• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,661 posts in this topic

Another Joker cover. This is a classic story, where Batman's arch enemy appears to give up his criminal lifestyle after inheriting a fortune.

"He's got a wad of bills large enough to choke a horse!" exclaims , as he and Bruce find themselves dining at an adjacent table to the Clown Prince...

DetectiveComics180.jpg

Cool cover on that one. I wish Gerber would have put out a DC silver age book. Didn't he take all the photos but it never got published?

Ken

He told me he had taken most or all of the photos but couldn't get publishing support.

Edited by adamstrange

This book Glows in hand, the colors and gloss are phenomenal!

I like this cover a lot. I noticed you had a lot of posts in bronze horror. Did you start out collecting bronze horror, and then recently move to silvers? I've just about completed most of the bronze horror stuff, but the silver looks absolutely daunting. And those HOM, HOS series just aren't truly complete until they're completely filled :(

Here is the long story

For me, HOM was the 1st title I had a couple of off of the news stand, and I decided that I like these so much, I am going to collect comics. Then they cancelled HOM about 5 months later! :frustrated:

I found a few at my local shop, all bronze, with a couple from the "Dark Years" with dial H. I finally found a few 10 centers at my 1st comic convention which I went to at around seventh grade or so., maybe 8th. I ended up liking all the homs, (And HOS) except the dial H issues, and put together quite a run over the years, but after high school I had sold that run to pay for a phone bill I racked up with an out of town girlfriend. :sick:

From about my mid twenties to around 30 or so I really went after the bronze, because it was cheaper & nostalgic. The Cain issues will always mean more to me. I eventually put together the entire DC bronze horror run, and kind of burnt out on it since I am not that concerned with super high grade.

Lately, I have been thinking about filling in the rest of the run, and I may do it, but that means I have to get the Dial H issues! It would be fun to have all 321. My main thing that gets me going about HOM now is original art with Cain, but I have bought every page that was available on the market, and am at a wall there since they are so hard to come by.

so that is the ridiculously long winded journey. I have to admit I really fell in love with 1954-1960 or so DC over the last year because of the intense & odd cover coloring, so that has helped propel me along. And any genre works for me in that time period if the colors are wild. Luckily it is not a very expensive era right now unless you are going after superheroes. If you were to pick FN or so, it would not be terribly expensive to get the mystery runs except for a few of the issues.

(thumbs u

This is the issue where Batman is given an intense phobia about Bats. Consequently, he embarks on a not too convincing new career as Starman. But he still fears Bats...

This must be the only showing of the Batcave fireplace?

DetectiveComics247.jpg

One of my favorite batman covers ever! :cloud9: