• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine Priority List

58 posts in this topic

I would say the following:

(1) Hulk 181

(2) Hulk 180

(3) GSXM 1

(4) X-Men 94

(5) Iron Fist 14

(6) Wolverine 1 (1982)

(7) Wolverine 1 (1988)

(8) Hulk 182 (gotta complete the set)

Then there is too much noise - but key books after that: X-Men 141 and 142, Wolverine #10 (1988), Hulk 340, X-Men #4 (1992), etc.

Again, this in terms of importance to Wolverine, not overall key factor (i.e., GSXM is a more improtant book than Hulk 180).

I think I'd probably swap GSXM and 180 on that list

Easy, as it's the second full appearance of Wolverine and his first in the new team.

I could see GSXM1 over Hulk 180 - GSXM1 is a bigger "key" overall, but I still think Wolverine's first cameo is slightly more important than his second full appearance. Although joining the X-Men makes GSXM1 arguably as important - tough call IMO (likely not in others :) )

I would say the following:

(1) Hulk 181

(2) Hulk 180

(3) GSXM 1

(4) X-Men 94

(5) Iron Fist 14

(6) Wolverine 1 (1982)

(7) Wolverine 1 (1988)

(8) Hulk 182 (gotta complete the set)

Then there is too much noise - but key books after that: X-Men 141 and 142, Wolverine #10 (1988), Hulk 340, X-Men #4 (1992), etc.

Again, this in terms of importance to Wolverine, not overall key factor (i.e., GSXM is a more improtant book than Hulk 180).

I think I'd probably swap GSXM and 180 on that list

Easy, as it's the second full appearance of Wolverine and his first in the new team.

I could see GSXM1 over Hulk 180 - GSXM1 is a bigger "key" overall, but I still think Wolverine's first cameo is slightly more important than his second full appearance. Although joining the X-Men makes GSXM1 arguably as important - tough call IMO (likely not in others :) )

I always come back to the reason we used to buy these comics - to read, enjoy and appreciate what's *inside*, not what some moronic speculator tells us to like.

And I got a *lot* more early-Wolverine goodness from GS X-Men 1 than Hulk 180. Even more than Hulk 181 and it's probably the most important book overall in the genesis of the Wolverine character.

Great discussion and as a Wolverine fan getting back into the hobby my first must have was Hulk #181.

Next is a tough call for me but I keep leaning hard toward Giant Size X-Men #1 as my next purchase vs Hulk #180.

As a "cover lover" i'm really pulled toward GSXM #1 and will probably end up going that direction.

Again, great discussion and love hearing others opinions!

As a "cover lover" i'm really pulled toward GSXM #1 and will probably end up going that direction.

Good call, as to me, Giant-Size X-Men #1 is really the first appearance of the Wolverine character that we know and love. The one in Hulk 180-182 is really just a "little guy with claw-gloves" prototype that Claremont molded into a totally different character.

GS X-Men #1 probably one of the best intros ever, and his interactions with his superior officer tell use everything we need to know about Wolverine.

Good call, as to me, Giant-Size X-Men #1 is really the first appearance of the Wolverine character that we know and love. The one in Hulk 180-182 is really just a "little guy with claw-gloves" prototype that Claremont molded into a totally different character.

GS X-Men #1 probably one of the best intros ever, and his interactions with his superior officer tell use everything we need to know about Wolverine.

+1

I would put the list as 181, GSXM 1, X-men 94, and 180 as a distant fourth.

-J.

I think I'm on board with most of the last few of you:

Hulk 181

GSXM 1

XM 94

Hulk 180

The Hulk 180 is the last one that I need at this point until I decide to start upgrading.

I agree, as an X-men and Wolverine fan, GSXM1 is one of the most important books in my collection, even if not the most valuable.

Yeah, compare these to the "Little Guy Wearing Claw Gloves" Wolverine in Hulk 180-182.

