• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"German Edition" Comics. Are They Counterfeit, Reprints, or Variants?

61 posts in this topic

Oakman: Though the commonly accepted terminology is changing, these are all legally licensed reprints of the American material in their respective countries, so we can probably safely call them foreign reprints. If they had been published closer to the American publication date, calling them reprints isn't entirely applicable; more like editions.

Are they as scarce as I've come to understand?

I don't have print run info handy but no, they didn't make very many of them. :foryou:

Less than 1000 copies were produced.

The German Edition books are reprints released as bonus books in several Marvel themed bundle packages of 4 recent or backstock german editions in 1999 to celebrate Marvels 60th anniversary.

Among these were also 1:20 variants with a 60th Marvel gold stamp on the front cover of the reprinted books. Unfortunately I have no secured information about the total print run of the anniversary packs.

Here is a list of the anniversary packs.

Anniversary Pack 1 Captain America Comics 1

Anniversary Pack 2 Daredevil 1

Anniversary Pack 3 Fantastic Four 1

Anniversary Pack 4 Marvel Comics 1

Anniversary Pack 5 The incredible Hulk 1

Anniversary Pack 6 X-Men 1

Anniversary Pack 7 Journes into Mystery 83

Anniversary Pack 8 The incredible Hulk 181

Anniversary Pack 9 Tales of Suspense 39

Anniversary Pack 10 Giant-Size X-Men

Anniversary Pack 11 Avengers 1

Anniversary Pack 12 Strange Tales 135

some pictures

i57jewed.jpg gzrm9nxf.jpg xpbcpkri.jpg u5ff5x3a.jpg j22y3d95.jpg 3zwuopbs.jpg 54jzwog9.jpg e8iz3ena.jpg

In 2000 Panini released more bundle packages with reprints, but as far as I know those weren't as successful as the first ones.

Marvel Knight Pack 1 - Daredevil 7

Marvel Knight Pack 2 - The Fantastic Four 46

Marvel Knight Pack 4 - Tales of Suspense 52

Marvel Knight Pack 5 - The amazing Spider-Man 129

Marvel Knight Pack 6 - Strange Tales 110, 111, 114, 115

What about the German editions from 1999. I hear they are quite scarce.

There appear to be two variants of the Marvel reprints. All the ones I own do not have the Gold Foil on the cover. I've seen claims that only about 100 of the Gold Foil issues were released but have no idea if it is true or even if the Gold foil is an aftermarket gimmick someone came up with.

I've read that there were approximately 1000 of the Gold Foil variants issued, less in some cases, which corresponds with the print run of the regular 1999 reprints.

I have seen quite a few "German Edition" comics for sale on eBay and am wondering if they are considered true variants, foreign variants, reprints or counterfeits?

Some of them seem to have been printed around the same time as the original US edition, but others are printed years later.

Marvel and DC have officially licenced printings all over the world where they are translated into the respective country's language.

Take Fantastic Four #52 for example. It was first printed in Germany as 'Die Fantastischen Vier' #14 in 1967, but it was later reprinted by a different publisher in 1975.

photo FF521_zps4vnva8fu.jpg

photo FF522_zps7slgggb1.jpg

As well all know, the original "pence variants" are just that, variants of the original printed at the same time. The irony of course is they're valued much less, when the reality is they're much rarer!

This drives me demented. They're from the same US print run as the cents copies, printed at exactly the same time on the same machines with the same plates. They barely even constitute as variants! And yet, just because they weren't destined for the domestic market they are somehow regarded inferior.

What about the German editions from 1999. I hear they are quite scarce.

There appear to be two variants of the Marvel reprints. All the ones I own do not have the Gold Foil on the cover. I've seen claims that only about 100 of the Gold Foil issues were released but have no idea if it is true or even if the Gold foil is an aftermarket gimmick someone came up with.

I've read that there were approximately 1000 of the Gold Foil variants issued, less in some cases, which corresponds with the print run of the regular 1999 reprints.

I have seen quite a few "German Edition" comics for sale on eBay and am wondering if they are considered true variants, foreign variants, reprints or counterfeits?

Some of them seem to have been printed around the same time as the original US edition, but others are printed years later.

Marvel and DC have officially licenced printings all over the world where they are translated into the respective country's language.

Take Fantastic Four #52 for example. It was first printed in Germany as 'Die Fantastischen Vier' #14 in 1967, but it was later reprinted by a different publisher in 1975.

photo FF521_zps4vnva8fu.jpg

photo FF522_zps7slgggb1.jpg

As well all know, the original "pence variants" are just that, variants of the original printed at the same time. The irony of course is they're valued much less, when the reality is they're much rarer!

This drives me demented. They're from the same US print run as the cents copies, printed at exactly the same time on the same machines with the same plates. They barely even constitute as variants! And yet, just because they weren't destined for the domestic market they are somehow regarded inferior.

I love and agree with everything you've said!

Have you checked out the FCC Boards? In case you haven't, we'd love to have you join in on the community over there (thumbs u

www.ForeignComicDB.com

Have you checked out the FCC Boards? In case you haven't, we'd love to have you join in on the community over there (thumbs u

www.ForeignComicDB.com

I'll have a look, thanks. ;)

I have an Avengers #9 German edition. I think the contents inside are actually Avengers #10 and the date inside is from the 70's . Not sure about the date, but If I am remembering right I noticed it wasnt even close to the US # 9 or 10 printing date .

Also for what it is worth, not all foreign printings of comics are merely reprints of the American property.

Sure, but these late-90's German comics (like Hulk 181) the OP is asking about *are* clearly foreign reprints, having appeared DECADES after the originals. It's really no different than the Marvel Milestone reprints, only they are German.

didnt they print german issues of GA Caps of him fighting the nazis in germany? Because that is really weird.

didnt they print german issues of GA Caps of him fighting the nazis in germany? Because that is really weird.

Yeah, but they altered the swastikas:

8695917125_7dfe2225e9_b.jpg

Mine came back as a 9.4, but it is my most cherished comic.

Yeah, but they altered the swastikas

They had to, by law.

They had to, by law.

Foreign books often get re-purposed in funky ways. There can be little changes or big changes, major changes to story or artwork. Thats why in the foreign niche world we have moved on to calling these books foreign editions. :gossip:

They had to, by law.

Foreign books often get re-purposed in funky ways. There can be little changes or big changes, major changes to story or artwork. Thats why in the foreign niche world we have moved on to calling these books foreign editions. :gossip:

Agreed. In the case of these later 1990's ones, however, I can definitely see the argument for these ones being included in the "reprint" category as well :foryou:

I've seen a couple of Spanish language books that contain stories from different companies. Are these bootlegs or did Marvel and DC license to the same company?

Do you have any examples? Bootlegs are much less commonplace than one might expect. Oftentimes, yes, both DC and Marvel (among other publishers) did all license to the same company.

In Spain, the main publishing houses who had the Marvel and DC licenses were Vertice, Planeta DeAgostini (under the Comics Forum imprint) and now Panini España.

However, my theory is that you are thinking of the Mexican publisher Novaro, which published primarily DC books (a grip ton of them from the 50's all the way to the late 80's, IIRC) but also had the license for Hulk.

For example, here in the UK Secret Wars II ran for 48 issues!! This is how X-men #196 looked to us.

photo X196 1_zpsggikaaaq.jpg photo X196 2_zpsc9cfvenp.jpg