• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk 181 CGC Prices are...

214 posts in this topic

That's my point. I'm sure dealers get asked about comics that are less expensive more than those that are more expensive. So saying one comic will be asked about more than another doesn't make it a bigger key.

It may not make it a bigger key, but it certainly shows which book is more in-demand.

I'm a big indie collector, and, personally, I'd take a TMNT #1 over an ASM #300 or NM #98 any day of the week, but it's nutso to think that there's the same sort of demand for a TMNT #1 than there is for the other 2 books; that just isn't the case.

Your example is meaningless because the parameters aren't equal - if a dealer drastically underprices a well-known book on his show wall, it's pretty much a given that said book will receive a lot of attention. It doesn't mean anything in regards to the popularity of the book itself.

Maybe the reason people don't inquire about the TMNT #1 is because they already assume it is going to be having a big money tag on it. I think new collectors or fans of Deadpool and Venom can afford the $1000 or less it will cost them to get a high grade copy. Turtles forget it.

Same reason I wouldn't bother to ask to look at the Action #1 or Tec 27 at a store, even though they are far beyond any other book in there.

Maybe the reason people don't inquire about the TMNT #1 is because they already assume it is going to be having a big money tag on it. I think new collectors or fans of Deadpool and Venom can afford the $1000 or less it will cost them to get a high grade copy. Turtles forget it.

Nah ... it's because Deadpool and Venom are far more popular than the turtles. The current TMNT series sells about 15-17k copies a month - that's not terrible, but it's a far cry from the 90-100k copies the regular Deadpool series moves.

The people who can afford to spend $1000 on a NM #98 in 9.8 could most likely also afford to pick up a nice copy of TMNT #1 - but they choose not to.

Lets say at any comic book show you arranged on a wall a CGC 9.6/9.8 copy of:

ASM 300 TMNT #1 NM #98

(Left) (center) (right)

In what order would you think people would inquire about each?

Are they priced? At market value? Are the prices easily visible from the customers POV?

ASM 300 TMNT #1 NM #98

(Left) (center) (right)

Are they priced? At market value? Are the prices easily visible from the customers POV?

I am obviously being condensing to most of you boardies :devil:

TMNT #1 is in 3rd place behind these other 2 books at all times.

NM 98 and ASM 300 are asked about far more than TMNT #1 and that has been for years now.

I could care less which book is worth more, my point is TMNT #1 is not the most important key of the Copper Age anymore. Value yes, importance no.

Lets say for argument sake the value/supply of the books are equal. :idea:

TMNT #1 copies would be in 3rd place by a wide margin to NM 98 and ASM 300 sales.

Lets say I have 50 copies of each I would bet my soul to the devil that it would take me longer to sell TMNT #1's than the other two all things being equal.

I think it is about demographics.

In all honesty 30-40yo will be going for TMNT 1

But anyone younger than that it will be ASM then Deadpool easily!

I mean base it on how the franchises were run back in the 90s to now.

90s Turtles were king! But look at how the TMNT movie was made. It targeted its original audiences but didnt really get "new" followers.

Look at Spiderman... now that is how a franchise is run properly. New followers now know more about Spiderman..so anything ASM basically sticked with this new blood.

Followed by Deadpool. Im able to say this because of my nieces who are really not into comics but they KNOW Spidey and villains! Deadpool not too much...yet! Most of them didnt like the turtles though... apparently they looked disgusting and "not cool" for them.

2 of them even said they like Axe Cop more than TMNT... i dont even know what axe cop is! lol

ASM 300 TMNT #1 NM #98

(Left) (center) (right)

NM 98 and ASM 300 are asked about far more than TMNT #1 and that has been for years now.

I could care less which book is worth more, my point is TMNT #1 is not the most important key of the Copper Age anymore. Value yes, importance no.

You are out of your gourd. You arguments are based on picking points of information you like and omitting or ignoring points you don't like.

TMNT has far more fans than either Deadpool or Venom is a fact.

TMNT has had multiple cartoons, multiple movies and multiple billions of merchandise sold for going past 30 years now.

Deadpool current comic sells the best is a fact.

Deadpool is very popular in comics, but is still unproven as a long term sustainable character.

None one under the age of 15 know who Venom is (outside New Warriors version) is a fact.

Spider-Man is very popular, but focus on Venom as a key villian faded away in the 90's.

If you take supply and demand into play, market pricing has already dictated which of these three books is most key.

You are grasping at straws in the crazy mug my friend.

ASM 300 TMNT #1 NM #98

(Left) (center) (right)

You are out of your gourd. You arguments are based on picking points of information you like and omitting or ignoring points you don't like.

TMNT has had multiple cartoons, multiple movies and multiple billions of merchandise sold for going past 30 years now.

Deadpool is very popular in comics, but is still unproven as a long term sustainable character.

None one under the age of 15 know who Venom is (outside New Warriors version) is a fact.

Spider-Man is very popular, but focus on Venom as a key villian faded away in the 90's.

If you take supply and demand into play, market pricing has already dictated which of these three books is most key.

How many shows do you set-up at?

BTW I have obviously sold multiplies of each of these books so I guess pay my market knowledge no mind.

Right now as of today's date Venom and Deadpool are 110% more popular characters than TMNT which I grew up with. My friend's son who just turned 7 yesterday asked me to buy him for his birthday Deadpool comics.

