• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Most Under-valued Books in the OS Guide?

89 posts in this topic

X-Men 67-93 reprint issues - unless you are a high grade completist, most people do not realize how hard these are to find. Take a look at the census at issues 73, 76, 79- they are impossible to find in high grade. Guide should be twice of what it is.

X-men # 79 is the toughest of any bronze age book to find in high grade. There are none above 9.2 in the census. 893whatthe.gif

sorry.gif

Kirby issues of Black Magic--the original, 50's Prize version (#1 not included, as that one is already pretty steep in guide)

Great Comics #3

Crime Suspenstories #22

Shock Suspenstories #12

last few issues of All-Star (let's say #52-#57)

Weird Mysteries #5

Weird Terror #7

Hansi, The Girl Who Loved the Swastika in strict NM- or better

Miracleman no. 23 and 24 in 9.6 and above - look at the census, especially no. 23. Far rarer than no.15.

Miracleman 3D in 2D variant - only around 100 published in 1986 - cover indistinguishable from the normal version... only ever seen one on ebay in four years... I would pay $500 for one in NM. Not even mentioned in Overstreet.

Space Adeventures no.14 - NEVER seen one ANYWHERE.

Nature Boy - no. 3 and no.4 - especially no.3 with the Buscema cover. Rare as f**kery.

How about New Adventures 26? Seems a little under-valued to me...

Well remember that I refused to pay just over ten times guide as a point of principle.

Whereas, I'd buy a spare Superman/Bradman comic for a hundred times guide most gladly.

At just under $1500 for an 8.0 grade, I don't consider New Adventure 26 to be so undervalued in the guide.

All the surrounding issues usually sell for less than this.

The fact that I'd pay more is only becasue it's the last comic I need. It isn't priced way out of whack in the guide, like Double Action 2 is, or the Superman/Bradman, or Supergear, all of which are a standing joke.

Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children 30

Issue 27 is the hardest.

But all the last ten or eleven are impossible to locate, never turn up, and are the rarest set of all modern comics. The surviving copies out of a tiny print run must be infinitessimal. How did it ever make it to thirty issues ?? The two specials, "Cotton Candy Autopsy", and "What If This Were Heaven, Wouldn't That Be Hell", are even rarer, as is the eight page preview too. And neither the second Special, nor the Preview, are even mentioned in Overstreet as even existing.

I agree with some of the books on that list but many of those books can be grabbed in "blow out sets" for fractions of those prices. A Harbinger 0-6 set can be grabbed with little work for around $50 but according to your list it would be around $150. I'd be happy to get a lot of those prices on that list. grin.gif Other than the variants I'd say most all of those prices are high. confused-smiley-013.gif

One other point, you have Vintage Magnus # 1 $2.25 (overstreet) $4.44 2x guide yet if you factor in your $4 shipping for the book, the seller only got 44 cents. crazy.gif Not taking into account e-bay or Paypal fees.

I'd be happy to get a lot of those prices on that list. grin.gif

I guess you should have sold in 2004, then. poke2.gif

Note, I include shipping costs in the sales averages...

because a $5 comic with $3 shipping is a comic that cost $8 to obtain.

(The seller only nets $5, but we're talking about collectors here.) grin.gif

Yes, a set of Harbinger 0 - 6 might sell for $50 on Ebay from time to time,

but it will also regularly sell over $100 individually, assuming condition & coupons are there,

with $40-$80 for Harbinger 0 Pink cover, $20-$30 for Harbinger 1 (with coupon),

and around $5-$15 each for the remaining four books.

Condition, as well as intact coupons, are the key factors in Harbinger 1-6.

Ebayers who sell them as a single lot, or neglect to mention the coupons

may be leaving money on the table.

I think your prices are still too high. Even with shipping.

A pink Harbinger 0 by your list says $69.48 yet GPA has a CGC 9.4 at $52.51 crazy.gif

Overstreet has a 9.2 at $28.

GPA has a CGC 9.2 at $32, I'd say the book is really close on that one.

2.5X guide doesn't seem correct.

I think your prices are still too high. Even with shipping.

A pink Harbinger 0 by your list says $69.48 yet GPA has a CGC 9.4 at $52.51 crazy.gif

Overstreet has a 9.2 at $28.

GPA has a CGC 9.2 at $32, I'd say the book is really close on that one.

2.5X guide doesn't seem correct.

Guide is based on actual sales including shipping for unslabbed books.

Harbinger 0 Pink (raw), advertised as 'near mint' on Ebay:

ValiantComics.com Current Guide Value: $70

One Month Average Actual Ebay Sales:$68.00, 4 sales

Three Month Average Actual Ebay Sales: $72.35, 20 sales

Six Month Average Actual Ebay Sales: $66.65, 49 sales

It appears that Ebay buyers are "risking it" by paying more for raw books

than they are willing to pay for guaranted CGC 9.2 or even CGC 9.4,

however, the ungraded value (actual sales) is easily closer to $70 than $28.

(I have 23 sales of CGC 9.4s and 5 sales of CGC 9.2s in my records,

and you're right, they're not selling for more than their raw counterparts.)

Given that no one pays even close to 100% of Overstreet for raw 1990s books,

shouldn't OS list this one for about $200 if it actually sells for $70? stooges.gif

The two specials, "Cotton Candy Autopsy", and "What If This Were Heaven, Wouldn't That Be Hell", are even rarer, as is the eight page preview too. And neither the second Special, nor the Preview, are even mentioned in Overstreet as even existing.

One did show up on eBay recently....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3979&item=6509170289&rd=1

Lots of early (pre issue #135) Strange Tales in CGC 9.4.

Most CGC 9.4 SA Marvels go for between 2.5-3.5 guide of 9.2.

Many ST in CGC 9.4 go for 5-6x guide (i.e. double the norm) and that's when they are available.

If anyone has issues #101-132 in CGC 9.4 and wants a pretty penny, PM me.

yup - i sold my first 4 issues(105, 117,118,120) of ST's in 9.4 for 7x's guide (9.2) each. then the 115 went for just under 5 x's. pretty hot books................ thumbsup2.gif

Have you gotten the Showcase #45 back yet from CGC?

i will be dropping it off on saturday with CGC at Wondercon, along with about 19 other HG SA DC's (and a couple Marvels) via standard submissions. hoping they all come back at 9.0 and higher............ 893crossfingers-thumb.gif