• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help solving a problem

66 posts in this topic

Most of you know that I'm so new at this that I'm pretty much stupid at it. :)

my wife acquired about 2,000 comics in random lots for a very low average price per comic as a Father's Day present for me. She knew how much I love comics and thought it would be good for me to get back into it. The comics are all in really good condition, very few with any easily noticable damage or anything like that.

Problem: I need to get rid of the duplicates and stuff I just don't have any interest in collecting before I can start acquiring the stuff I want. It was suggested here that I use mycomicshop. I've been adding stuff to that site, but they are not accepting anything I have. I've entered about 200 comics and they're interested in 3 or 4.

I thought about Ebay, but I don't have any feedback there, and I'm afraid the costs would make selling them a waste of time.

Is there a better way to get rid of these comics so I can make room for the stuff I really want to collect, or is this the best option?

Have you tried these boards?

Donating them is always a respectable thing to do as well.

I can sell on the boards? How does that work?

Donating is a good idea as well. I may do a little of both.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=80&PHPSESSID=

You can sell them in the marketplace. I suggest you read this before you do though.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1460472&page=1#Post1460472

Good luck!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=80&page=1

I'm looking at the sales board (I didn't even know it was there). I may try to sell some there.

The other thing that makes me nervous is shipping. I saw the thread on shipping out 10 comics for international shipping. Is there a resource that will show me the best way to ship 2 or 3 comics domestically? I don't want to go overboard, but I also don't want to send people damaged stuff.

By the way...you guys are awesome!

I'm looking at the sales board (I didn't even know it was there). I may try to sell some there.

The other thing that makes me nervous is shipping. I saw the thread on shipping out 10 comics for international shipping. Is there a resource that will show me the best way to ship 2 or 3 comics domestically? I don't want to go overboard, but I also don't want to send people damaged stuff.

By the way...you guys are awesome!

its common to ship 1-4 comic (that aren't terribly high value) in a 'cardboard' sandwich inside of a Flat Rate Priority Envelope, which will run you between $5-$6. Put the comics in the middle of the cardboard sandwich (2 cardboard breads a little bigger than the comics), make sure tape is applied solidly but won't hurt the comics when removed and also that the comics won't move. Some people prefer to send/receive comics in boxes.

It might be beneficial to buy some comics (if you were going to anyways) from some boardies and see how they package.

I've entered about 200 comics and they're interested in 3 or 4.

Then you need to keep those 3-4 comics and sell them on eBay or on here.

Just keep the rest and hope some of it appreciates in value enough to sell. In the future, quality over quantity (unless you're buying collections cheap) is always the best way to go.

When I had a bunch of comics I wanted to get rid of (cause I was moving out of the country) I had a mystery box sale here in the marketplace forum.

For the price of a Medium Flat rate priority box (what is it $12) buyers got a box full of comics. I sorted them, and packed them in sets and common subjects. Think I sold (really just gave away) 15 of them and in the process sowed a lot of good will around the boards.