Since folks are giving there opinion i would put both ASM 300 and NM 98 above TMNT, probally other book I would put above it if I thought long enough. . Like all of us I have alot of friends who collect etc. Most of them would love to own a NM 98 or ASM 300 and have no interest in anything Turtles . Sure TMNT is more valuable but that's it. Its not more important and or more popular. . Only reason i would want TMNT would be for financial reasons I guess. Do I like the turtles , sure but as a comic collector its just not up there for me. And I do not take away its value as its so rare. its right where it belongs financially.

For me the most important book of the copper age is Amazing Spiderman 300.

90s Turtles were king! But look at how the TMNT movie was made. It targeted its original audiences but didnt really get "new" followers.

Look at Spiderman... now that is how a franchise is run properly. New followers now know more about Spiderman..so anything ASM basically sticked with this new blood.

Followed by Deadpool. Im able to say this because of my nieces who are really not into comics but they KNOW Spidey and villains! Deadpool not too much...yet! Most of them didnt like the turtles though... apparently they looked disgusting and "not cool" for them.

2 of them even said they like Axe Cop more than TMNT... i dont even know what axe cop is! lol

This isn't true. Turtles have far more popularity and awareness with kids of all ages. There has been a popular cartoon on air for almost 20 years!

Kids in a comic shop don't decide which character is the most popular long term. Kids in the toy aisles do. TMNT is everywhere, Deapool isn't even a close comparison. Venom is purely inflated by 90's fandom, he doesn't even exist as a major villain in modern continuity.

Lets say for argument sake the value/supply of the books are equal. :idea:

TMNT #1 copies would be in 3rd place by a wide margin to NM 98 and ASM 300 sales.

Lets say I have 50 copies of each I would bet my soul to the devil that it would take me longer to sell TMNT #1's than the other two all things being equal.

I disagree, when I have TMNT #1 in stock

I'm asked about it more often than any other book.

If everything is treated equal on value/supply and I had 50 copies of each.

I'd be sold out of TMNT #1 long before I even sold 10 copies of

ASM #300 and NM #98.

TMNT is a pop culture franchise juggernaut that is more recognized than Venom and Deadpool worldwide.

The BIGGER KEY BOOK IS TMNT #1

The CURRENT HOT BOOKS ARE NM 98 AND ASM 300

This isn't true. Turtles have far more popularity and awareness with kids of all ages. There has been a popular cartoon on air for almost 20 years!

Kids in a comic shop don't decide which character is the most popular long term. Kids in the toy aisles do. TMNT is everywhere, Deapool isn't even a close comparison. Venom is purely inflated by 90's fandom, he doesn't even exist as a major villain in modern continuity.

I mean maybe in general. Im just saying my nieces who are kids and their friends dont like the Turtles. They didnt like the new movie version and thought of the character looks as disgusting :)

I just based it on the kids and their friends that i know personally...

But of course for me I am a teenage mutant fan hehe...

Im just saying they found the turtles disgusting in the movie and they didnt think of it as "cool"

ASM 300 TMNT #1 NM #98

(Left) (center) (right)

How many shows do you set-up at?

BTW I have obviously sold multiplies of each of these books so I guess pay my market knowledge no mind.

Right now as of today's date Venom and Deadpool are 110% more popular characters than TMNT which I grew up with. My friend's son who just turned 7 yesterday asked me to buy him for his birthday Deadpool comics.

Again, you are cherry picking facts. I have been to dozens of shows and the reason that those books trade at a high rate is because there are literally tens of thousands more of them in market.

I am glad your friend's son likes Deadpool, ignoring the fact that Deadpool is probably inappropriate for a 7 year old - this isn't a solid argument. I could walk down the street and ask the little girl who lives on the corner and she would likely say "My Little Ponies Rule!" Does this mean My Little Pony is the most popular character in this discussion, nope.

TMNT sells hundreds of millions in merchandising every year (several billions over time). I would find it hard to beileve that a billion dollars total has been generated by deadpool merchandise since he was created.

They aren't even in the same league. It is like comparing Spawn to Spider-Man when Spawn was hot in the 90's.

I was not judging what the most important book was based on popularity of kids , I do agree that the turtles are more popular with kids (and some adults) though most seem to lose there interest when they get older (my son loved turtles when he was a kid like he liked the rugrats, the wiggles or sponge bob but not as much as he got older (used to get all the sponge bob comics as a kid but not anymore) ) , my opinion was based on my opinion of popularity of collectors .ASM 300 and or NM 98 and not even close in my opinion. They are the bigger keys.

Sounds like multiple points being argued in the same thread.

There's no question TMNT is unquestionably the larger property. I don't think it's a "billion dollar property"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/london-expo-nickelodeon-touts-475-649396

However, that not withstanding, the turtles are more powerful as a franchise.

That doesn't make the comic book "more requested or desired" than say, New Mutants 98 or whatever.

Value and importance may be separate from how the comic world judges popularity. Among comic collectors, I don't believe TMNT is nearly as popular as deadpool. Among people at large, TMNT wins in a landslide.

There's no question TMNT is unquestionably the larger property. I don't think it's a "billion dollar property"

That doesn't make the comic book "more requested or desired" than say, New Mutants 98 or whatever.

Value and importance may be separate from how the comic world judges popularity. Among comic collectors, I don't believe TMNT is nearly as popular as deadpool. Among people at large, TMNT wins in a landslide.

Good data, I revised.

(thumbs u

Thanks for echoing what I said earlier.

Your points are valid, but it really depends on who you ask when you say "comic collectors." Since we can't poll the world, we will likely never know.

I will contend though, that the most powerful franchises will drive the most valuable comics long term.