• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back in the late '60 a letter concerning conserving Marvel Art check it out

22 posts in this topic

I was looking through the FF Omnibus 2 found a cool letter who knew back then that what Stan and Jack were doing was going to be something very special.

14kjyhl.jpg:banana:

Even then the art was to be treasured. I'm sure this collector got some of it when it became available.

(thumbs u

Sadly, for many years comics were perceived as a very disposable medium. They were not meant to be saved, collected or treasured. Especially the art. It took up a lot of space and was treated very badly. I doubt even the artists them selves thought much of it at the time. The only one who seemed to have any forsight was Bill Gaines and he probably only saved his file copies and art for future financial gain. God bless him!

Sadly, for many years comics were perceived as a very disposable medium. They were not meant to be saved, collected or treasured.

Which is really the only reason they're worth anything today.

That's pathetic and odd. Other publishers kept file copies of their comics, why not Marvel?

I get the feeling that Marvel was always slightly poor, rushed and possibly disorganized because of it. There was no real value in preserving old art pages as history in the 1960's. They were struggling to make it as a comic company by pumping out stories.

And yes, as JC states and I tell every person who says 'If only I saved them'....they'd be worthless if you did.

That's pathetic and odd. Other publishers kept file copies of their comics, why not Marvel?

I get the feeling that Marvel was always slightly poor, rushed and possibly disorganized because of it. There was no real value in preserving old art pages as history in the 1960's. They were struggling to make it as a comic company by pumping out stories.

And yes, as JC states and I tell every person who says 'If only I saved them'....they'd be worthless if you did.

That`s why golden age and silver age comics,vintage baseball cards, the first Hot Wheels Sweet 16 ,and original GI Joe action figures are worth something. People threw them out, and didn`t preserve them.

That`s why I question all these Franklin Mint type variant comics that come out right now. A 10,000 PRINT RUN that is all well preserved in mint condition = manufactured collectible.

um, wasn't stan stashing away that art and those file copies for sale under different aliases in a few decades bit by bit?

um, wasn't stan stashing away that art and those file copies for sale under different aliases in a few decades bit by bit?

Really? :popcorn:

Sadly, for many years comics were perceived as a very disposable medium. They were not meant to be saved, collected or treasured. Especially the art. It took up a lot of space and was treated very badly. I doubt even the artists them selves thought much of it at the time. The only one who seemed to have any forsight was Bill Gaines and he probably only saved his file copies and art for future financial gain. God bless him!

I remember asking my dad why he didn't keep his comics as a kid. His reply was, "because you read them once or twice, and then threw them away". As if throwing away comics after you read them is what you were supposed to do. doh!

I was looking through the FF Omnibus 2 found a cool letter who knew back then that what Stan and Jack were doing was going to be something very special.

14kl.jpg:banana:

Even then the art was to be treasured. I'm sure this collector got some of it when it became available.

(thumbs u

I think you are projecting your idea of the value of the art onto a 1960s letter that is just asking for "indestructible transcripts" to be kept. An archive. A permanent record. A means with which to ensure the stories don't fade into the ether. Not necessarily the hand drawn artwork.

(thumbs u

I think you are projecting your idea of the value of the art onto a 1960s letter that is just asking for "indestructible transcripts" to be kept. An archive. A permanent record. A means with which to ensure the stories don't fade into the ether. Not necessarily the hand drawn artwork.

Agree with Bronty. That letter isn't even about "art", I'm seeing it's referring to physical comics, a reference library. Obviously there came a point post-70s Olshevsky, when Peter Sanderson was brought in to organize, collate, and archive for Marvel, the result being the Official Handbooks, Indexes, and Marvel Saga during the 25th Anniversary event year and beyond.

Really a shame that just a decade later, all was tossed to reboot all the long main series and change so much of the history, or even ignore it altogether. If I was Sanderson (or Olshevsky) I'd be :pullhair:

Public libraries exist so that everybody doesn't have to collect/own every little thing they like and enjoy. Same with museums. Stan had the right answer, when it was time they simply bought a copy from the open market (if that's even a true story!), it's not as if there weren't any old Marvels (or Timelys for that matter) "around".

(thumbs u

Agree with Bronty. That letter isn't even about "art", I'm seeing it's referring to physical comics, a reference library. Obviously there came a point post-70s Olshevsky, when Peter Sanderson was brought in to organize, collate, and archive for Marvel, the result being the Official Handbooks, Indexes, and Marvel Saga during the 25th Anniversary event year and beyond.

Really a shame that just a decade later, all was tossed to reboot all the long main series and change so much of the history, or even ignore it altogether. If I was Sanderson (or Olshevsky) I'd be :pullhair:

Public libraries exist so that everybody doesn't have to collect/own every little thing they like and enjoy. Same with museums. Stan had the right answer, when it was time they simply bought a copy from the open market (if that's even a true story!), it's not as if there weren't any old Marvels (or Timelys for that matter) "around".

Speaking of Sanderson and Olshevsky what ever happened to them?

I would love for them to tackle Marvel Comics continuity today. :wishluck:

Marvel keeping one of every published comic would hardly have impacted today's collectible values. That's assuming they even tried to keep them in tip top shape, which would be a big assumption given the throwaway nature of this form of entertainment.

(thumbs u

In the 60s it was relatively easy and cheap to find old comics in New York book stores for half the cover price.

given that all of this stuff was being reprinted by marvel by 1965 if not earlier (and marvel had been reprinting stuff for years in its sci fi/fantasy comics) I suspect they had it somewhere if not the plates or whatever they used at the printers.

Marvel keeping one of every published comic would hardly have impacted today's collectible values. That's assuming they even tried to keep them in tip top shape, which would be a big assumption given the throwaway nature of this form of entertainment.

It wasn't Stan keeping file copies that would change the market, it would be the notion that someone in the future might be interested in the art form of comics.

It wasn't Stan keeping file copies that would change the market, it would be the notion that someone in the future might be interested in the art form of comics.

I don't disagree with that. However, some publishers (and collectors) didn't throw away their comics. They kept them and in some cases, kept them in pristine shape. Marvel, for whatever reason, didn't feel the need to do that. I find it interesting, and a bit odd at the same time.

As far as I know DC didn't keep file copies either did they?

For those that have been around for a while, remember Gary Carter (and his brother too, maybe?) had a complete set of DC from beginning to (then) present (which was until the late 90s??) Pretty sure DC didn't have a set and did ask for help from the Carters from time to time. But that's memory, anybody that knows/remembers different please pipe up!

I don't disagree with that. However, some publishers (and collectors) didn't throw away their comics. They kept them and in some cases, kept them in pristine shape. Marvel, for whatever reason, didn't feel the need to do that. I find it interesting, and a bit odd at the same time.

Marvel sold their back issues until they ran out.

Stan Lee had personally kept copies of all the golden age books until a flood in his home reportedly destroyed everything (apparently in the late 50s or early '60). Afterwards he kept sporadic issues and no longer meticulously kept one of everything.

We're talking as if 1960s Marvels are hard to find.