• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,684 posts in this topic

Holy Fudd, 'Bones!

Is that VCC windfall already spent?!

Great bunch of covers you're posting. All from the same source?

HoM 105 cover was recyled several more times, wasn't it?

Here's one.

49045-704_4_091.jpg

There's another one with an artist at an easel near a big, open window, isn't there? Maybe yellow background? I can't find it.

Jack

A BEAUTIFUL copy of a great cover.

2092116439_7d91a0e04d_o.jpg

"You can't see my face because your eyes have never looked higher than my neck, you #$%^& letcher!"

Jack

Adamstrange - I agree, not every cover was done with that attention to color detail , but a good many were, starting around 1954 and running into 1960 or so. I too wonder if those are Adler covers.

And Scrooge, here is one more HOM, again , that beautiful deep green, and Kirby inside.

2092981424_fdcf595fb8_o.jpg

"You can't see my face because your eyes have never looked higher than my neck, you #$%^& letcher!"

lol Let me guess, she's some sort of medusa-like creature and wears the mask so she doesn't turn her boyfriend into a statue too.

Wonderfully bizarre cover!

I see that people have already mentioned the many other "men sitting around a table with animal masks" DC covers.

I have to mention the oddly impossible shadows on the wall here. There's no shadow of the wolf head on the mouse's (rat's?) face, yet the mouse isn't casting a shadow between the wolf and the fox (dog?) -- ow, my brain hurts.

Mr. District Attorney definitely deserves to be called under-appreciated.

Jack

This cover cracks me up, It's one of my faves from the postcode era... :cloud9:

2096463558_c74a4f5834_o.jpg

Hey Jack! Not all of these are new, some I just never posted until now. My main VCC funds went to two GA books I'll be posting by the end of the week I Hope! I never noticed the shadows on that Mr. District Attorney, that just makes it even better!

The Unexpected #1 is the 1st one that came to my mind, but I know there are others on that theme, it's one they used to death!

Exactly!!!

I looked at every DC anthology title but that one, which completely slipped my mind.

Thanks,

Jack

There's another one with an artist at an easel near a big, open window, isn't there? Maybe yellow background? I can't find it.

:shy: Is that the one you're thinking about? (shrug)

Wow!

Chemistry PLUS gorilla cover!

Cardy/Adler, you think?

Single-digit HoS must be almost impossible to find.

Jack

Really pretty Pastel colors on the Cardy effort.

2094221806_a58e4312b3_o.jpg

I think Cardy/Adler yes! The Cardy is a given, I wish there were better credits out there on coloring. Looks so much like an Adler colored Psychadelic-era Aquaman Cardy cover to me. The single digits can be tricky, #6-9 seem to be the toughest, but none are impossible. My Greatest Adventure single digits as well as Unexpected are tougher IMHO.

Hey Jack! Not all of these are new, some I just never posted until now. My main VCC funds went to two GA books I'll be posting by the end of the week I Hope! I never noticed the shadows on that Mr. District Attorney, that just makes it even better!

The Unexpected #1 is the 1st one that came to my mind, but I know there are others on that theme, it's one they used to death!

It was used frequently in pre-code horror stories but I only recall it being used 3 or 4 covers prior to the advent of the code.

The Myron Fass cover on Beware #11 is one of the pre-code versions. And Punch #9 may be the first instance of it being used. What are the other pre-code cover versions?

Punch 9 is first and only GA cover I've found. Adventures into the Unknown 39 is another cover/story on that theme.

The Myron Fass cover on Beware #11 is one of the pre-code versions. And Punch #9 may be the first instance of it being used. What are the other pre-code cover versions?

Punch 9 is first and only GA cover I've found.

Classic -- looks like a prototype for Crumb's Snoid character.

Any idea who drew the cover?

Jack