• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,653 posts in this topic

I like both the Martin and Lewis and the Bob Hope series covers but I have never read an issue ... wait, I have a Bob Hope book. I'll check it out this weekend. Keep'em coming. thumbsup2.gif

Here's another Jerry, #50 from 1959. The condition is even worse than it looks -- missing a wrap.

1735451-jerry50.jpg

Jack

I really like this cover a lot. Just the way the people are drawn with the crosshatched shadows and the overall composition really makes for a nice cover. Beautiful copy as well.

Ken

Ok,,,,continuing on with the Jimmy 10 centers....number 13:

jo13.jpg

This next issue is one that I will need to upgrade eventually. I don't put alot of emphasis on looking for upgrade copies currently. Many of these issues in this number range are very difficult books to get above fine. Look at the facial expression on the young girl, can't you just hear her saying "My Hero!"

Here is Jimmy Olsen 14:

jo14.jpg

ActionComics161.jpg It's not really silver age, but it's not really a golden age either. Didn't know where else to post it

Never seen that Action...looks like a story I would like to read!

stradv93.jpg

That's a very difficult issue in that condition, much less with those beautiful WM colors. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Ok, marching onward...we are up to Jimmy Olsen 17. I remember when I bought this issue maybe 7 years ago or so at the San Diego Con. I found this 17 and a nice 19 the same day. I remember showing them to these two dealers I was talking to and one guy said to the other "nice books, you know what goes in the middle right?" The second guy turns to me and says "good luck on 18". foreheadslap.gif

It took seven years....seven years to find a "nice" 18. You guys get to see that tomorrow shy.gif

jo17.jpg

How's this?

<snip>

Adventures of Bob Hope 7 from 1951. Bottom staple detached, top one endangered, but only about $9 and I love it anyway.

Maybe that won't do. Zee Frainch, zey love Zhay-ree Lew-ees!

Jack

$9 893whatthe.gif What's gotten into you spending that kind of dough!! poke2.gif

I like both the Martin and Lewis and the Bob Hope series covers but I have never read an issue ... wait, I have a Bob Hope book. I'll check it out this weekend. Keep'em coming. thumbsup2.gif

bumpit.gif

Allright, I take it back about the $9. I also was profligate with my $$$ and paid $10 to John Hauser for my copy of issue # 13. It's a HQLG (High Quality Low Grade) copy from the Lennys Peterson collection -

1741948-BobHope13s.jpg

The cover actually matches the story inside. The Bob Hope segment is almost book-length. It's "cut" in 3 or 4 parts and the book ends with a Miss Beverly Hills of Hollywood back-up. The story is a typical romp with tons of mistaken identity bits and a chase for a missing camera along with two typical Hope schtick: his nose and his being constantly broke. Here's the splash opening the book. Clearly by Owen Fiztgerald and cloud9.gif as always -

1741948-BobHope13Story1s.jpg

1741948-BobHope13Story1s.jpg.b4f2f366539883f89245166458be53a9.jpg

Allright, I take it back about the $9. I also was profligate with my $$$ and paid $10 to John Hauser for my copy of issue # 13. It's a HQLG (High Quality Low Grade) copy from the Lennys Peterson collection -

Beat you by a buck!

Is HQLG better than BTH?

The cover actually matches the story inside. The Bob Hope segment is almost book-length. It's "cut" in 3 or 4 parts and the book ends with a Miss Beverly Hills of Hollywood back-up. The story is a typical romp with tons of mistaken identity bits and a chase for a missing camera along with two typical Hope schtick: his nose and his being constantly broke.

Three. You forgot being a horndog. That drives about 3/4 of the plots.

Here's the splash opening the book. Clearly by Owen Fitzgerald and cloud9.gif as always -

1741948-BobHope13Story1s.jpg

Good stuff. Thanks for the splash page scan.

Jack

Beat you by a buck!

Is HQLG better than BTH?

