• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine Priority List

58 posts in this topic

The X-Men 94 vs. Hulk 180 is a very tough decision, but there is really no question in my mind that the two most important Wolverine books are:

Hulk 181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1, his first and second full appearances.

That's what comics are about, what's INSIDE, not a one-panel cameo that a speculator tells you is important. Hulk 181 is the first full appearance of the rough Proto-Wolverine while GS X-Men 1 is the first appearance of the fully-fleshed out version of Wolverine we all knew and loved.

Now, whether a one-panel cameo outweighs his 3rd full appearance and first appearance in the regular X-Men series, well that's a question for everyone to weigh out themselves.

JC I respect your opinion on most everything, but Hulk 180 only a speculative importance? I see it as a first appearance fact,but we all have our crosses to bear.

JC I respect your opinion on most everything, but Hulk 180 only a speculative importance?

For me, definitely. He's not on the cover, he's not in 99% of the comic, and even the last panel is only of Proto-Wolverine. I was a Wolverine fan and I had no use for that issue, as it adds absolutely nothing to the character and is purely a speculative "rookie card" type mentality that drives demand.

Example: If you were to read Hulk 181, and all the subsequent X-Men/Wolverine/etc. comics, but skip Hulk 180, what about the character would you miss?

JC I respect your opinion on most everything, but Hulk 180 only a speculative importance?

For me, definitely. He's not on the cover, he's not in 99% of the comic, and even the last panel is only of Proto-Wolverine. I was a Wolverine fan and I had no use for that issue, as it adds absolutely nothing to the character and is purely a speculative "rookie card" type mentality that drives demand.

Example: If you were to read Hulk 181, and all the subsequent X-Men/Wolverine/etc. comics, but skip Hulk 180, what about the character would you miss?

Then what is your opinion on Jimmy Olsen #134 vs. Forever People#1?

Before Hulk #181 !

Before Hulk #180 !!

There was the advertisement :olol Thought I'd share this cool Ad piece, I just found out about it, I cut it out then placed it back of my Hulk #181 bag. Wished Herb was still around loved to have something like this signed & sketched by him :luhv:

007_zpshmhrdffo.jpg

Before Hulk #181 !

Before Hulk #180 !!

There was the advertisement :olol Thought I'd share this cool Ad piece, I just found out about it, I cut it out then placed it back of my Hulk #181 bag. Wished Herb was still around loved to have something like this signed & sketched by him :luhv:

007_zpshmhrdffo.jpg

I believe there was already a thread on this topic. These ads (Daredevil 115 contained one of them, IIRC) came out in between 180 and 181. So, 180 is still technically the first appearance.

His first appearance. :whee:

Huh?

Again, we're talking as a COMIC READER/FAN, and NOT a speculator. :makepoint:

His first appearance. :whee:

Huh?

Again, we're talking as a COMIC READER/FAN, and NOT a speculator. :makepoint:

Just having a bit of fun.

However, the first time a character appears in story cannot be an important factor to a COMIC READER/FAN?

Complete stories can be a big part of a person's collection, without an ounce of speculation involved.

I would say the following:

(1) Hulk 181

(2) Hulk 180

(3) GSXM 1

(4) X-Men 94

(5) Iron Fist 14

(6) Wolverine 1 (1982)

(7) Wolverine 1 (1988)

(8) Hulk 182 (gotta complete the set)

Then there is too much noise - but key books after that: X-Men 141 and 142, Wolverine #10 (1988), Hulk 340, X-Men #4 (1992), etc.

Again, this in terms of importance to Wolverine, not overall key factor (i.e., GSXM is a more improtant book than Hulk 180).

Much, much noise. But I would add Woverine #17 in there way at the bottom for a classic cover. Not much value.