such, I try to look at this stuff as dispassionately and objectively as I possibly can. Doesn't mean I don't love the hobby - if anything, the fact that I'm dour about its longer-term prospects and collect anyway probably means I love it more than many people who wouldn't stick around if it were no longer financially advantageous to them.

See things for what they really are, not just what you would like them to be. 2c

Sure, except that my wanting the stuff I own to hold its value or, preferably, appreciate wildly in value, has no bearing on what the market will actually do. As such, I try to look at this stuff as dispassionately and objectively as I possibly can. Doesn't mean I don't love the hobby - if anything, the fact that I'm dour about its longer-term prospects and collect anyway probably means I love it more than many people who wouldn't stick around if it were no longer financially advantageous to them.

See things for what they really are, not just what you would like them to be. 2c

Touche' I'm sure that will be your speech after the comics crash.

Me I would rather encourage new collectors,help them grow in our hobby.Helping them helps the hobby grow as a whole.

Maybe I do see things for what they are,but maybe I see things for what they can be. 2c

Me I would rather encourage new collectors,help them grow in our hobby.Helping them helps the hobby grow as a whole.

Maybe I do see things for what they are,but maybe I see things for what they can be. 2c

:applause:

I too want the hobby to grow. I want new people to enjoy the characters I've enjoyed for all these years. I can think of nothing worse for the growth of the hobby for people to get into it purely for monetary reasons. Those are the people who will change it from being a correction to being a crash. And that will hurt the hobby much more long term than some people with dollar signs in their eyes not getting into the hobby now. Again, I'm not saying don't buy books. I'm just saying don't bet the bank on them. Buy on a budget and don't extend yourself to get into this hobby that's returning such great returns. There are tons of cool comics that don't cost $25k to buy. Buy some. Read them. Enjoy them. Put your investments in the stock market.

As a collector, former comic book store owner etc for over 50 years here is my opinion:

The majority of comic books 95% are in a downward tread and will continue to do so due to a lack of demand and future collectors. . Mile High Comics theory that Bigger is better in terms of having every comic book in stock plus...if fools gold. There will be no demand to buy 99% of their stock other than recycle it.

There is opportunity however in choice GA/SA keys and ultra top grade books, they will be the last one to take a hit...Action 1, AF 15 etc...those are the safest and in some rare instances have a major upside such as Cap 1...etc

You just have to buy Better as times get tougher for all collectables.

Everyday a comic book store or bookstore closes and another 5000 I pads are sold.

The law of supple and demand coupled with the "tulip bulb" theory will bring down prices of even the best of the Best.

With the CGC, comic book collecting has been turned into a commodity market.

DO NOT FORGET...every commodity market has at one time has and will collapse. The comic book market is no exception....it is gonna happen...the real question is when and what you have invested in that market at that time.

It is going to come in a downward adjustment of price, will not necessarly knock out the market.....but it will not recover to that level due to a decrease in demand by less comic book real collectors. The speculations will run like the wind...and leave us...the true comic book collectors to pick up the pieces. I see the beginning triggered by a major auction house auction in which market prices just flat out collapse at 50% across the board on prices...that spead like wildfire.

Would I spend 2 million dollars on a comic book today...no way....no matter what it is...that is speculator territory and is subject to violent collapse.

Would I spend $10 bucks on a new graphic novel, or course.

We all know nothing lasts forever, even the comic book itself will one day decompose into dust.

When you pay 20 times guide for the "highest " graded copy...you are a speculator...and we all know were that ends up...

So if you collect as a true collector, and don't care about "value" and pay reasonable prices not speculator jacked up money....enjoy