You bet. In HQLG front and back covers are generally attached together. In BTH, all bets are off!

foreheadslap.gif How could I forget the obvious. Plus it's clearly in evidence in the splash.

Now that you have a scanner, how about a scan of the splash of your issue? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif (unless you've already posted one and I forgot)

P.S.: Oh and I hope we're not ruining the thread. Let us know. We can take it elsewhere.

Beat you by a buck!

Is HQLG better than BTH?

You bet. In HQLG front and back covers are generally attached together. In BTH, all bets are off!

In BTH, they're not bagged for protection -- the bag keeps the pieces together.

foreheadslap.gif How could I forget the obvious. Plus it's clearly in evidence in the splash.

Now that you have a scanner, how about a scan of the splash of your issue? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif (unless you've already posted one and I forgot)

Of which book, Bob Hope 7?

I don't think that I've scanned or posted it. I'll try to oblige tomorrow.

P.S.: Oh and I hope we're not ruining the thread. Let us know. We can take it elsewhere.

Ruining the thread? We're MAKING the thread!

Although a separate DC humor thread would be great, I'm afraid that it would keep slipping out of sight. There's plenty of good material out there (celebrity humor, Fox & Crow, Funny Stuff, etc.) but not much interest on the boards. But just wait 'til my Bilko/Doberman books come in -- people will be begging for more!

Speaking of funny animal books, was anyone else following Sunday's GA (some were really SA) funny animal auctions from rcsage? They started out a little slow -- I won 4 of the first 25 or so -- then REALLY took off. Some surprisingly high closing prices. Somebody's interested in this stuff, even in gd to fn grades. I ended up with

LOONEY TUNES #215 SEP 1959 DELL

ANIMAL ANTICS #19 MAR-APR 1949 DC

BUSTER BUNNY #12 JAN 1952 STANDARD

DONALD DUCK (FC #394) MAY-JUN 1952 DELL

DONALD DUCK #33 JAN-FEB 1954 DELL

for about $20. The FC 394 was the big score, with the others spreading out the shipping for some fun reads. The Looney Tunes has a Mary Jane and Sniffles story -- those are good enough that I wish whoever owns the rights would collect them.

Jack

Speaking of funny animal books, was anyone else following Sunday's GA (some were really SA) funny animal auctions from rcsage? They started out a little slow -- I won 4 of the first 25 or so -- then REALLY took off. Some surprisingly high closing prices. Somebody's interested in this stuff, even in gd to fn grades. I ended up with

LOONEY TUNES #215 SEP 1959 DELL

ANIMAL ANTICS #19 MAR-APR 1949 DC

BUSTER BUNNY #12 JAN 1952 STANDARD

DONALD DUCK (FC #394) MAY-JUN 1952 DELL

DONALD DUCK #33 JAN-FEB 1954 DELL

for about $20. The FC 394 was the big score, with the others spreading out the shipping for some fun reads. The Looney Tunes has a Mary Jane and Sniffles story -- those are good enough that I wish whoever owns the rights would collect them.

Christo_pull_hair.gif Don't remind me of that fiasco. I was trying to get the Supermouse # 17 and put in a snipe for about $17. The book ended at over $20 which means that at least 2 other people wanted to pay more than I did for this random book. I thought I was being "aggressive" (please guys don't laugh) and still lost. This was over guide for a funny animal book from the 50s. I thought they were dead box material but I was proven wrong again. What bites is that it's a book I needed for my set. Plus on the same night, I lost on a Bill Boyd Western # 11 for which I bid about Guide Fine for a VG copy and also lost. frustrated.gif

I saw the Buster Bunny. That's the one with the slingshot for paper delivery, right? It's almost in my set but I take it as a bi-monthly and since it's the last issue I have it as a Jan / Feb so I am not going after it. In fact, it's quite common. It pops up on eBay regularly.

To keep with the thread, here's a 10 center - Wonder Woman # 52 -

1742773-WonderWoman52s.jpg

1742773-WonderWoman52s.jpg.d242cc0fd1273cf6612763cb82ce6852.jpg