• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

If you look at the GA cover contest for the Startling 49, that scan of that book is too bright. It looked odd enough that I looked it up on the Heritage site and it has been altered -- the large pic they have is much more reflective of what the book actually looks like. I sometimes struggle with that in doing my scans as I would like them to be reflective of the book I'm scanning. To some degree this isn't possible

I'll confess to that. It's always hard 1) because my screen at home is very deceiving compared to that at work so it's much more guessing than anything else there (things show too dark and I end up over-compensating hence the too-bright effect), 2) I haven't seen the book and the Heritage scans are of varying fidelity to the originals themselves, 3) scanning through a CGC case is tricky which doesn't help, 4) at times, I feel altering is a necessary evil in order to bring out some of the incredible detail in some covers and 5) let's face it, while I know my way around Photoshop, it isn't my area of expertise.

I sometimes wince at the result but speed was also of the essence. I am just very grateful that I can find large scans of spectacular examples of some of these tough books. Now, if only someone would direct me to a large scan of a Master 40 ...

No, it's not worked. I'll try again.

It's a 3-step process.

1. Attach your image as you did in your first post.

2. Then click on the attachment link and copy the URL.

3. The go back and edit your post to add the image tag.

As an alternative, you can use a photo-hosting site like Photobucket.com or flickr.com. People seem to prefer flickr these days.

Here's a link about how to make everything work with Photobucket.

Posting Images

Every one suffers through this at the start but we're very interested in seeing what you post so please don't give up.

If you look at the GA cover contest for the Startling 49, that scan of that book is too bright. It looked odd enough that I looked it up on the Heritage site and it has been altered -- the large pic they have is much more reflective of what the book actually looks like. I sometimes struggle with that in doing my scans as I would like them to be reflective of the book I'm scanning. To some degree this isn't possible

I'll confess to that. It's always hard 1) because my screen at home is very deceiving compared to that at work so it's much more guessing than anything else there (things show too dark and I end up over-compensating hence the too-bright effect), 2) I haven't seen the book and the Heritage scans are of varying fidelity to the originals themselves, 3) scanning through a CGC case is tricky which doesn't help, 4) at times, I feel altering is a necessary evil in order to bring out some of the incredible detail in some covers and 5) let's face it, while I know my way around Photoshop, it isn't my area of expertise.

I sometimes wince at the result but speed was also of the essence. I am just very grateful that I can find large scans of spectacular examples of some of these tough books. Now, if only someone would direct me to a large scan of a Master 40 ...

Please don't take my remark personally. You are doing a great job pulling together a nice set of scans to help the contest go well. thumbsup2.gif

I remarked because I know what they are supposed to look like so I'm much more sensitive than the average joe. Schomberg's airbrush cover do occasionally have intense colors (the printing process was inconsistent) but in many cases the appealing factor to the books is the more relaxed, subtle coloring of the originals. BTW, I have not seen any original art for one his airbrush covers (they would have to look spectacular), though I have seen a piece or two he created for magazines.

Please don't take my remark personally. You are doing a great job pulling together a nice set of scans to help the contest go well. thumbsup2.gif

No offense was taken. I actually like feedback on how the scans show up at other users' end. I have been wondering for a while if my scans show ok both for covers and interior scans. Since I use the board as my host, I know I lose details on the interior to stay within the imposed limit file size.

There's nothing better than going through each book to notice new details.

After a number attempts I can still only post as an attachment. The scans I've tried to show directly are on my PC. I browse from here and the file attaches. But I can't find a URL to copy and paste. Well, better than nothing!

After a number attempts I can still only post as an attachment. The scans I've tried to show directly are on my PC. I browse from here and the file attaches. But I can't find a URL to copy and paste. Well, better than nothing!

Once you see the attachment, click on Attachment. Your browser will display its assigned URL which is the one you need to copy and paste as I'm doing right now. It takes a couple of tries to get the hang of it. Sharp book !

1194568-StrangeTales%23101.jpg