• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Most Under-valued Books in the OS Guide?

89 posts in this topic

Since I'm mostly collecting good girl art GA covers these days, I'll stick to these books. I'll let the experts handle the other GA, SA, BA and MA books.

Blue Beetle #54 - This book hardly shows up and usually goes for multiples of guide when it does.

Wings Comics #91 - Definitely more sought after than the surrounding Wings books.

Wonder Comics #15

Jo-Jo Comics #25

Most "Junior Comics"

Planet Comics #65

Woner Woman #105

There are also a few classic GA war covers that usually sell for higher prices than listed in the OS guide.

Lots of early (pre issue #135) Strange Tales in CGC 9.4.

Most CGC 9.4 SA Marvels go for between 2.5-3.5 guide of 9.2.

Many ST in CGC 9.4 go for 5-6x guide (i.e. double the norm) and that's when they are available.

If anyone has issues #101-132 in CGC 9.4 and wants a pretty penny, PM me.

I've noticed the same thing with JIM issues. seems like lately I've seen tons of high grade (starting as "low" as 8.5) JIM's selling for WAY over guide. I've been opting for the mid-grades which usually go for at-or-less than guide myself...

wonder if high-grade JIM collectors would agree?

I've noticed the same thing with JIM issues. seems like lately I've seen tons of high grade (starting as "low" as 8.5) JIM's selling for WAY over guide. I've been opting for the mid-grades which usually go for at-or-less than guide myself...

JIMs are hot and always get high premiums over guide for issues between 83 - 115 in VF+ and above. No question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JIMs are hot and always get high premiums over guide for issues between 83 - 115 in VF+ and above. No question.

Absolutely!!

The reason I didn't mention JIM first, was because

1) Guide did bump the value up a ton last year (still not enough).

2) And it seems that many issues are become available for sale, which I believe will stabilize (if not decrease) prices somewhat.

Basically, big collections of JIM's came to market over the past six months and that has caused an increase in supply. Unfortunately for me, no Strange Tales collection has come out.

Think of it this way:

Say a Collector decides to part with his CGC 9.6 JIM #XX book. So it is listed and then sold. The buyer, already had a CGC 9.4 copy so he listed his and that sells, to someone who had a CGC 9.2 copy and so on.

One book coming to market can create several more books coming to market, so imagine a major run all being sold.

Marvel Spotlight #5-book has been selling for over guide since 2000 in any and all grades.

OK, so here's my question (asked in some form or another in other threads): Is the market independent of OS, or based on it? People always say that a price guide is just that, a guide. The real value is what people will pay.

So guide says $100 for a book, and people know it sells for 2x guide, so they pay $200. If the guide reflects that, and increases to $200, does the market value remain $200, or jump to $400?

Say what you want about it being a dead title, but though in high supply, some of the non-BWS conan books from the 70s are dirt cheap in OPG and in the market.

Mid-70s Savage Swords are like $7-10 in NM- in OPG. That's nuts when compared to some of the junk comics that guide for that much.

Continued success of the new series and coming out with a good movie could help these books, many of which are real works of art. (Speaking of art... has anyone tried to buy as SSC buscema page? Yikes! For books that are not sought after in the market, the art is pretty darn expensive.)

There are some SSC 9.8s up right now, but that jabba guy has bid on them, so I suspect it's not even worth bothering.

If Overstreet doubles the price of a book, that doesn't mean the market will move at all (if it was already paying a huge premium).

JIM's is an example of that. They aren't selling for anymore than a year ago before Overstreet double the price.

Realize the major variance in MULTIPLES (i.e. late SA issues might barely get a 1.5 multiple while early issues might get 4-5 multiple) only applies to NM, which is NOT listed in Overstreet anymore.

So in theory, they made the guide a little more accurate by NOT estimating a price. Of course they are still way too high on most mid-grade books.

Rob,

I think you answered the first question yourself-A book is worth what someone will pay for it.

As for the second, I say NO, in MSpot#5 case an increse would bring it closer to actual prices realized. 5.0-5.5's(raw) have been selling for $75-$100, and the guide has 6.0 at $45.