• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help solving a problem

66 posts in this topic

That's a neat idea, Miraclemet. I may do that. According to the price guide, most of what I own is worth about $3 each. So, if I'm understanding what you did, i'd sell for an average of $2 per comic, plus the $12 shipping?

Is that about how you did it?

That's a neat idea, Miraclemet. I may do that. According to the price guide, most of what I own is worth about $3 each. So, if I'm understanding what you did, i'd sell for an average of $2 per comic, plus the $12 shipping?

not bad idea. The problem is that OFTEN (not always), things that are 'listed' at $3 in the price guide or on ebay are very tough to realize for the full $3 when you actually try to sell them. More often than not, must of those 'commons' are generally sold for less than a dollar, and possibly much less (per comic) in bulk (similar to how you acquired those comics). Of course every situation is different, but that is a common situation.

Basically what you have is drek-books that really no one wants. My buddy bought over 200 longboxes of such for $250. That's less than a penny a book. They just are not saleable.

Gotcha. so I'd be better off selling for like $.75 on average just to make room. I'm fine with that, I just want to get rid of the issues and give the boardies a good deal. If I can acquire a little cash to buy more comics, then so much the better.

Gotcha. so I'd be better off selling for like $.75 on average just to make room. I'm fine with that, I just want to get rid of the issues and give the boardies a good deal. If I can acquire a little cash to buy more comics, then so much the better.

You may not even get that. Have you thought about maybe selling the whole lot to a comic store? Of course you would get a very low offer, but might be able to move them in one shot. And not have to worry about shipping out 500 packages.

I feel like you are not understanding what everyone is saying. Those kinds of books are not worth anything. Does not matter what the price guide says.

That's not entirely true, it just may take more effort than it's worth to sell.

I do understand, but the previous poster said he sold a bunch of his stuff that way, so I'm trying to figure out how he did it.

Believe it or not, none of my local comic book shops actually buy comics.

How can I tell if a comic is something that is worth selling, if the price guide isn't a good measuring stick in these cases?

IF you want to look them all up (Which probably isn't worth the time), you can use ebay finished sales to see what's worth more than $5. But assuming your time has any value, its probably not worth it.

My advice: read them all once (at your leisure), enjoy them, as they were a gift. THen after an appropriate amount of time, take them into your local comic store, ask for an offer. Then after the offer, counter offer for 20% more, and take it.

If they are drek, yard sale is the best bet. Offer books at $1, sell what you can, and hope someone makes an offer on the whole thing. An auction house may work for you too, plenty of people who think it's still the 90's.

Drek are comics you almost have to pay someone to take off your hands

(picture a corroded penny lying in the street)

unfortunately there is a high likelihood 99.8% of your 2000 comics are "drek"

You know they were a gift from his wife right?

OP - bundle all the doubles together and donate them to charity and use it as a tax write-off. Selling them won't likely net you much money and will likely take a lot of time.

PS - don't forget to thank your wife for such a thoughtful gift. It is always great when someone you love takes the time to get something for you that you will enjoy.

I see the confusion. I apologize. I think you misunderstood Miraclemets post. He gave the books away. Only charging for the shipping.

Two thousand books. That's a nice big stack and a kind gift.

Keep them all. Put them away somewhere that's good storage for books and pull them back out in twenty years -- it'll be good fun all over again. :grin:

I will say many a drek book one day became a valuable key because of a movie.