155865.jpg.bc28ae01815db62c8522826c944b93de.jpg

155866.jpg.aecc05b30a1fc74c80ec7eb99dc4012b.jpg

I agree, as an X-men and Wolverine fan, GSXM1 is one of the most important books in my collection, even if not the most valuable.

Yeah, compare these to the "Little Guy Wearing Claw Gloves" Wolverine in Hulk 180-182.

Where are these pages from? Looks like the inking and color has been updated from an original GSXM #1.

Hulk 181

GSXM 1

XM 94

Hulk 180

The Hulk 180 is the last one that I need at this point until I decide to start upgrading.

Alright, I can maybe get behind the idea that GSXM1 is more important to Wolverine than Hulk 180 - but I just don't see how X-Men 94 is more important for Wolverine. While X-Men 94 is a key X-Men book and arguably a bigger key than Hulk 180 - I still think the first cameo (and some would say 1st overall appearance) of Wolverine is more important than his first appearance in the regular X-Men series.

I get the impact of GSXM1 to Wolverine as it is the issue when he joins the X-Men and it establishes the Wolverine that we all grow to love - but I am not sure X-Men 94 is that big of a deal to Wolverine (it is a key book as it starts the new X-Men in a regular series but maybe not that key to Wolverine - unless I am missing something).

Hulk 181

GSXM 1

XM 94

Hulk 180

Alright, I can maybe get behind the idea that GSXM1 is more important to Wolverine than Hulk 180 - but I just don't see how X-Men 94 is more important for Wolverine. While X-Men 94 is a key X-Men book and arguably a bigger key than Hulk 180 - I still think the first cameo (and some would say 1st overall appearance) of Wolverine is more important than his first appearance in the regular X-Men series.

I get the impact of GSXM1 to Wolverine as it is the issue when he joins the X-Men and it establishes the Wolverine that we all grow to love - but I am not sure X-Men 94 is that big of a deal to Wolverine (it is a key book as it starts the new X-Men in a regular series but maybe not that key to Wolverine - unless I am missing something).

Hulk 180 is a non-substantive one-panel cameo appearance at the end of a Wendigo story. You get a Hulk 180 either when you have run out of Wolverine books to buy, or you can't afford (or just don't want to drop the coin) on one of the other more expensive books. There is a reason why Hulk 180 is much cheaper than the other three books.

X men 94 is the beginning of an historic and groundbreaking in-title run that resurrected the entire X franchise and laid the table for the X men that we still see today. Without X-men 94, GSXM 1 would have just been a meaningless one-shot, and without Wolverine being included in that run, we may never have experienced this entire cinematic boom for comic book movies.

X men 94 has been viewed as an extremely important book for as long as I can remember, and I would even say that it may be *under* valued now, given where we are today with all these comic book movies and never ending X-men sequels.

-J.

Yeah.... pretty much what he said.

I also don't necessarily think that Hulk 180 is more or less important FOR WOLVERINE than XM 94, but I think that because it's more important OVERALL, it easily puts it ahead of Hulk 180. I mean, I can come up with a dozen reasons why XM 94 is more important to Wolverine and another dozen as to why Hulk 180 would be more important to Wolverine. So it's kind of a wash for me. The tie-breaker essentially being that XM94 is an obviously more important book to the X-Men than Hulk 180 is to the Hulk.

The X-Men 94 vs. Hulk 180 is a very tough decision, but there is really no question in my mind that the two most important Wolverine books are:

Hulk 181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1, his first and second full appearances.

That's what comics are about, what's INSIDE, not a one-panel cameo that a speculator tells you is important. Hulk 181 is the first full appearance of the rough Proto-Wolverine while GS X-Men 1 is the first appearance of the fully-fleshed out version of Wolverine we all knew and loved.

Now, whether a one-panel cameo outweighs his 3rd full appearance and first appearance in the regular X-Men series, well that's a question for everyone to weigh out themselves.