• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the one comic that brought you back to collecting?

70 posts in this topic

It wasnt a comic. I had a happy and content life and larger bank account until that fateful day back in the spring of 2010. My girlfriend wanted to buy me a gift and knew I was into superheroes. She surprised me with an Amazing Spiderman pint glass. It was a great gift but had I known what would follow I would never have asked her where she had found it. She told me about a shop not too far from my house that sold comics, figures, books and cards. I was intrigued and would pass by it but business kept me from following up on locating it.

A few weeks later I was back in town and we were having lunch at a nearby restaurant. When we leaving I noticed a busy crowd gathered around outside a nearby storefront. when I wondered out loud what was going on over there my girlfriend told me that's the same place she bought my pint glass from. Curious we drove closer and as soon as my eyes recognized the unmistakable size and shape of comic longboxes, my heart skipped a beat and memories flooded in of countless hours of joy and anticipation digging through comics at shows and shops as a kid. I could even smell that wonderful distinctive musty odor of aging recycled newsprint, paper and ink. Then I felt it. That old familiar flame burning in the pit of my chest. And it wasn't just burrito heartburn.

I tried to fight it and told myself no, I'm too old for this stuff, but internally I knew I would lose this struggle. Fighting the urge to run ahead leaving my girlfriend barely exiting the car and dive into the nearest long box I faked my casual interest until I began to see old and new comics from the last 30 years. For a while I reassured my girlfriend I was just browsing but it wasn't long before I was elbow deep into long box after long box walking down memory lane. I didn't realize when I had completely forgotten all about my girlfriend as nostalgia overcame me but about an hour and a stack of comics later I recognized the irritation in her voice: are you done yet? It was Free Comic Book day and i was hooked. I knew I was from that day on.

A month later I had a pull list, was raiding yard and estate sales and acquiring and selling collections off craigslist. Soon I was buying off ebay, heritage and comic link spending thousands. By the end of 2010 I had nearly a full run of ASM and UXM in decent grade and a part time ebay and shipping operation run out of my basement.

In 2011 and 2012 I had to pull back and refocus. My hobby had turned into a part time business and was eating up too much time. 5 years later I'm still recovering from the hangover of my binge collecting but snagged some great deals back then. All because of a damn ed spider pint glass.

Classic. Good story! I think most of us can relate to elements you outline here.

2010 Wife and I moved to a new, rural town. Winter was a killer and I was felling nostalgic. Looked online and saw there was a comic shop 30 miles south of me. lol

Took a trip and picked up the Preacher Texas TPB and a book I always wanted to read, The Crow GN. Haven't left since.

It wasnt a comic. I had a happy and content life and larger bank account until that fateful day back in the spring of 2010. My girlfriend wanted to buy me a gift and knew I was into superheroes. She surprised me with an Amazing Spiderman pint glass. It was a great gift but had I known what would follow I would never have asked her where she had found it. She told me about a shop not too far from my house that sold comics, figures, books and cards. I was intrigued and would pass by it but business kept me from following up on locating it.

A few weeks later I was back in town and we were having lunch at a nearby restaurant. When we leaving I noticed a busy crowd gathered around outside a nearby storefront. when I wondered out loud what was going on over there my girlfriend told me that's the same place she bought my pint glass from. Curious we drove closer and as soon as my eyes recognized the unmistakable size and shape of comic longboxes, my heart skipped a beat and memories flooded in of countless hours of joy and anticipation digging through comics at shows and shops as a kid. I could even smell that wonderful distinctive musty odor of aging recycled newsprint, paper and ink. Then I felt it. That old familiar flame burning in the pit of my chest. And it wasn't just burrito heartburn.

I tried to fight it and told myself no, I'm too old for this stuff, but internally I knew I would lose this struggle. Fighting the urge to run ahead leaving my girlfriend barely exiting the car and dive into the nearest long box I faked my casual interest until I began to see old and new comics from the last 30 years. For a while I reassured my girlfriend I was just browsing but it wasn't long before I was elbow deep into long box after long box walking down memory lane. I didn't realize when I had completely forgotten all about my girlfriend as nostalgia overcame me but about an hour and a stack of comics later I recognized the irritation in her voice: are you done yet? It was Free Comic Book day and i was hooked. I knew I was from that day on.

A month later I had a pull list, was raiding yard and estate sales and acquiring and selling collections off craigslist. Soon I was buying off ebay, heritage and comic link spending thousands. By the end of 2010 I had nearly a full run of ASM and UXM in decent grade and a part time ebay and shipping operation run out of my basement.

In 2011 and 2012 I had to pull back and refocus. My hobby had turned into a part time business and was eating up too much time. 5 years later I'm still recovering from the hangover of my binge collecting but snagged some great deals back then. All because of a damn ed spider pint glass.

Nice story.

I was burnt out in wasting my life on MMO's. Never read a comic before but lived on the cartoons in the 90's never missed any of them. I hit up our local comic shop right around the time the new 52 dropped. I loved the idea of getting into things on issue 1. I enjoyed it but was always a marvel fanboy. I got Waids DD run while it was new and got toally hooked. Just sold my new 52 issues and made a pretty good profit lol. My first buys went well.

I'm almost 40 and I took 25 years off. ASM 700 via Midtown started to pull me back in. I bought several variants and sold them on ebay once I saw the going price.

After that purchase, I bought the digital Walking Dead digital collection, which eventually compelled me to visit my LCS. At my LCS, I saw New Mutants 98 for sale and I had no idea that it had exploded. I remember buying it, being disappointed, and wishing I bought more New Mutants 87. Lucky older me. Since then, I've been in full swing and just submitted my first batch of 10 comics to CGC with many more to go. It still will be tough for me to sell some of my original books.

Waid's Daredevil (vol 3.) for me. Yeah, it had been 30 years since I bought my last comic book.

The best comic being made today. To bad it's ending. I'm gonna miss the lighter tone. Bet you it's going to be way more gritty now to be like the show.

Years ago, a lady I was dating recommended Crisis on Infinite Earths & Dark Dominion.

I really enjoyed both. Thus reigniting a decade old flame. The last comic I bought off the rack before that was Whitley Striber's Communion.

I'm just six months into the world of comics! The book that started this wild ride.... Harley Quinn bombshell variant!

I came upon it by chance searching for WWII vintage pin ups on ebay loved the cover and bought it. Since that fateful day late last year I've now amassed a fairly large collection, silver age mostly.

A complete noob, loving the hobby massively and educating myself all thing comics!

Happy days!

I'm just six months into the world of comics! The book that started this wild ride.... Harley Quinn bombshell variant!

I came upon it by chance searching for WWII vintage pin ups on ebay loved the cover and bought it. Since that fateful day late last year I've now amassed a fairly large collection, silver age mostly.

A complete noob, loving the hobby massively and educating myself all thing comics!

Happy days!

Welcome. This is the best place to learn for sure.

Hadn't collected or read anything since around 1993, but last year saw the news that Marvel was coming out with a new official Star Wars series (and related titles) and being a Star Wars geek I jumped back in and been hooked again since.

You missed 22 years of terrific and, at the time, "official" Star Wars comics. Now you have some catching up to do!

It happened twice for me...... both casual purchases from a7-11 spinner rack :cloud9: .... first was FF 244 and the second time was polybag Spider-man 1. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Blackest Night brought me back into collecting comics (had to have the full run).

TMNT 1 brought me back into collecting key issues (slabs).

Showcase 4 stole my heart.

Brave and the Bold 28 locked it away.

Incredible Hulk 1 threw away the key.

Amazing Fantasy 15 left me with no regrets.

:grin: