• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,661 posts in this topic

Not the best cover of the 1st 20, but such a solid copy I couldn't pass it up.

Your "House of" books are blowin' me away, 'bones.

Fun to see yet another "creature from my story" cover, this time a writer instead of artist.

I wonder how many times DC used that shtick.

Jack

[PS: Can you actually tell Ely from Brown from Elias from etc. on these DC anthology covers?]

49363-houseofsecrets_018_raw_8_0_oww_a.jpg

Edited by selegue

This book Glows in hand, the colors and gloss are phenomenal!

49362-houseofsecrets_017_raw_7_5_ow_a.jpg

What striking colors on that book. I don't think I've noticed that cover before at all. Wow! :applause:

Even in the 1960s Superboy was a bit of a back-water title. These two issues, though, illustrate a decade of change, most of which happened in a rush, after 1967.

#78, from Jan 1960 is clearly a 1950s book, complete with those dreamy colors and images of a bygone era:

Superboy78.jpg

By Dec 1969 the Neal Adams cover has SUCH a different image, complete with moody teenager Clark and....who are they?....the KENTS!

What happened to that kindly old couple? (Please excuse the 15-center in this thread)

Superboy161a.jpg

Some nice night sky colors on these two books:

DetectiveComics216.jpg

Gorgeous colors again with a very simple, effective and appealing design. :cloud9:

Here is the long story

For me, HOM was the 1st title I had a couple of off of the news stand, and I decided that I like these so much, I am going to collect comics. Then they cancelled HOM about 5 months later! :frustrated:

I found a few at my local shop, all bronze, with a couple from the "Dark Years" with dial H. I finally found a few 10 centers at my 1st comic convention which I went to at around seventh grade or so., maybe 8th. I ended up liking all the homs, (And HOS) except the dial H issues, and put together quite a run over the years, but after high school I had sold that run to pay for a phone bill I racked up with an out of town girlfriend. :sick:

From about my mid twenties to around 30 or so I really went after the bronze, because it was cheaper & nostalgic. The Cain issues will always mean more to me. I eventually put together the entire DC bronze horror run, and kind of burnt out on it since I am not that concerned with super high grade.

Lately, I have been thinking about filling in the rest of the run, and I may do it, but thatmeans I have to get the Dial H issues! It would be fun to have all 321. My main thing that gets me going about HOM now is original art with Cain, but I have bought every page that was available on the market, and am at a wall there since they are so hard to come by.

so that is the ridiculously long winded journey. I have to admit I really fell in love with 1954-1960 or so DC over the last year because of the intense & odd cover coloring, so that has helped propel me along. And any genre works for me in that time period if the colors are wild. Luckily it is not a very expensive era right now unless you are going after superheroes. If you were to pick FN or so, it would not be terribly expensive to get the mystery runs except for a few of the issues.

(thumbs u

Cool, thanks for the background. Your interest in Cain reminded me that i saw something peculiar the other day. I was reading a roots of the swamp thing issue with reprints. It had a story in the back, and I thought to myself, "is that....?" Sure and sure enough it was cain. Not sure if it was originally from swamp thing or another title, but it was cool seeing a wrightson cain I hadn't seen before.

82st8pw.jpg

Steelcity,

I have to say you have an amazing...stunning collection! Don't ever feel for a moment that no one is paying attention or that your "bragging" by posting one geougous comic after another. We are all comi\c lovers here and I appreciate you sharing this awesome collection with us.

Any Showcase, Brave and the Bold or Superman's?